Dublin Airport drop-off areas have become pick-up areas

Automatic barrier system is best per Cork airport. No need to employ more people....

Suggest camera operated system Leo. Lets confine inefficient practices to the past!
I assume a barrier would cause delays in somewhere with much heavier traffic. See it all the time at tolls.

They could just scan the number plates entering and leaving and fine anyone who takes too long.

Not really. Rules like stopping when the traffic light turns red, not parking on footpaths,
don't litter, clean up after your dog are regularly ignored.
Fair point. Perhaps if only genuinely necessary rules were enacted, it might engender a greater respect for them. Hostility to unnecessary and stupid rules leads to a certain level of contempt for all rules

It tends to be the totally OTT rules and regulations that get ignored. Rightly so.
Can you give examples of the OTT v non-OTT rules and regulations?

I generally see it as a certain type of person that ignores rules, not these people being selective on what to obey/disobey.

As stated by others, at Dublin Airport they could hold back from the drop off area until they get a call from arriving party. Instead, they turn up early and sit there on their phones, blocking space for vehicles dropping off passengers.

Last edited:
There are very few hold areas where people can

I generally see it as a certain type of person that ignores rules, not these people being selective on what to obey/disobey.

As stated by others, at Dublin Airport they could hold back from the drop off area until they get a call from arriving party. Instead, they turn up early and sit there on their phones, blocking space for vehicles dropping off passengers.

I suspect thats because there's very few nearby "hold" areas to do what you're suggesting. Also plane arrivals and passenger disembarking is unpredictable. So you can end up being very early. No excuse why people don't just park. At my local train station parking is 3.50 for the day. People park in the estates beside it instead.

Which is why they end up having to bring in rules and fines. Because people do these things.

Last edited:
There are very few hold areas where people can

I suspect thats because there's very few nearby "hold" areas to do what you're suggesting. Also plane arrivals and passenger disembarking is unpredictable. So you can end up being very early. No excuse why people don't just park. At my local train station parking is 3.50 for the day. People park in the estates beside it instead.

Which is why they end up having to bring in rules and fines. Because people do these things.
There was a time you would be asked to move on... As someone said, maybe DAA are allowing the lengthy waits in drop off area to prove a point for charging and restricting traffic etc.

For holding back, I agree there is not a lot of options. However, arriving too early is still easily avoidable.

For DAA, ticketed barrier or ANPR system would be an easily implemented solution. Free for 10min. Payment could be made at an area outside the drop off area, exiting the airport.

Perhaps the area could be divided into drop offs and pick ups. That way neither would be delayed.
It would require significant changes to the layout to facilitate separate entrances and exits where people waiting to pick up would no impact on those arriving. Perhaps a bigger problem though is that there are many people who would still use the drop-off area for pick-up if they thought it would save them any time.

There was a time you would be asked to move on... As someone said, maybe DAA are allowing the lengthy waits in drop off area to prove a point for charging and restricting traffic etc.

For holding back, I agree there is not a lot of options. However, arriving too early is still easily avoidable.

For DAA, ticketed barrier or ANPR system would be an easily implemented solution. Free for 10min. Payment could be made at an area outside the drop off area, exiting the airport.

I dunno how not arriving early is avoidable, it's not like arrival sticks to the schedule, or disembarking or luggage reclaim.

The issue anyway is illegal parking. That the airport used to police it, now don't is the issue.

Easy. Non-OTT rule: everyone drives on the same side of the road. Necessary, proportional and not unduly onerous

OTT rule. 24 hour bus lanes when there's no 24 hour bus service.

Some people are like that, for sure. Others want to resist state overreach and mission creep, leaving the maximum optimum space for the exercise of personal liberty. Principled good citizenship includes vigilance against excessive state power and support for individual civil liberties.

That's inconsiderate. No need to park up at departures at all. There's loads of little roads all around the airport where you can park up and wait for the call when your arriving passenger clears customs. The pick up can be as quick as the drop off. Everyone's happy.

....There's loads of little roads all around the airport where you can park up and wait for the call when your arriving passenger clears customs. The pick up can be as quick as the drop off. Everyone's happy.

They've made most of the ones I used to use no parking. I think you'd have to park up in the coachmans or similar.

I dunno how not arriving early is avoidable, it's not like arrival sticks to the schedule, or disembarking or luggage reclaim.

The issue anyway is illegal parking. That the airport used to police it, now don't is the issue.

It's beyond your abilities to imagine how you might not arrive early, or you just want to inconvenience other people instead of yourself?

It's incredibly simple. Wait somewhere near but outside the airport, for example you could use the carpark at Northwood retail park. Have your passengers message you when they're through baggage claim so that they'll reach the drop-off area before you do. They wait while you make the short trip to the area.

It's beyond your abilities to imagine how you might not arrive early, or you just want to inconvenience other people instead of yourself?

It's incredibly simple. Wait somewhere near but outside the airport, for example you could use the carpark at Northwood retail park. Have your passengers message you when they're through baggage claim so that they'll reach the drop-off area before you do. They wait while you make the short trip to the area.

If you don't understand why people might arrive early, there is no explaining it you.

In order to understand why things happen you have to put yourself in their shoes.The first thing to understand is people don't care about anyone else or the system, and they may not have local knowledge to know where other parking is off site from the airport. They might simply not care. They will ignore rules that aren't enforced. In which case they pick the easiest path. Which is ignoring the rules and sitting in departures.

I'm not entirely sure why you'd suggest Northwood retail park (I had to look that up) when there are closer locations. You could sit with the aircraft spotters on the old airport road for example. Coachmans is a heck of a lot nearer.

Ultimately if it was a problem they'd enforce it. Someone having to spend a few minutes looking to drop off, it's hardly a crisis.

Easy. Non-OTT rule: everyone drives on the same side of the road. Necessary, proportional and not unduly onerous

OTT rule. 24 hour bus lanes when there's no 24 hour bus service.

Some people are like that, for sure. Others want to resist state overreach and mission creep, leaving the maximum optimum space for the exercise of personal liberty. Principled good citizenship includes vigilance against excessive state power and support for individual civil liberties.

That's inconsiderate. No need to park up at departures at all. There's loads of little roads all around the airport where you can park up and wait for the call when your arriving passenger clears customs. The pick up can be as quick as the drop off. Everyone's happy.
I will give you 24 Hr bus lanes as OTT (currently anyway) , but you are unlikely to ever get done for it.

Surely you can do better for OTT v non-OTT examples . Everyone driving on the same side of the road is basic cop on. Humans would work that out if it was not legislated for. Sheep seem to manage to do this.

How would your rule barometer rate parking on double yellow lines, cycle lanes or pavements, slowing to stop on amber and not passing a red light, in terms of OTT and excessive state power etc, which I should say has nothing to do with the subject of the thread. Maybe bring that theory or gripe to another thread.

I am all for civil liberties, but minor rules relating to the use of the drop off at Dublin Airport are hardly impinging on anyones liberty.

Back