Deaths on the road

Status
Not open for further replies.

dodo

Would it be a good idea to put restricters on the cars of young male drivers who seem to be the main risk for accidents, the government could work with the Insurance companies to reduce their Insurance by say 25% if they had these restricters fitted ,
also why do we allow cars into the Country that can go double the speed limit, why not take that choice away from the driver

Might be simpler/better to restrict restrict L drivers and R drivers (when you pass the test you should have to display an R for a year) to a small engined car, maybe 1.2 litre and set a max. speed limit of 90KPH.

Fingalian said:
Why don't we enforce the laws we already have ?

Why don't people drive in a manner so as to not put themselves and other road users in danger of fatal accidents?

dodo said:
Would it be a good idea to put restricters on the cars of young male drivers who seem to be the main risk for accidents,
Where do you stop? With everyone having a regulator so that a drunken garda can't speed down the road and cause carnage?

ronan_d_john said:
Why don't people drive in a manner so as to not put themselves and other road users in danger of fatal accidents?

Because that's like saying, "why don't criminals stop breaking the law?"
Unfortunately, you cannot depend on people to do this, it has to be enforced.

michaelm said:
Might be simpler/better to restrict restrict L drivers and R drivers (when you pass the test you should have to display an R for a year) to a small engined car, maybe 1.2 litre and set a max. speed limit of 90KPH.
Something very like this has been the practice for donkeys' years, in other European countries, and doesn't specifically target young or male drivers, just inexperienced ones. Apart from/alongside that, a little enforcement of the current laws would go a long way, IMHO.

I agree with those who suggest we focus on enforcing the existing laws. My suggested priority would be the yummy-mummies of Dublin 4 who seem to feel that their children don't need to be restrained during the creche/school run.

could try restricting the size of motor for first year but the kids would only find some way to soup up the engine. maybe start of with an insurance discount and if they have a claim they lose the discount. would have to considerable ie first insurance would have to be very reasonable and in the event of a claim,( for which they were responsible) next insurance excessive,. also maybe some way to endorse first licence with details of accident so they are unable to hire motors abroad etc.
Enforce the rules. Agree with Rainyday and its not just D4 rainy. was stopped at traffic lights last week ( two lanes) and car going right pulled up alongside. father driving, mother and TWO small children not wearing seat belts in front seat. one standing and other on mothers lap.sometimes you just despair.

DOBBER22 said:
Young drivers takin the rap again it seems :rolleyes:
And why not? Look at the statistics.
Yesterday, in a line of cars waiting behind a car that wanted to turn right, a young man speeded past on the wrong side overtaking us all - obviously he decided we'd been there too long and couldn't figure out we were stopped for a reason. I've seen a fatal accident happen like this. Maybe learner drivers should all get time on a driving simulator so that they can learn this kind of thing?

I sometimes break into a cold sweat thinking about the way I used to drive 10 years ago. It took an accident and a conviction to slow me down. That seems to be true of a lot of young (male ) drivers.

The state of the roads doesn't help either. 2 rows of cars whizzing by each other at 100kmph in opposit directions with bad bends, blind right turns and potholes galore. Then you go to the UK and drive on their secondary roads. It is a beautiful experience.

Has anyone looked at the points imposed for some of the new penalties, 1 point only for driving on the wrong side of the road and only 2 for driving on a motorway against the flow of traffic. Head on crashes are the ones that cause most deaths so I would have hoped that breaking laws that result in head on crashes would have been more heavily punished but obviously not. 2 points for driving without reasonable consideration, what is reasonable consideration.

Theo said:
Because that's like saying, "why don't criminals stop breaking the law?"
Unfortunately, you cannot depend on people to do this, it has to be enforced.

I disagree.
Because the benefit vs cost, to my thinking, is substantially greater for a criminal robber robbing a bank for example, versus a criminal driver speeding up to get through an already red light and then t-bones a car legitimately driving off on a green light.

Criminal robber might get away with a few grand scot free, while the criminal driver breaking the red light is trying to save himself at most 2 minutes on his way to whatever the most important thing in the world it is that he had to do at the end of his journey.

Bringing it to an even more base level, criminal will get a few years in jail or whatever for committing the crime, while the criminal driver will possibly kill themselves, and others.

With over 100 deaths already on the roads this year and less than 10% of them in dublin, is this cause for concern that to many garda are using dublin to get cash fo people speeding ie from red cow down to mac Donalds in 50K an hour have you ever tried doing that there not that easy and the garda are there quite alot just collecting the cash, where they could be more used in places that accidents do happen

dodo said:
speeding ie from red cow down to mac Donalds in 50K an hour

If you are speeding and get caught you have to pay the price. If it is a 50kph zone, then you should only be doing max of 50 kph.

Conor Faughnan from the AA was on RTE this afternoon and said that we in Ireland are 80% (per capita) more likely to be killed on the roads than a UK citizen.

Frightening statistic!

sorry that is 60 k an hour use to be 30 mls an hour as i said try it, this should be 80K an hour as it is a good road with 2 lanes, getting points there will not saves lives these garda must where accidents actually happen

uote=Joe1234]If you are speeding and get caught you have to pay the price. If it is a 50kph zone, then you should only be doing max of 50 kph.[/quote]

I agree with those who suggest we focus on enforcing the existing laws. My suggested priority would be the yummy-mummies of Dublin 4 who seem to feel that their children don't need to be restrained during the creche/school run.
Yeah, that shuold be our priority alright, those pesky unrestrained kids cause so many accidents!!

As for the fact that we're 80% more likely to die on the roads than the Brits:
1. They have a transport network which includes motorways - we don't.
2. They are required to have a licence (a revolutionary concept I know).
3. Mandatory 1 year loss of aforementioned licence on testing positive for drink driving.
Aside from the Brits however, we actually are'nt that bad as regards per capita road deaths - somewhere around the european average if memory serves me correctly.
There is far too much hype about this at the moment, as the veritable Eddie said the other night on Q&A, what about looking at how much additional car usage there is nowadays. As someone rightly pointed out at the start, there are many ways in which this could be reduced (speed restrictors etc), but there is no political will for this to happen, we'll pose for the pictures and hope the furore (more media bull**** anyway) will go away. They're probably right too, this time last year we were all obsessed with how we were a nation of alcoholics.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back