Dublin Airport drop-off areas have become pick-up areas

arbitron

At Dublin Airport Terminal 1 set-down area recently I experienced a long tailback of cars/taxis trying to drop off passengers. When we finally got to a space we could see that about half of the cars were just drivers waiting to collect arriving passengers. There were many double parked, including some right in front of No Parking cones. One driver was engrossed in a book and another appeared to be asleep! It was completely unsupervised and at times chaotic.

When DAA got planning permission recently for potential drop-off/pick-up fees, they were criticised and said they had no plans to implement them. I hope they reconsider this. I can understand dropping off passengers being free. You are there for a minute getting the bags out, then the travellers are off, so turnaround is quick. But pick-up is a different story. I saw one person having a rather emotional reunion with their dog which was heartwarming but really could have been done at home or in a car park!

Short-term parking is €3 for the first hour, then €4.50 per hour thereafter. That's what I use every time and it's so easy. How often are people going to/from airports that they can't pay €3? I just don't understand the mindset. Even if you are against all fees in principle, you are inconveniencing other airport users and making the experience worse for everyone.

Why are DAA not patrolling the area to move people on? I have seen airport police do it in other countries and the traffic moves smoothly as a result.

There are always the clowns who ruin everything for everyone else. It should only be a drop off or collection point . Not a wait around until it suits , the clowns.

There are always the clowns who ruin everything for everyone else. It should only be a drop off or collection point . Not a wait around until it suits , the clowns.
This. I pick up regularly and I'll use the drop off, but I park up a few mins from airport and wait till people ring me to tell me that they are outside, i head to airport and am in the drop off area no more than 30 sec and then away again

I fully agree it should be monitored and anyone just stopped should be moved on and their reg taken in case reoffend - taking up space there while you wait isn't on!!!

And if everyone did that there wouldn't be any problems, for anyone..

they don't like paying parking fees.
This is the nub of it. People won't pay for parking. I see it at the Beacon Hospital all the time. Instead of paying for an hour parking, they will park on the road at a very busy junction. Now there are bollards on the cycle lane, they will park inside the bollards, completely blocking off the cycle lane. To save €3.

In Dublin airport, there should be someone there to monitor parking and move these people on.

This. I pick up regularly and I'll use the drop off, but I park up a few mins from airport and wait till people ring me to tell me that they are outside, i head to airport and am in the drop off area no more than 30 sec and then away again
File this with "I only parked on the double yellow for a minute while I popped into the shops".

As @Brendan Burgess said, some people don't like being told what to do...

That would be the way to go and suit everyone......well most people , most of the time..

How about having to take a ticket to enter the drop off area? Get out within 15 minutes and it's free, stay longer and it's a tenner!

It's not comparing like with like, but that's what happens in Kerry International Airport! And it works!

Cork is free for 15 minutes, your numberplate is scanned and the exit barrier doesn't go up if you overstay so presumably you have to pay.

How about having to take a ticket to enter the drop off area? Get out within 15 minutes and it's free, stay longer and it's a tenner!

That is a brilliant idea.

But limit it to 5 minutes and charge €20 for more than that.

Brendan

That is a brilliant idea.

But limit it to 5 minutes and charge €20 for more than that.

Brendan
I think that the 15 mins is good enough because most people only want to pick up or drop off someone . Most people would be gone within the 15 mins anyway.. And 20 euro after that though..

Coyote proposed a short-term car park with a small fee for short visits.

Leo proposed a drop-off only area.

We already have a short-term car park, but I presume it's often full, so people don't park in it.

The drop-off area with a high tariff for more than 5 minutes would solve the drop-off problem. But if there is no short-term car parking, then people could not collect arrivals.

Brendan

I never had a problem using the drop off area previously. It was an easy process and the people moved off very quickly after the drop off was done .
As regards the pick up ...if , like someone said earlier, be close by , get the call that people are ready to be picked up then go , pick up and get out of there .
Simple process and no need for any charges in this respect.. and no traffic problems..

As regards the pick up ...if , like someone said earlier, be close by , get the call that people are ready to be picked up then go , pick up and get out of there .
Simple process and no need for any charges in this respect.. and no traffic problems..

If people adhered to it, but Irish people won't adhere to such rules. They will want others to do so, but will exempt themselves and sit there reading their book because the arrival is delayed.

Charge people after ten minutes, and people would start complying.

Brendan

Or have someone there moving people on ... It only takes one person, looking official , to get the message across.

Back