Housing and fake news

For comparison, new build 3 beds in Clongriffin area, an area of mixed reputation, are going for €350,000.
Is that affordable?

How much rent would the person be paying now and how much would a morgage on that cost. You've still not pointed out which of the ones I've listed are undesirable. Any of my three beds in Swords perhaps? Is there something undesirable about Swords?

It's not. I can tell you that from experience!

Can you give us the figures please.

I checked Ulster bank mortgages.

If you want to purchase a 300K house and you've 30K deposit there's a 4 year fix of 2.99% and it will cost 1136€. That's for a 30 year mortgage.

How much rent would the person be paying now and how much would a morgage on that cost. You've still not pointed out which of the ones I've listed are undesirable. Any of my three beds in Swords perhaps? Is there something undesirable about Swords?

No, you tell me why they are desirable and affordabke even though they are above the €250,000 figure which prompted this thread.

Furthermore, for a city the size of Dublin we are talking about a very small number of properties which may or may not be affordable, and which may or may not be ok to live in... Does that not suggest something to you???
If someone buys the house in Edenmore or Raheny, does that mean there isn't a single property in Dublin 5 left that's affordable - we're not talking Ballsbridge here!

If you want to purchase a 300K house and you've 30K deposit there's a 4 year fix of 2.99% and it will cost 1136€. That's for a 30 year mortgage.

I said that because I have extensive personal experience of the area. I do not believe the houses are worth that amount of money.

I said that because I have extensive personal experience of the area. I do not believe the houses are worth that amount of money.

Is this not a different issue then. You believe property is overpriced so you are ruling it out. That is nothing then to do with affordability. I'm not sure which area in particular you are referring to.

I think Ballsbridge is over priced and I wouldn't purchase there. If I were to live in Dublin I'd like Malahide. But if I couldn't afford it I'd buy a dump of a terraced house in the inner city and do it up. With on street parking and loads of space internally. And they exist as I know they do.

No, you tell me why they are desirable and affordabke even though they are above the €250,000 figure which prompted this thread.

Furthermore, for a city the size of Dublin we are talking about a very small number of properties which may or may not be affordable, and which may or may not be ok to live in... Does that not suggest something to you???
If someone buys the house in Edenmore or Raheny, does that mean there isn't a single property in Dublin 5 left that's affordable - we're not talking Ballsbridge here!

So you the Dublin based poster wants me to tell you which are desirable and affordable. But

a) I've put up a variety of fine areas
b) You've not demonstrated that each of those areas is a no go
c) Now you want me to do this
d) I've demonstrated they are affordable based on a mortgage of 270K on a property of 300K with a deposit of 30K. Especially when you compare the rents - it's a no brainer
e) In addition most are three beds and a couple can rent two rooms out at the beginning if they need help or want to have extra money
f) Raheny, is that one ok or not, I'm not sure your point.

So you would have to have an income of nearly €80,000 to get that mortgage (based on 270,000 divided by 3.5).
That's more than twice the average industrial wage.
Is that affordable? No.

Only the top 30% of households have a gross income of more than €70,000 per annum.
http://www.thejournal.ie/readme/high-earner-ireland-755580-Jan2013/

So you the Dublin based poster wants me to tell you which are desirable and affordable. But

a) I've put up a variety of fine areas
b) You've not demonstrated that each of those areas is a no go
c) Now you want me to do this
d) I've demonstrated they are affordable based on a mortgage of 270K on a property of 300K with a deposit of 30K. Especially when you compare the rents - it's a no brainer
e) In addition most are three beds and a couple can rent two rooms out at the beginning if they need help or want to have extra money
f) Raheny, is that one ok or not, I'm not sure your point.

A, B and C are rejected as you have not demonstrated they are fine areas. Declaring them as such does not make it so. Some of them may be ok but almost all are in excess of the 250k figure which started this thread. It's your list not mine so the onus is on you to show why they are in fact fine.
D) They are not affordable based on average industrial wage.
E) The thread was started about 3 bed houses.
F) I don't know it's is ok, you tell me. Have you been to that road?

A, B and C are rejected as you have not demonstrated they are fine areas. Declaring them as such does not make it so. Some of them may be ok but almost all are in excess of the 250k figure which started this thread.
D) They are not affordable based on average industrial wage.
E) The thread was started about 3 bed houses.
F) I don't know it's is ok, you tell me. Have you been to that road?

How are people affording rents so? And why does a family of two adults and one or two children need a three bedroom house exactly? Especially if it's two boys or two girls.

Anyway you want something under 250K, here's one

http://www.daft.ie/dublin/houses-fo...rtello-road-balbriggan-dublin-1534102/#img=19

It's a grand three bed, very spacious and turn key. If you want a garden convert the yard back into grass. Street looks nice and clean too. It's not beautiful on the outside is all that's displeasing. And 225K !!

If you want outside pretty how about this one:

http://www.daft.ie/dublin/houses-fo...nt-rochford-avenue-balbriggan-dublin-1619112/

Or this one in Clonsilla, no work needed:

http://www.daft.ie/dublin/houses-for-sale/clonsilla/33-huntstown-court-clonsilla-dublin-1462752/

Balbriggan is north county Dublin.
You can add another 10 grand a year to your expenses either in car or buying a train ticket if you are commuting from there you may as well be in Meath, Kildare or Louth so you may as well shift the goalposts again and find a lovely 2 bed in Laytown to prove that Dublin doesn't have an affordability issue.

Ok so Sandyford and Tallaght are not the best examples but the point still stands about people buying in areas where don't want to buy for whatever reason. .

No the point does not stand. The idea that people can dismiss all areas for any reasons doesn't stand up to scrutiny when tested. Dublin has public transport. There are thousands of people clogging up the roads every day heading to Dublin because they want to live in green leafy brand new houses elsewhere and won't accept living in a not so nice house in Dublin even though they are spending much of the week in their cars and their children don't see them hardly and everybody spends the weekends sleeping.

How are people affording rents so?

Well, a lot of people aren't. For most of those who are, they appear to be exceeding what would be permitted under Central Bank limits in terms of salary per housing costs.

The Central Bank limits is 3.5 times salary to cope with stress testing.
If you think that should be changed, please demonstrate why.

If there's another crash, rents will come crashing down with it.
If interest rates rise, so will mortgage repayments.

Balbriggan is north county Dublin.
You can add another 10 grand a year to your expenses either in car or buying a train ticket if you are commuting from there you may as well be in Meath, Kildare or Louth so you may as well shift the goalposts again and find a lovely 2 bed in Laytown to prove that Dublin doesn't have an affordability issue.

Well ditch the car and buy a dearer house. I hadn't realised an annual train ticket is 10K. That's pretty hefty. Isn't a play like Maynooth pretty close to Dublin, is that not more affordable and doable?

Well, a lot of people aren't. For most of those who are, they appear to be exceeding what would be permitted under Central Bank limits in terms of salary per housing costs.

The Central Bank limits is 3.5 times salary to cope with stress testing.
If you think that should be changed, please demonstrate why.

If there's another crash, rents will come crashing down with it.
If interest rates rise, so will mortgage repayments.

Well if you think that is going to happen don't buy. I really wish some of the posters on this thread, who are looking at properties would really tell us where they want to buy and what they are looking at and why. With figures.

Salary, deposit, current rent, size of family, location renting currently, location working, location would ideally like to buy in.

No the point does not stand. The idea that people can dismiss all areas for any reasons doesn't stand up to scrutiny when tested. Dublin has public transport. There are thousands of people clogging up the roads every day heading to Dublin because they want to live in green leafy brand new houses elsewhere and won't accept living in a not so nice house in Dublin even though they are spending much of the week in their cars and their children don't see them hardly and everybody spends the weekends sleeping.

There aren't even enough houses in the not so nice areas to house the people currently in the commuter belt... that's why people are having to buy in the commuter belt.
And they are putting up with inadequate train and bus networks which can barely cope with current demands, ditto for a clogged motorway network. The rail network couldn't cope with a surge in commuters.

And oops, that should have read 1000 a year for train ticket, I meant 10 - 20k over the lifetime of the mortgage.

Well if you think that is going to happen don't buy. I really wish some of the posters on this thread, who are looking at properties would really tell us where they want to buy and what they are looking at and why. With figures.

If you can't afford the mortgage under stress conditions, you can't afford the mortgage.
Not so much don't buy, as can't buy.

I think we need to come up with a figure for what is internationally considered affordable based on median salary in comparison to property price
The report that I linked to earlier in the thread suggests that housing affordability should be assessed in accordance with the following median multiples (median multiple: median house price divided by median household income) -

Affordable 3.0 & Under
Moderately Unaffordable 3.1 to 4.0
Seriously Unaffordable 4.1 to 5.0
Severely Unaffordable 5.1 & Over

Historically in Ireland median house prices ranged between 2.0 – 3.0 times median household incomes.

The report suggests that the median multiples of house prices in Dublin reached a seriously unaffordable 4.7 in 2016, up from 3.3 in 2011.

I suspect median Dublin house prices moved into the severely unaffordable range in 2017.

Historically in Ireland median house prices ranged between 2.0 – 3.0 times median household incomes.

Does that report make any allowance for mortgage interest rates.

The affordability of a loan of €100k at 2.9% is a very different matter from a loan at 5% or 6%. Or closer to 10% as they sometimes were "historically in Ireland"

How does it address double income couples.

A loan of 4.7 times a single income may be more affordable to a double income family than a loan of 3 times a single income to a single income family.

Does that report make any allowance for mortgage interest rates.
No, it's a simple price to income ratio.

Here's what the report has to say about interest rates:

"More elaborate indicators, which often mix housing affordability and mortgage affordability can mask the structural elements of house pricing and are often not well understood outside the financial sector. The mixed indicators provide only a "snapshot," because interest rates can vary over the term of a mortgage; however the price paid for the house does not."

Make of that what you will.
How does it address double income couples.
The median multiples in the report reflect median house prices divided by median household income.

I don't want to give the impression that I think the analysis in the report is perfect by any means. However, it is infinitely more robust than randomly picking 40 advertised houses for sale and then simply declaring that house prices in Dublin are affordable. That makes no sense.

The annual train ticket from Balbriggan is €1540, most employers facilitate the Taxsaver Scheme so the cost to user will be closer to €750 or €14.50 a week for higher taxpayers.

Back