Current public sentiment towards the housing market?

Status
Not open for further replies.
whathome said:
Reading this thread has been really interesting!
Mrs. Whathome and I have been active in the market since January. We currently own two properties (purchased in 1998 and 2001) and we were planning on selling both to trade up.

Given that we are selling and buying, we've had a good view of both sides of the market and we are definitely becoming more bearish every day. Our selling agent mentioned that despite the usual summer slowdown, prospective buyers appear to be far more cautious than usual.

As mentioned previously in this thread, increased inventory in certain areas is obvious - tons of investor type property (apartments and ex-rental houses) coming on even during the quiet summer season.

Our observations have been that some asking prices have quietly dropped over the recent past. This is not just a summer phenomenon as these houses were originally priced at levels consistent with similar properties in the same area. Furthermore, they're in what people would typically consider "secure" areas. Here are some examples of particular houses that I noticed:

- Blackrock : 4 Bed Detached reduced from €895,000 to €850,000
- Blackrock : 3 Bed Semi Dormer Bungalow reduced from €850,000 to €795,000
- Beaumont : 3 Bed Semi reduced from €590,000 to €550,000
- Raheny : 3 Bed Semi reduced from €760,000 to €719,000
- Raheny : 4 Bed Semi reduced from €850,000 to 820,000
- Rathmichael : 2 Bed reduced from €520,000 to €495,000
- Rathmichael : 2 Bed reduced from €460,000 to €435,000

I also noticed that some new €1M plus townhouses in Stillorgan that had previously sold out are back on the market - and this is not the release of a new phase.

There has been a real shift in momentum from the frenzy that was evident in March to a crawl as the two interest rate hikes kicked in. I know it's the summer season but I noticed a similar shift in sentiment when prices started to drop during 2001 when we bought, even prior to 9/11. September will be interesting - we know of several houses that have been pulled off the market to be "re-launched" in the autumn. Add next weeks expected interest rate hike, the overhang of unsold property from the previous season and the new supply will create some pressure.

I think the craziness that is the Irish property market is partly as a result of bank over-lending. When we originally spoke with our conservative bank manager in January, he was horrified that we were thinking of selling either of our properties in order to buy our next house. They were VERY keen for us to go interest only on both existing properties and use our equity along with a jumbo mortgage to fund our new home. I couldn’t go along with that as I like to sleep at night – well most nights!

What has really highlighted a change in sentiment to me is that when we told people in Jan/Feb that we were planning on selling to buy, they invariably replied that we were “Mad to sell anything”. The response has changed recently to a reluctant “Maybe you’re doing the right thing”. Only time will tell!

Nice post with some meaningfull stats thrown in! We did exactly the same. Myself and my wife put both our properties on the market in late January (bought 97 & 99) in order to trade up. Even back then I thought we had missed to boat (selling FTB properties).

Related question: Why have the Irish media been so silent about property over the last couple of weeks?

soma said:
Well lo & behold, they are the actual buyer (€50m) - a brutal investment IMHO.

May I be the first to congratulate the estate agents for selling at the top of the market and making a killing. The smart money always gets out in time.
Really does remind one of the heyday of the Dotcom boom and subsequent crash. 50mil for a Website. I know it has a brand name, presence etc. etc., but 50mil for a Website!!

soma said:
Well lo & behold, they are the actual buyer (€50m) - a brutal investment IMHO.

May I be the first to congratulate the estate agents for selling at the top of the market and making a killing. The smart money always gets out in time.

myhome.ie is only a bloody website that a first year IT student could knock up.

CelloPoint said:
Related question: Why have the Irish media been so silent about property over the last couple of weeks?

They haven't though. The Irish Independent and Sunday Independent have been extraordinarily bearish.

redo said:
myhome.ie is only a bloody website that a first year IT student could knock up.

Its the not just a website they bought, its a revenue generating business with a huge brand name.

Bedsit said:
Really does remind one of the heyday of the Dotcom boom and subsequent crash. 50mil for a Website. I know it has a brand name, presence etc. etc., but 50mil for a Website!!

Agreed, the only reason it has an projected "asking price" is due to is market presence. However, recenly, Daft has overtaken myhome is traffic stats recently.

There are considering selling because they know that websites that make money are copied and even improved upon. There is nothing stopping some young kid (remember the ryanair website?) developing a website, like myhome and making it available to everybody, like daft. Vendors sumit there properties for sale, EA tender for them.

SteelBlue05 said:
Its the not just a website they bought, its a revenue generating business with a huge brand name.
True I pointed this out in my last post. However if the housing bubble bursts then all they have for 50m is a fancy name and its not even a .com address. The rest is just a database and some old hardware :)

SteelBlue05 said:
Money spent on marketing can make you a household name in a matter of weeks. A female streaker running through the 18 green at the K club during the final day of the Ryder Cup with <insert brand here> painted on her bottom would suffice.

Bedsit said:
True I pointed this out in my last post. However if the housing bubble bursts then all they have for 50m is a fancy name and its not even a .com address. The rest is just a database and some old hardware :)

if there is a huge bubble burst that doesnt mean that people will stop selling and buying property. Myhome.ie obviously has a lot of contractual arrangements with various estate agents etc and this is a valuable thing.

redo said:
Money spent on marketing can make you a household name in a matter of weeks. A female streaker running through the 18 green at the K club during the final day of the Ryder Cup with <insert brand here> painted on her bottom would suffice.

Thats the classic "15 minutes of fame", its not a brand.

However if the housing bubble bursts then all they have for 50m is a fancy name and its not even a .com address. The rest is just a database and some old hardware

If the housing bubble bursts, one would have to presume that their site is going to have more revenue paying ads than ever;)

redo said:
Agreed, the only reason it has an projected "asking price" is due to is market presence. However, recenly, Daft has overtaken myhome is traffic stats recently.

There are considering selling because they know that websites that make money are copied and even improved upon. There is nothing stopping some young kid (remember the ryanair website?) developing a website, like myhome and making it available to everybody, like daft. Vendors sumit there properties for sale, EA tender for them.

I know one of the guys from Daft as he took course in networks in his final year, and I can tell you that he is very clued in. He was one of the panelists on Leviathan recently and frankly admitted as yet he had not purchased a home. That says volumes as far as I am concerned.

even when the bubble bursts houses will still be bought and sold but 50million seems a bit much, theres no guaruntee that estate agents who owned myhome will continue to direct business to myhome.ie. as someone else pointed out the site is easily copied and lacks anything to make it a sure bet going forward,at least when estate agents owned it they would guarantee a through flow of business. in a post bubble burst market sites will pop up offering all the services a house buyer/seller needs but cheaper .

bearishbull said:
theres no guaruntee that estate agents who owned myhome will continue to direct business to myhome.ie. .

I would assume that for 50m they would have agreed contractually to continue to direct their business to myhome.ie

redo said:

MyHome currently makes a PROFIT of between 1 and 1.5 million annually. A valuation of 35 - 50 times earnings seems a tad high but not out of this world, especially to a buyer with it's own interests in that specific market.

[broken link removed]

SteelBlue05 said:
if there is a huge bubble burst that doesnt mean that people will stop selling and buying property. Myhome.ie obviously has a lot of contractual arrangements with various estate agents etc and this is a valuable thing.
The main Estate (Sherry Fitz and DNG) agents OWN 75% of myhome.ie with 25% owned by private investors.

redo said:
The main Estate (Sherry Fitz and DNG) agents OWN 75% of myhome.ie with 25% owned by private investors.

I mean how many estate agents have contractually agreed to use myhome.ie rather than who "owns" it.

i think just after bubble bursts i'll set up quicksale.ie and offer discount pricing for listing and legal fee's etc!

The Irish Times already seems hugely reliant on property for its advertising revenue. If you took out property, and Friday's recruitment ads (13 pages today) what would be left? Buying myhome seems to have exposed them to financial calamity in the event of a slowdown in property market activity. And don't they have their own property site, nicemove.ie?

In light of the above, don't be expecting much bearish property analysis from that quarter for a while....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back