Delays in rolling out vaccine

The US ordered early from multiple sources and rolled that out quickly.
The US had constantly a higher percentage of their population vaccinated than the EU/Ireland.

On the 20th of January the percentage of fully vaccinated people was seven times higher in the US than in the EU. You can look that up yourself on ourworld in data. There is no Biden effect.

If that is window dressing for you - I love that window dressing and would hope the EU and Ireland would do similar - as the difference can be seen.

The US ordered early from multiple sources and rolled that out quickly.
The US had constantly a higher percentage of their population vaccinated than the EU/Ireland.

On the 20th of January the percentage of fully vaccinated people was seven times higher in the US than in the EU. You can look that up yourself on ourworld in data. There is no Biden effect.

If that is window dressing for you - I love that window dressing and would hope the EU and Ireland would do similar - as the difference can be seen.
Ordering and getting are two different things as every vaccine needs approval by regulators in the case of the US and the EU for both mRna was December.
Production capabilities between Europe and US are different with Pfizers capability in the US 5 times that of Europe at 1million a day , additionally Pfizers strategy was/is geographical production.

Moderna doesn't have its own manufacturing capability and is in JV agreements which didn't start well but is now producing well.

I'll say this again warpspeed did not increase any production beyond what would have happened anyway and that's what you asserted.

As a footnote, Biden said he'd get 100m people jabbed in his first 100 days by fixing the Trump administrations roll out and dealing with producers directly and fixing the federal logistics, 50m of that 100m promise has been achieved in 37 days.

Israeli Teva is in talks with others to do some co-manufacture potentially. They were approached by and approached themselves some of the current companies which manufacture Covid-19 vaccines.
Israel is also doing its own research on antivirals and Covid-19 Vaccines.
Moderna is also used in Israel. They will have soon much more vaccines available than they need. Cyprus showed already earlier interest in getting some of the vaccines Israel won't need.
So no its not producing. The Israeli Heath Minister has stated categorically said the Cyprus story is false and even if Cyprus did ask Israel would say No.

Teva are a generic producer,how would they make a difference?, all they do is produce off patent drugs using the research done by other companies and sometimes illegally given the amount of law suits its faced in the past.

The takeaway statistics of fully vaccinated people:
Israel 37.8%, USA 6.5%, EU 2.3% and UK 1%.

Israel is to Covid vaccination what New Zealand is to Covid safety.

Every other country has a long way to go.

There was always going to be vaccine nationalism. Nobody is surprised that the US leads the other nations, though personally I’m surprised it’s as low as 6.5%.

The EU versus UK debate is splitting hairs at this stage.

@Merowig and @Paul O Mahoney are like two bald men fighting over a comb.

France has reversed its initial decision not to give 55 and older( up to 74)the Astrazeneca vaccine as studies have shown it is effective in that age group.

I think we already allowed it to be used upto 70 but looking at detailed data on the ECDC site we used less than 50% of AZ deliveries upto week 7 (21st February ) and nearly all were healthcare workers.

Overall up to that date we received 440k vaccines and administrated 378k , there are a few discrepancies in the data but that's timing the ECDC update once a week (Wednesday) and the HSE are now issuing daily figures on pdf but only from February 1st on its website and last Friday 426k vaccines were administered with 2/3rds first doses rest 2nd doses.

The ECDC data is detailed and even is broken down by age group as well as the cohorts more importantly the vaccine received figures.
All countries (29) data is available if the nerds amongst us are interested.

Unfortunately the promised 100,000 vaccines to be administered last week never happened. Big announcements are made with lots of publicity, but then they fall flat on their face.

Unfortunately the promised 100,000 vaccines to be administered last week never happened. Big announcements are made with lots of publicity, but then they fall flat on their face.
Due to supply issues with AZ, they were short 20,000 doses.
I wouldn't say 80,000 doses a week is falling flat on face though, a stumble for sure.

Does anyone know what the actual figures are? All we are getting is information that is a couple of days old. I haven't seen any detailed information about what % of each group has been vaccinated. Has anyone? We have figures that contradict with what the HSE provides to the ECDC. We have no information about weekly expected supplies and actual deliveries. I saw Fergal Bowers saying the information around vaccines is not exactly free flowing.

I don't want to hear next week we will vaccinate 100,000 people or next month we will vaccinate 10,000,000 people. I just want to up to date information about expected supplies, actual deliveries and information about number of vaccines dispensed and to what groups.....It seems like they are completely lacking a proper IT infrastructure to capture this information. These are key figures. Do the HSE themselves know what the daily figures look like or are they still working on previous days?

Supply issues a handy get-out-of-jail card for HSE uselessness - my sister is a healthcare worker and has been 'called' three times to get the vaccine, only to turn up and be told every time that she's 'not on the list'. She still hasn't gotten it despite having to make alternative childcare/work stand-in arrangements each and every time.
Not sure why any of us expected any different tbh, when the HSE never deliver in any way shape or form...

Does anyone know what the actual figures are? All we are getting is information that is a couple of days old. I haven't seen any detailed information about what % of each group has been vaccinated. Has anyone? We have figures that contradict with what the HSE provides to the ECDC. We have no information about weekly expected supplies and actual deliveries. I saw Fergal Bowers saying the information around vaccines is not exactly free flowing.

I don't want to hear next week we will vaccinate 100,000 people or next month we will vaccinate 10,000,000 people. I just want to up to date information about expected supplies, actual deliveries and information about number of vaccines dispensed and to what groups.....It seems like they are completely lacking a proper IT infrastructure to capture this information. These are key figures. Do the HSE themselves know what the daily figures look like or are they still working on previous days?
I've used the ECDC for vaccine deliveries but that's only going to be updated today for week 8 which is last week. That has a lot of data on it , and I haven't had a chance to go through it in detail.

The HSE are issuing daily cumulative figures on one of its website pages I'll try and post the link again, but thats only for February onwards.

I will say the following though, from what I've seen so far anything that was received has been used with very little stock held back, with the exception of AZ we only used about 50% of deliveries ( 44k to 21st February) as its not being administered to older people who are now the focus, its being given to under 70s mainly healthcare workers some in the 18-24 age group.

There are timing differences and these are to be expected as collating does take a few days.

Here are the daily reports the HSE issue, again they are cumulative.
The cohort populations that they are vaccinating now are on the ECDC website as are the age populations.

It should be noted that the total population that is on the ECDC website is 3.76m as children and pregnant women at 1.2 m aren't included.

Last edited:
I've used the ECDC for vaccine deliveries but that's only going to be updated today for week 8 which is last week. That has a lot of data on it , and I haven't had a chance to go through it in detail.

The HSE are issuing daily cumulative figures on one of its website pages I'll try and post the link again, but thats only for February onwards.

I will say the following though, from what I've seen so far anything that was received has been used with very little stock held back, with the exception of AZ we only used about 50% of deliveries ( 44k to 21st February) as its not being administered to older people who are now the focus, its being given to under 70s mainly healthcare workers some in the 18-24 age group.

There are timing differences and these are to be expected as collating does take a few days.

Just to be clear, not accusing them of not using the vaccines. Having said that, the argument for not using AZ on older people is getting weaker by the day.

These are key figures and they are not complicated figures. There shouldn't be a delay in collating the data. Certainly not a few days. Is Paul Reid sitting there at 5.30 this evening in his office going 'Right, I will find out what happened today in a couple of days time when we have got all the paperwork sorted'. No organisation would accept KPI's that are days out of date. It means the systems are not in place.

Even those figures on the dashboard are not much use. They are two days late, include no data on expected supplies versus actual deliveries so people can see for themselves the issues around the supply and there are no total numbers for each cohort. Telling me you have done 159k in cohort 1 is pretty useless if they don't tell us how much people they are counting in cohort 1.

Just to be clear, not accusing them of not using the vaccines. Having said that, the argument for not using AZ on older people is getting weaker by the day.

These are key figures and they are not complicated figures. There shouldn't be a delay in collating the data. Certainly not a few days. Is Paul Reid sitting there at 5.30 this evening in his office going 'Right, I will find out what happened today in a couple of days time when we have got all the paperwork sorted'. No organisation would accept KPI's that are days out of date. It means the systems are not in place.

Even those figures on the dashboard are not much use. They are two days late, include no data on expected supplies versus actual deliveries so people can see for themselves the issues around the supply and there are no total numbers for each cohort. Telling me you have done 159k in cohort 1 is pretty useless if they don't tell us how much people they are counting in cohort 1.
Dunno what he's doing but it is what it is the data is out there.....

Is Paul Reid sitting there at 5.30 this evening in his office going 'Right, I will find out what happened today in a couple of days time when we have got all the paperwork sorted'. No organisation would accept KPI's that are days out of date. It means the systems are not in place.
It is the HSE that we are talking about. If what you've outlines is what happens I'd be pleasantly surprised.

The above story includes the amount of vaccines received upto last week.
Looks like AZ are going to be behind again .

These figures are the same as the ECDC website which was updated today to week 8.

Here is an interesting table from the ECDC...

Any idea why we are so low with the over 80's???

1614875637417.png

Back