Innocent person shot dead in Limerick

The zeitgeist should propel any initiative. If this gets put on the back burner (like the case of that poor young apprentice who was murdered in north Dublin a while back - because he witnesed a killing), it will be another great chance down the drain. It's about time that the PR people in the gardai started doing the job that they are getting paid for (ie. tackling crime) instead of massaging the egos of their handlers.

There have been some good points made in this discussion.
I think the guards would feel that when they catch criminals, build cases etc the criminals are let off lightly or completely by the courts. They know their rights after all. I do not agree with concurrent sentencing for hardened criminals.

I was just thinking that The criminal must cost us a fortune over his lifetime say in comparison to a law abiding person.
  • Education ( for all the good it was trying to teach them anything)
  • free houses
  • Possibly Social workers involved with the families.
  • social welfare for all their lives
  • medical expenses all paid
  • legal expenses all paid
  • Extra guards employed to protect us from them ( I hope)
  • prison costs
  • plus all the cost in human terms of the pain and suffering they inflict on others
I fully support vulnerable families being assisted social welfare, housing, medical expenses, education etc. Children are innocent. But I dont support an underworld of criminality which has been allowed to thrive in these conditions. And I really cant think of any one solution which would solve it.

I would think that those who take cocaine in this country cannot have a clear conscience here. It boils down to Supply and demand at the end of the day. I would name and shame bigtime anyone caught for possession of drugs in the same way that the Revenue named tax evaders in long lists in the newspapers and impose penalties.

Ireland has given world leading example before like the smoking ban in the workplace ( who would have ever thought that would work?)
and the C.A.B which I believe has been used elsewhere.
Can we do it again???

Hopefully! But there must be initiative. The dark ages came to an end in Europe ........ so there's hope. There was a very informative article in today's Indo Weekend Review written by Shane Dunphy. It gives a different slant to the beginnings of all this - going back to the start of the 20th century.

Although I'm far too young to know definitively, I understand that the Irish government used internment quite successfully to counter the IRA campaigns of the late 50s, early 60s, as did De Valera's government against the IRA during WWII (but don't bite my head off if I'm mistaken in this).

Didnt exactly provide a long term solution.

Probably because there was a lot of support in rural Ireland for the IRA. There is no such support for these gurriers. Even the weekend spliffers would gladly return to the bottle (good and cheap in most supermarkets now) just to get rid of these recalcitrants.

Didnt exactly provide a long term solution.

sure it was a totally different situation (sit-ye-ation ;)) that erupted in the North, the 50's thing was definitely killed off.

Much like the Nazi's werent the 'gather 'em up' of WWI, they were a new movement.

Back