Innocent person shot dead in Limerick

Throw in some sterilisation too for good measure..

Nah, you'd never get that past the EU ;)

On a serious note there were strong threats earlier this year of taking neglected kids away from their families. Given the death threats that moving a few horses provoked I'd hate to see the reaction to the child catchers ......

but to suggest internment as a solution is very knee-jerk.... plus its never been proven to actually work anywhere!

Er, did you bother reading the discussion before you posted this?

Although I'm far too young to know definitively, I understand that the Irish government used internment quite successfully to counter the IRA campaigns of the late 50s, early 60s, as did De Valera's government against the IRA during WWII (but don't bite my head off if I'm mistaken in this).

I'd echo that statement about internment in the 50's having worked - because it was a marginalised group, no public support.

we would all like to see these criminals brought to justice and punished for their crimes....but to suggest internment as a solution is very knee-jerk....its like useing a sledge hammer to crack a nut. plus its never been proven to actually work anywhere!
better to try to come up with something that might actually work.

To suggest the current situation nationwide and primarily in our cities as a 'nut' suggests that you are not aware at just how far reaching the gangs influence is on people in their areas. There are probably 3 generations of criminals in place right now with numbers growing, so if the solutions being put forward are not to your liking what strong measures would you suggest?

It was Conan who suggested internment as a possible solution.

... but it was starlite68 who said ...

plus its never been proven to actually work anywhere!

while incidentally failing to answer this

if legal..they would only cost a fraction of the price.,plus the money would not be lining the pockets of gangsters!

Do you include crack cocaine in your list of drugs that you would legalise?

so if the solutions being put forward are not to your liking what strong measures would you suggest?
hopefull a measure that a bit of tought has been put into...not just another knee-jerk solution thats most likely going to fail!

There is a big difference. A large minority of the population of Northern Ireland in the 1970s (and later) had various degrees of sympathy with and support for the terrorists. This meant that internment increased public support for the terrorists, and motivated hordes of sympathetic youths to join them.

In contrast, there is very little public support for the gangsters and no real prospect of large numbers of disaffected youths joining their ranks as a protest against society.
This is probably the best way. But the gardai also have to do their fair share. I mean, it was within their powers to stem this in it's infancy before it became a Hydra.

This is probably the best way. But the gardai also have to do their fair share. I mean, it was within their powers to stem this in it's infancy before it became a Hydra.

How is it the Guards fault? How were they supposed to stem it in its infancy?

I thing judges have alot tio answer for. Maybe we should picket the courthouse.

Concurrent sentencing is a joke. They should run consecutively.
Parole is a joke. They're let out to commit more crimes and when they're caught they're given a sentence to run concurrently.

99% of the population rarely have dealings with the guards apart from checking for tax and insurance. Why should the balance be in favour of the 1%

How is it the Guards fault? How were they supposed to stem it in its infancy?
A lot of the older crims are in their 40's and 50's. This is when you had more gardai on the beat. Any cop should know his patch and in that respect should know the hoods within. The complacency among the vast majority of gardai is numbing. As they come out of Templemore they are idealistic but then they get dragged down by the inertia of the stations that they are posted to. After four or five years they just look at it as a decent pensionable job and see out their time in the cosiest possible way. Now, before anyone gets carried away, I did say 'the vast majority', so no semantics please.

A lot of the older crims are in their 40's and 50's. This is when you had more gardai on the beat. Any cop should know his patch and in that respect should know the hoods within. .

I don't get it. The guards are well aware of who the main players in these things are. Most if not all of the leading gang members in Limerick have been before the courts and in prision for various offences. The guards can only do so much given legislative and operating restraints.

As for guards on the beat getting to know the hoods. Do you really think these guys driving around in bullet proof jeeps with automatic weapons are really going to be dealt with by a community guard and his truncheon giving verbal warnings.

I don't get it. The guards are well aware of who the main players in these things are. Most if not all of the leading gang members in Limerick have been before the courts and in prision for various offences. The guards can only do so much given legislative and operating restraints.

As for guards on the beat getting to know the hoods. Do you really think these guys driving around in bullet proof jeeps with automatic weapons are really going to be dealt with by a community guard and his truncheon giving verbal warnings.

Well Dessie Dundon has gone back inside for 10 months on the back on driving offences, he turned himself in after being on the run for a long time.

Well Dessie Dundon has gone back inside for 10 months on the back on driving offences, he turned himself in after being on the run for a long time.

He was on the run for something like 3 weeks. He probably feels like it is safer inside at the moment!!

He was on the run for something like 3 weeks. He probably feels like it is safer inside at the moment!!

He picked his day for arrest too, when the guards were doing searches on homes for murder weapons and on the day of Shane Geoghans funeral.

"[As for guards on the beat getting to know the hoods. Do you really think these guys driving around in bullet proof jeeps with automatic weapons are really going to be dealt with by a community guard and his truncheon giving verbal warnings]".
Exactly! If the gardai were doing their job years ago these vicious thugs would not have been able to build up the confidence, arsenal or criminal know-how to attain their near untouchable status. All these guys started with little jobs before graduating to today's business-like commercial nous. The present outpouring of public anger has prodded the gardai into serial house raiding. All very high profile, good soundbites from the top brass etc. I remember the same results when Veronica Guerin was murdered. A few months later the top brass talking about crime figures down. Years later (after lots more murders) the then justice minister talking about 'the sting of a dying wasp' etc. The gardai should start earning their salaries ......... as should the law makers. Serious crime is preventable. If jurors get nobbled/ intimidated, then change the jury procedure. It's not rocket science. Special powers can be invoked. Most right thinking people would not take exception to these in the circumstance. Who owns these jeeps/high end cars that these fellows drive around in, giving the finger to law abiding citizens? How did they come about their wealth? Decent families in these neighbourhood are living in hell. Finally, the liberal trendies/civil liberty dreamboats should button it unless they have a real solution. Drastic circumstances call for drastic measures.

Internment didn't work in the NI in the 70s because there was a hostile state south of the border determined to undermine it by supporting subversive resistence in the nationalist community. I was there, I remember the internment swoops in Andersonstown, sure most had escaped to the safe haven of the Republic before the troops moved in.

Internment would definitely work in gangland Limerick in restoring law and order. That is not the issue - almost certainly the Gardai would abuse there increased powers. We would have law and order, no doubt about that, but we would also have miscarriages of justice - this is a balancing act.

Yes Duke, miscarriages of justice would occur. Surely murdering another human being is a miscariage, probably a greater one than our topic. But I would think that, by and large, justice would prevail. The world is not a level playing field. Socio economic miscarriages happen all the time. The police know the main players. They know that they don't engage in gainful legal employment. They must be able (with the help of a quick change of law) to confiscate valuables that cannot be proven to have been got in a legal manner (while the course of law takes it's course).

They must be able (with the help of a quick change of law) to confiscate valuables that cannot be proven to have been got in a legal manner (while the course of law takes it's course).
i taught the C.A.B had that power already?

The CAB do have those powers. But what we need is a summary type. By the time CAB get around to doing this (like the ongoing tribunals), these fellows will be a couple of cars down the line. Remember, that lifestyle is a terrific magnet for young people. The same goes for aspiring criminals. The gold bling, expensive clothes and tough-guy reputation is as much a draw as the mobile accoutrements. Style is power in the ghetto. It happens in all cities. Rudy Guiliani's 'three strikes and you're out' policy has done wonders for NY. A few of our roving politicians should have a look for themselves during one of their many all-expenses-paid jaunts in mid March. As for one minister saying that there are enough cops in Limerick to deal with the situation ......... shouldn't an interviewer ask, if so, why the problem remains! As far as I recall, back a few years ago, the same minister said that there was not a major threat posed by the crimnals. And this guy is a lawyer! How did he ever pass his finals.

Back