Deaths on the road

Status
Not open for further replies.
LIVERLIPS said:
But people will never say he was drink driving they said he had a blackout.

I can't comment on the particular case you mention but a young guy in my own locality was killed last year driving a motorbike while very drunk. His funeral was one of the largest ever seen in the area. I never heard one person attempt to deny or obscure the fact that he was driving while drunk.

Leo said:
Also, quotes like the one earlier where "90% of all road accidents are caused by driver error" are incorect. This may have been incorrectly interpreted by the reporter, but driver error is a factor in 90% of accidents, not the cause. Same thing when people say speed is the cause of x% of accidents, again untrue. There are always a number of contributory factors in any accident.

Please refer your views on the incorrectness of this statement to the National Safety Council, the origination of the statement. I'd be fairly inclined to take their stats fairly seriously. (Note: their advert last night - not a comment by a reporter - stated 90% rather than the 80% on their site - but their site doesn't look like it's been updated in a while).

Leo said:
And, while I'm at it, can anything be done about over tired drivers on our roads? Top Gear report a couple of years back demonstrated this was more dangerous than driving a number of times over the alcohol limit.

Being a British programme, on the BBC, I'm guessing that Top Gear were talking about driving on British motorways and roads? Relevance to Ireland? Do we have stats on the impact of tiredness/drivers falling asleep on the accident stats for Ireland?

The NSC, on the same page above, also quote UK stats, nothing about Ireland.

I'd imagine it's easier to prevent drunk rather than tired driving, i.e. how do you demonstrate how tired someone is as opposed to how drunk? Agreed, it is a risky activity, and when you hear of accidents between 2am and 6am, it's not hard to imagine that the driver was either drunk, or tired at best.

Just back from Spain, and drove there for the first time (I got my full driving licence in Ireland). Nor once I got confused about what side of the road I should be driving, broke the speed limit or did something I could regret. 108 people died in the road in Spain during the Easter holidays (from 3 pm Friday 7th to 0 am Monday 17th), 48% of the people that died were not wearing seat belts, 35 of the drivers that died where not wearing seat belts. Roads are a bit better in Spain than in Ireland, but it's common sense, paying attention to the road, that will save your live, not restrictions on the car.
I didn't meet any speed check on the way from Dublin to Cork on Monday, neither on the way up the week before that. I haven't actually meet any garda in the road since I am driving ( a year now), except for those checking my road taxes. Law should be enforce not to make money, but to "educate" people. Breaking the law has fatal consequences. Someone can die if you don't drive safely. Could you live with that for the rest of your life? I know I couldn't.

LIVERLIPS said:
.. He was at a wedding i was at in sutton and he only lived in howth yet he drove home.

You assume rational judgment after attending an Irish wedding - unlikely in my experience. Track it back 12 hours and the appropriate rational decision would, with the benefit of hindsight, have been to get a taxi to the hotel.

As it stands, and assuming everything posted is accurate, the individual was faced with getting a taxi home and back again the following day to collect the car, versus a short drive home on familar roads.

I am not offering a defence or accusation here. It is familar to me as I have, in the past, been in those situations and have made bad choices.

That record is worst than here for same period, population of Spain 40M Ireland around 4M. 13 I think died same period here ,so ration we are safer than at least the Spainish who are known to be terriable drivers even worst than us here in Ireland
108 people died in the road in Spain during the Easter holidays (from 3 pm Friday 7th to 0 am Monday 17th), 4 the rest of your life? I know I couldn't.[/quote]

Here Ronan da john, He was at a wedding i was at in sutton and he only lived in howth yet he drove home plus he was with my friends brother and they where all knocking back the drinks, my friends brother even took the keys of him put he found them and then went. I am not quessing he was drink driving my friends brother was with him.

Right guys i know the NCT.ie does not say Poles etc are not restricted but have you seen a car with a valid nct, Tax and Insurance on them. I say the answer is no. I certainly have not constantly seeing them in Ashbourne where i live. If they are using our roads and living and working here they should be paying the same taxes as us. My cousins boyfriend goes to france alot and the boat does be full of these cars on the way back tO rosslare. All they have to do is for port police to take note of these cars and put them in compound and if they want them back to come with tax for it. At least revenue would be up. So Ronan d John you think i am not allowed state facts i do read the paper everyday and the statisitics i was talking about was quoted from traffic police after the crash in donegal awhile ago.

LIVERLIPS said:
Here Ronan da john, He was at a wedding i was at in sutton and he only lived in howth yet he drove home plus he was with my friends brother and they where all knocking back the drinks, my friends brother even took the keys of him put he found them and then went. I am not quessing he was drink driving my friends brother was with him.

And did none of these people even think to tell him not to bother driving home because he was drunk? Did you not think to stop him from driving home? You're not doing your arguments any favours here bit highlighting your own irresponsible behaviour.

LIVERLIPS said:
Right guys i know the NCT.ie does not say Poles etc are not restricted

Then don't make such a bold unsubstantiated statement which you can't back up with evidence. Again, it doesn't help your arguments and negates the impact of anything that you say that might actually be valid and have a legitimate point.

LIVERLIPS said:
I certainly have not constantly seeing them in Ashbourne where i live.
LIVERLIPS said:
My cousins boyfriend goes to france alot and the boat does be full of these cars on the way back tO rosslare.
LIVERLIPS said:
All they have to do is for port police to take note of these cars and put them in compound and if they want them back to come with tax for it. At least revenue would be up.
LIVERLIPS said:
i do read the paper everyday

Are you Polish as well?

LIVERLIPS said:
So Ronan d John you think i am not allowed state facts i do read the paper everyday and the statisitics i was talking about was quoted from traffic police after the crash in donegal awhile ago..

All I asked was that you direct us to the statistics that you speak of. Which newspaper were they in? What date? Can you provide a link to the article online. You've already made unsubstantiated statements which you've had to withdraw because you made them up out of thin air. Why should we believe that this statement from you is true in this case?

51 people arrested for murder driving sorry drink driving on Good Friday 17 where non Irish , bad trend going on

ronan_d_john said:
Please refer your views on the incorrectness of this statement to the National Safety Council...

Wasn't directed at you rdj, took a look at the NCS site, they contradict thier own figures, so difficult to take them too seriously.

ronan_d_john said:
Being a British programme, on the BBC, I'm guessing that Top Gear were talking about driving on British motorways and roads? Relevance to Ireland? Do we have stats on the impact of tiredness/drivers falling asleep on the accident stats for Ireland?

Obviously yes, they were referring to UK roads. don't understand why it wouldn't be relevant here?

Just did a quick Google and found this on a Volvo device to monitor road position and which monitors how much a driver is blinking (Volvo and others have similar devices).

Due to recent ridiculous 'thinking out loud' from dodo (which I have deleted) I have had to lock this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back