How is the new Covid travel penalties for those on welfare enforced?

any form of welfare outside that group who chooses to travel will continue to be paid
From Citizens Information -

If you are getting Jobseeker's Benefit, Jobseeker’s Benefit (Self-employed), or Jobseeker’s Allowance you can go on holiday on the island of Ireland for a maximum of 2 weeks and get the 2 weeks payment on your return. Since 7 July 2020, you will only be paid for a holiday abroad that is in accordance with the General COVID-19 Travel Advisory in operation. You will also not be paid for the 14 days that you are required to self-isolate when you return from abroad.

If you are getting Jobseeker's Benefit, Jobseeker’s Benefit (Self-employed), or Jobseeker’s Allowance you can go on holiday on the island of Ireland for a maximum of 2 weeks and get the 2 weeks payment on your return. Since 7 July 2020, you will only be paid for a holiday abroad that is in accordance with the General COVID-19 Travel Advisory in operation. You will also not be paid for the 14 days that you are required to self-isolate when you return from abroad.

How were people to know of this policy change?? I read papers regularly. I never read anything about this anywhere.

Why on earth publish a green list in the first place. Whose idea was this??

Wasn't there an EU summit? I expect we had to, based on the agreed protocol there of comparable case counts.
I think it was published rather reluctantly.

Exactly; anyone receiving any other form of welfare can travel without losing anything. That includes all State funded pensions, disability allowance, widow(er)s pension, loan parents allowance, carers allowance or any one of the myriad of other welfare payments we give to people.

The statutory instrument was signed on 10 July 2020.

Never to be changed either, plenty new statutory instruments brought in under cover of Covid.

I still feel it's very unfair to target PUP recipients to this rule without being Informed of this policy change. It's not that they are part of the 'pyjama brigade' who have never worked a day in their lives.

I think there's some slight derailment here, I'm not trying to dig up the ethics of being unemployed and travelling I'm just trying to see how it's enforced. Are the PPS numbers being grabbed from passports once a client is checked in/peeped through security or do you have to volunteer the info at the airport to random DSP agents. The DAA Tweeted that they are not personally giving out any information but there they can't speak for third parties who operate within the airport.

It all sounds kind of creepy

I just want to know how they are catching people at the airport

I think there's some slight derailment here, I'm not trying to dig up the ethics of being unemployed and travelling I'm just trying to see how it's enforced. Are the PPS numbers being grabbed from passports once a client is checked in/peeped through security or do you have to volunteer the info at the airport to random DSP agents. The DAA Tweeted that they are not personally giving out any information but there they can't speak for third parties who operate within the airport.

It all sounds kind of creepy

I just want to know how they are catching people at the airport

How they check is when you hand the security (SW inspector) your boarding pass too scan just befour you go into the scanning area/security check.
They scan your boarding pass and your info will come up on there computers which is in front of them.
They do this quiet often too check welfare tourist from certain country's flying in too collect there there payments

Why on earth publish a green list in the first place. Whose idea was this??

The Green List in no way changed the advice not to travel unless it is for essential purposes. The only change is that people returning from Green List countries do not have to restrict their movements.

I think the concept of the Green List is good, but they should have called it somthing else. We automatically think green is for "Go".

Exactly; anyone receiving any other form of welfare can travel without losing anything. That includes all State funded pensions, disability allowance, widow(er)s pension, loan parents allowance, carers allowance or any one of the myriad of other welfare payments we give to people.
Yes but there isn't a specific provision in the welfare code that allowed recipients to be outside the State for a two week holiday without becoming disqualified.

Hence the change was limited to jobseekers payments.

Hi Pinoy,

My point is not related to whether Martin's trip was essential or not.

It relates to his behaviour upon his return - which demonstrably is in breach of the guidelines issued by the Department of the.......wait for it....Taoiseach!!

There was a special exemptiom, it seems:

Taoiseach Micheál Martin and two officials accompanying him to the EU summit in [broken link removed] will not have to self-isolate on their return but will have to restrict their personal movements.
As essential workers who must undertake international travel as part of their work, the Taoiseach and his officials will not have to adhere to the 14-day self-isolation on their return, but a spokeswoman for the Government said the Taoiseach would restrict his personal movements.
Mr Martin will not be required to restrict his movements around work. He will be allowed to attend sittings of the Dáil in Leinster House and at the alternative parliamentary venue at the Convention Centre in Dublin along with meetings of Cabinet in Dublin Castle.
The Taoiseach and the two officials, John Callinan, second secretary general at the [broken link removed] and his diplomatic “Sherpa” at international summits, and assistant secretary Helen Blake, will be tested immediately for Covid-19 on their return and again seven days later.

How they check is when you hand the security (SW inspector) your boarding pass too scan just befour you go into the scanning area/security check.
They scan your boarding pass and your info will come up on there computers which is in front of them.
They do this quiet often too check welfare tourist from certain country's flying in too collect there there payments

How can you be sure? Where are you getting this from if you don't mind me asking? I'm pretty sure that's the DAA are the ones scaning your boarding pass before you go through security, and Dublin Airport did tweet that they won't give out any information.

Plus if there were trying to grab welfare tourists coming home they could only get them on the outbound that way

Where did you hear about this my good man?

Back