Delays in rolling out vaccine

Here is an interesting table from the ECDC...

Any idea why we are so low with the over 80's???

View attachment 5416
I'd say that we only started last week the general roll out the ones in care homes are done.

Edit: @Sunny your figures are first doses, (they don't make it easy to read)

Population of that cohort is 170,706

Total doses 36380(21.3%)

First doses 21082 (12.3%)
Second doses 15298 (9%)

Obviously from last week per ECDC updated today

Last edited:
Here is an interesting table from the ECDC...

Any idea why we are so low with the over 80's???

View attachment 5416
These figures look grim. Does this mean that in terms of total share of population vaccinated Ireland has now slipped to near the bottom of the EU ranking or am I missing something?

Last edited:
These figures look grim. Does this mean that in terms of total share of population vaccinated Ireland has now slipped to near the bottom of the EU ranking or am I missing something?
We have 3.8% fully vaccinated as at 28th February and per ECDC so we are mid table I'd say
Our vaccine population is about 3.7m as children and pregnant women about 1.2m aren't included.

Last edited:
Looks like the vaccine rollout has been a massive political failure by the EU and Ursula Von der Lyons in particular. Austria and Denmark in talks with Israel on supplying 2nd generation vaccines and cooperating in producing them, Hungary has independently authorised the Sputnik and SinoVac vaccines, Poland doing a deal with China for the SinoVac vaccine and Czeck republik and Slovakia looking to Russia for supplies of the Sputnik vaccine.

Last edited:
Generally not a fan of Russia's government but regarding Covid vaccines they have landed quite a PR coup.

Last edited:

If people are wondering why the EMA haven't approved Sputnik V yet it would appear that the Russians sent the information to the wrong agency.
That's been corrected now and the EMA are conducting a rolling review, if approved its thought that 50m doses will be available by June.

This just shows some of the difficulties in trying to convince people to get vaccinated.
Of course the Pope has already said that there is no moral issues in getting any vaccine.

So a couple of weeks ago the Government admitted there would be a shortfall in AZ vaccine doses but that wouldn't affect the roll out.
Last week's target was 100,000 (Missed by 18,000).
This week's target of 92,000 will be missed by a lot, apparently.
Next week's target has been set for 84,000
Instead of Ireland’s vaccination programme being steadily increased as promised it seems targets are being reduced to a level where even they’re not expected to be met.
Remember, just 10 days ago the Taoiseach confidently told us that Ireland would administer 1.25 million vaccines “by the end of March”.
https://merrionstreet.ie/en/news-ro..._resilience_recovery_2021_the_path_ahead.html

The reality is Ireland is hamstrung by the EU's ham-fisted vaccine procurement and only now is our shambolic Health Minister talking about sourcing extra vaccine doses outside of our loyalty to the EU - something that Germany managed with 30 milllion does sourced independently last year.
My GP is apoplectic about the lack of information and guidance he has received so far.
We are STILL struggling to vaccinate over-85s when across the water people in their early 50s are being jabbed in high numbers.
Enough of the excuses.
The country's vaccine roll-out is inexescusable.

So a couple of weeks ago the Government admitted there would be a shortfall in AZ vaccine doses but that wouldn't affect the roll out.
Last week's target was 100,000 (Missed by 18,000).
This week's target of 92,000 will be missed by a lot, apparently.
Next week's target has been set for 84,000
Instead of Ireland’s vaccination programme being steadily increased as promised it seems targets are being reduced to a level where even they’re not expected to be met.
Remember, just 10 days ago the Taoiseach confidently told us that Ireland would administer 1.25 million vaccines “by the end of March”.
https://merrionstreet.ie/en/news-ro..._resilience_recovery_2021_the_path_ahead.html

The reality is Ireland is hamstrung by the EU's ham-fisted vaccine procurement and only now is our shambolic Health Minister talking about sourcing extra vaccine doses outside of our loyalty to the EU - something that Germany managed with 30 milllion does sourced independently last year.
My GP is apoplectic about the lack of information and guidance he has received so far.
We are STILL struggling to vaccinate over-85s when across the water people in their early 50s are being jabbed in high numbers.
Enough of the excuses.
The country's vaccine roll-out is inexescusable.
Well you're frustration is shared, but it must also be recognised that it's very difficult to stick to forecasts when suppliers let you down and that supplier is Astrazeneca. It hasn't kept to the terms of the contract and before anyone says the EU was late in negotiations the EU signed the contract a day after the UK.

Astrazeneca informed the HSE very late 2 weeks ago saying the delivery will be less for last week, it was 0 and the assurances they gave that the shortfall would be made up was also a lie.

I think the entire population is frustrated, and rightly so but its not 100% the government's fault or the EU .

The EU tried to hold AZs hand in the fire a few weeks ago regarding the contract, a contract that is worded exactly as the UKs contract but here we are . Ireland is 100k doses down .

Personally I would prefer the government to shut up with future vaccinations numbers but politicians can't shut up.

We only got our first doses on the 26th of December and probably will have 500,000 doses administered by Sunday???.??. That's not what people want or expected but that's the situation and until supply grows its going to be very slow.

Well you're frustration is shared, but it must also be recognised that it's very difficult to stick to forecasts when suppliers let you down and that supplier is Astrazeneca. It hasn't kept to the terms of the contract and before anyone says the EU was late in negotiations the EU signed the contract a day after the UK.

Astrazeneca informed the HSE very late 2 weeks ago saying the delivery will be less for last week, it was 0 and the assurances they gave that the shortfall would be made up was also a lie.

I think the entire population is frustrated, and rightly so but its not 100% the government's fault or the EU .

The EU tried to hold AZs hand in the fire a few weeks ago regarding the contract, a contract that is worded exactly as the UKs contract but here we are . Ireland is 100k doses down .

Personally I would prefer the government to shut up with future vaccinations numbers but politicians can't shut up.

We only got our first doses on the 26th of December and probably will have 500,000 doses administered by Sunday???.??. That's not what people want or expected but that's the situation and until supply grows its going to be very slow.

Apart from wasting months trying to negotiate a better price on a vaccine that was being sold at cost price anyway by AZ the EU failed to plan for the inevitable delays that had been flagged up and which the UK had seen from the beginning.
If you really want to know how badly the EU performed in its vaccine procurement and how poorly it negotiated contracts with AZ may I suggest you read this blogpost from the archest of arch-EU fanatics Guy Verhofstadt.

Worse than that this current government is only NOW begining to look around the empty vaccine supermarket shelves of the world to see if they can find a few phials that have dropped through the cracks.
It has put its blind loyalty towards the EU before the welfare of its own citizens - there are at least half a dozen other EU states that have spent weeks pursuing their own independent course on vaccines because of Brussels' incompetence.

Last edited:
Apart from wasting months trying to negotiate a better price on a vaccine that was being sold at cost price anyway by AZ the EU failed to plan for the inevitable delays that had been flagged up and which the UK had seen from the beginning.
If you really want to know how badly the EU performed in its vaccine procurement and how poorly it negotiated contracts with AZ may I suggest you read this blogpost from the archest of arch-EU fanatics Guy Verhofstadt.

Worse than that this current government is only NOW begining to look around the empty vaccine supermarket shelves of the world to see if they can find a few phials that have dropped through the cracks.
It has put its blind loyalty towards the EU before the welfare of its own citizens - there are at least half a dozen other EU states that have spent weeks pursuing their own independent course on vaccines because of Brussels' incompetence.
Thanks for the link......as Verhofstadt says there are questions for both the EU and Astrazeneca.
However, it would have been clear to Astrazeneca that they would not be able to fulfil the EU contract with the terms it included, ie that deliveries would be made from its entire production capacity including the UK, but it decided to proceed anyway and take millions of Euro.

The EU would have negotiated in good faith and obviously didn't know the clauses in the UK contract. Perhaps they are guilty of naivety.

It's strange that the UK signed a day after the EU eventough they were negotiating months ahead of the EU.

Anyway it is what it is.

Thanks for the link......as Verhofstadt says there are questions for both the EU and Astrazeneca.
However, it would have been clear to Astrazeneca that they would not be able to fulfil the EU contract with the terms it included, ie that deliveries would be made from its entire production capacity including the UK, but it decided to proceed anyway and take millions of Euro.

The EU would have negotiated in good faith and obviously didn't know the clauses in the UK contract. Perhaps they are guilty of naivety.

It's strange that the UK signed a day after the EU eventough they were negotiating months ahead of the EU.

Anyway it is what it is.
At the same time we have major EU countries - Germany & France - which appear to have have significant quantities of AZ vaccines they've been sitting on for some time.

odyssey06 "At the same time we have major EU countries - Germany & France - which appear to have have significant quantities of AZ vaccines they've been sitting on for some time"
why have they not been giving these vaccines to their own population (surely their own citizens are up in arms over this?)
mentioned above in thread about numbers vaccinated weekly thats great . but i mentioned in another thread that i would like if they would tell us how many remain to be vaccinated at each level so we can tell how close we are getting to next level . those numbers mean very little if dealing with infinity

odyssey06 "At the same time we have major EU countries - Germany & France - which appear to have have significant quantities of AZ vaccines they've been sitting on for some time"
why have they not been giving these vaccines to their own population (surely their own citizens are up in arms over this?)
mentioned above in thread about numbers vaccinated weekly thats great . but i mentioned in another thread that i would like if they would tell us how many remain to be vaccinated at each level so we can tell how close we are getting to next level . those numbers mean very little if dealing with infinity
Well the President of France declared the vaccine "quasi-effective" and publicly destroyed its credibility in the eyes of many French citizens.
As of 25th February 80% of AZ vaccines delivered to EU countries were unused.
Yet the EU is trying to haul AZ over the coals in courts over their failure to honour the contract?
All the while most of the life saving vaccine delivered so far sits unused?

Had French pharma company Sanofi developed a viable vaccine, there is zero chance the President of France would have declared it quasi-effective even if it had exactly the same supporting data as the AZ vaccine.
EU has been a shambles on this virus from the outset.

Last edited:
Roughly 3.2m remain to be vaccinated excluding children and pregnant women of 1.2 . But I'll try and get meaningful figures together, frankly I don't think the HSE has population for each category as I thought they were on the ECDC website but I'm mistaken.

Sorry quoted wrong post ......reply for John

Well the President of France declared the vaccine "quasi-effective" and publicly destroyed its credibility in the eyes of many French citizens.
Yet the EU is trying to haul AZ over the coals in courts over their failure to honour the contract?

Had French pharma company Sanofi developed a viable vaccine, there is zero chance the President of France would have declared it quasi-effective even if it had exactly the same supporting data as the AZ vaccine.

unfurl="true"]https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/feb/25/acceptance-problem-as-most-oxford-covid-jabs-delivered-to-eu-not-yet-used
Absolutely.....

It's actually worse than that.
Macron described it as quasi-ineffective, thereby rubbishing the vaccine completely resulting in huge numbers of unused doses.
Looking at this morning's papers the Taoiseach is clearly softening up Ireland to expect far worse figures for March than predicted.
Unless he ups the vaccine game in the second quarter there's going to be a lot of disgruntled people watching the Brits heading off in their thousands to get some early summer sun in the Med.

I think everyone is totally frustrated by the rollout of vaccinations. The big announcements by government.......then these expectations are not met. This upsets everyone. Hearing about vaccines being delivered but not enough syringes. Hearing that Sneem in Kerry got a huge delivery but other places got nothing. Some doctors still waiting to be contacted.....

We want this sorted by the autumn. Please do not tell us that this will extend in to 2022.

Macron described it as quasi-ineffective, thereby rubbishing the vaccine completely resulting in huge numbers of unused doses.
and they say Trump was the master of fake news looks like Macron learned a few lessons from him, Vaccine nationalism is everywhere now, could not Michael Martin go to Macron and get those doses now ?

Back