Deaths on the road

Status
Not open for further replies.
again yummy mummies are not the ones involved in crashes think about this year alone as I said before over 100 deaths at less than 10% in Dublin tells it own story, the rules in place cant be enforced because the 2000 garda we where promised have gone missing, dont u think that if they could enforce that they would, with over 400,000 drivers on our roads with no full licence I think we are lucky not to have more deaths,, if all cars for under even 23s where fitted with resticters I really believe it would cut death by 20% at least, as Nike say just do it

Imho the speed restricters idea doesn't make sense. Most fatalities occur on bad country roads & involve speeds of a lot less than 100kph. Speed-restricted cars would be likely to cause mayhem on certain national roads where slow drivers are already a safety hazard.

Have not seen to many crashes on a road that has so much traffic and if u where been funny then that is up to u but people are dying main causes homan error and speed they say,
CCOVICH said:
Take a drive on the M50. See for yourself.

The UK has one police officer per 450 people (approx.) and one of the lowest road death rates in the world.
We have one per 340 people (approx.) and one of the highest in Europe.
It's not about police manpower.
Did anyone really think that we could have a huge increase in car sales and no increase in road deaths?
The people who kill themselves in single vehicle crashes at high speed at night are the problem. Unless they are dealt with things will not improve.
If the driver of the car survives one of these crashes and a passenger dies they driver should go to prison for murder (or an equivalent offence created by the Dail). I have no sympathy for those killed in such circumstances. The only thing I feel is relief if they didn't hit anyone else.

Purple said:
The people who kill themselves in single vehicle crashes at high speed at night are the problem.

No idea how true this is, but a friend in the media said a number of these are suspected suicides, but it's still taboo in Ireland to acknowledge this.

Hmmm!
IMHO,the main reason for the high carnage rate is our national character-ill -disciplined (& always trying to get the better of authority).
Why are cars designed to go at speeds in excess of the speed limit? why are they permitted.I have to say I get a great kick out of seeing SUVs stuck in gridlock!!
So after the w/e we're going to see the same death rate as per usual & it won't change.Look at drink driving,rates are increasing again & if they are caught,their cousin will have a buddy whose a buddy of the local sergeant etc.etc

Purple said:
If the driver of the car survives one of these crashes and a passenger dies they driver should go to prison for murder (or an equivalent offence created by the Dail). I have no sympathy for those killed in such circumstances.
I've heard a few cases recently of the rear-seat passenger dying and I guess that the passenger didn't have a seat belt on. They certainly share some responsiblity in that scenario.

Also a big factor is people who came to live here from a Country where they drive on the right hand side of the road, this is a major issue, I think it is around 20% if not more of last years deaths where people who where not born in this country, also I think if anyone is caught Drink Driving they should be banned and made to resit their test and there name read out at mass by the good Father

lot of talk about restricting vehicles to the speed limit.

one point, and this is something that the institute of advanced motorists will support i'm sure, sometimes speed is the best way of avoiding an accident.

particularly on motorbikes, which i've been on for years. if you're are driving down the road and someone just pulls straight out in front of you(frequent occurance), the natural reaction is to break, but advanced training will tell you that sometimes it is much much safer to pull out and accelerate around the problem. if you are restriced, it could mean driving straight into the idiot who just pulled out in front of me because they didn't have the basic courtesy to look first. i'd have a major issue with speed limiters for that basis alone.

Leo said:
No idea how true this is, but a friend in the media said a number of these are suspected suicides, but it's still taboo in Ireland to acknowledge this.

I suspect this was an attempt at an excuse, about 6months back was when I heard it first, for the media to ignore covering such accidents in any more detail than "a car went into a tree".

This, thankfully, didn't persist because of the sheer amount of carnage on the roads.

Purple said:
The UK has one police officer per 450 people (approx.) and one of the lowest road death rates in the world.
We have one per 340 people (approx.) and one of the highest in Europe.
If you count the UK's reserve it's more like one officer per 380 people but the point still holds.

My point sadly proven 4 polish died in car crash ,they where said to be driving on the wrong side of the road
dodo said:
Also a big factor is people who came to live here from a Country where they drive on the right hand side of the road, this is a major issue, I think it is around 20% if not more of last years deaths where people who where not born in this country, also I think if anyone is caught Drink Driving they should be banned and made to resit their test and there name read out at mass by the good Father

dodo said:
My point sadly proven 4 polish died in car crash ,they where said to be driving on the wrong side of the road

And the 9 other people who died on the roads at the weekend????

Who said? The Gud Fater? r a wit ness?

The accident involving the Polish men was a collision with an articulated lorry. Any collision between two vehicles suggests that someone was on the wrong side of the road, but there are any number of possible explanations for this:

• overtaking when unsafe to do so
  • swerving to avoid something (hole in the road, pedestrian, cyclist, animal etc)
  • drink, drugs etc.
To say that they are on the wrong side of the road just because they are foreigners is a bit of a leap.

So that accident doesn't 'prove' any point.

Saw an intersting letter in the indo on Saturday where someone was suggesting penalty points for county engineers. I would second that motion. Nothing like coming around a corner at a legal 60 and hitting a pothole filled with gravel.

shnaek said:
Nothing like coming around a corner at a legal 60 and hitting a pothole filled with gravel.

As is the mistake of many other drivers in this country, legal doesn't necessarily mean safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back