How is the new Covid travel penalties for those on welfare enforced?

It's actually scary how inept this administration has been on this and other issues. In this particular case, it's been clear since the story broke that they really had not thought it through and were just making it up as they went along. Overall, very poor start as Taoiseach for MM - is he out of his depth?

They have made a complete and utter mess of this. All of the people on the PUP payment lost their jobs over night, many most likely booked and paid for their holidays months ago before this ever occurred. To hound the innocent ones at the airport as they were leaving was nothing short of dispicable. Not one word of this change in policy was ever communicated to any person. MM & Co are off to a mighty start.

There is talk now of membe
Have you read the link you posted?
"The Minister for Justice, Equality and Defence, Mr. Alan Shatter, T.D., has signed Regulations transposing into Irish law an EU Directive requiring air carriers to provide advance passenger data to Irish Immigration authorities for the purposes of improving border control and combating illegal immigration.

The Regulations will apply to all inbound flights to Ireland from outside the EU and to all passengers on those flights."

It seems it is DSP staff who are doing the checking, not airline or airport staff. As I pointed out there is no way the airline of airport staff would be allowed to collect PPS numbers, or any other information not mandated by law, without breaching the GDPR. Given that plenty of airlines which are based outside the EU fly from Irish Airports there is no way that they would be allowed to collect sensitive personal data on EU citizens on behalf of an EU government. I'm not basing that on any conspiracy theory but rather the excellent personal data protection and privacy laws which are in place within the EU.

Gardai connected too the DSP are also now requesting information from passengers if the passenger is unwilling too provide it too the SW inspector.
They have made a big mess of this

I really don't understand why the Minister insists on linking travel advice and the residency requirements to qualify for any particular social welfare benefits. There should be no connection between the two.

Separately, I think we are now in the territory where the Government should be appointing a third party to investigate this whole saga.

I really don't understand why the Minister insists on linking travel advice and the residency requirements to qualify for any particular social welfare benefits. There should be no connection between the two.

Separately, I think we are now in the territory where the Government should be appointing a third party to investigate this whole saga.
They already have three parties, that's a big part of the problem. :D

Back