Current public sentiment towards the housing market?

Status
Not open for further replies.
'Twas a joke, but I did say more realistic.

Re being an EA..... eh I think I've established my credentials in the bear camp by now, no?

EDIT - and I see the smileys now.... :)

Sorry - I tried to multitask and forgot the smilies....

Re: what about this ?

Thats a measure of the past 12 months, with 90K houses built in the same period that probably about right. If 75K houses are built in the next 12 months I wonder what the figure will be like.

If we have already reached oversupply well then all those developments I pass to and from work are in big trouble.

I am sure everyone passes at lest 4-8 residential developments everyday communitng.

Between Luas / Dart / Metro and further extentions and additions, in about 15 years most places in the greater Dublin area will be within 15 minutes walk of a station. Surely the Metro announcement has devalued property on the Luas route.

That assumes a fixed amount of "value" or wealth in the system. The new lines are creating wealth for the areas they pass through. The new Luas lines add value or wealth to the area (wealth/value being good stuff that people want), so people will be willing to spend more of their own current and future earnings (than they otherwise would) to purchase homes on the commuter lines.

If we have already reached oversupply well then all those developments I pass to and from work are in big trouble.

I am sure everyone passes at lest 4-8 residential developments everyday communitng.

That assumes a fixed amount of "value" or wealth in the system. The new lines are creating wealth for the areas they pass through. The new Luas lines add value or wealth to the area (wealth/value being good stuff that people want), so people will be willing to spend more of their own current and future earnings (than they otherwise would) to purchase homes on the commuter lines.

Also assumes value of property is somehow related to proximity to decent transport links which it clearly isn't (if it was most property in Dublin would be worthless)

Keeping an eye on a house in the estate where i live in Bray, 3 bed reduced from 475 (2 mths ago) to 440k (last month) and now 420K, one down the road from it just gone up for sale for 405k!

Keeping an eye on a house in the estate where i live in Bray, 3 bed reduced from 475 (2 mths ago) to 440k (last month) and now 420K, one down the road from it just gone up for sale for 405k!

Any idea what they went for in spring?

One went for 405k in the spring two doors up from it, couldn't believe they were asking 475k!

4 months ago there were 3 properties available for sale on myhome.ie in Mount St Annes. Now there are 13. Investors getting out while they still can.

That said, a guy I know just bought [broken link removed] (or something similar) with his friend.

450,000 for a 560sq ft 2-bed. Madness - I've seen bigger 1-beds.

will be interesting to see what the bulls reasons for stalling prices are now that the government have clearly indicated that they will not be tampering with stamp duty in the budget this year going by newstalks coverage of the announcements today

slightly off topic , it seems the budget will be a very prudent one rather than the spending spree everyone was expecting which i think the government are right on

of course now the situation exists where theres no more excuses for the bulls for falling prices / asking prices and the government seem to be making the VERY wise move of not attempting to meddle with the irish property monster and it firmly looks like there's no more petrol to pour on this fire

one last aside , was REALLY hilarious to hear the economist say "they still might change stamp duty we never know" despite Brian Cowens comments to the complete contrary.....head, brick wall etc, etc

4 months ago there were 3 properties available for sale on myhome.ie in Mount St Annes. Now there are 13. Investors getting out while they still can.

That said, a guy I know just bought [broken link removed] (or something similar) with his friend.

450,000 for a 560sq ft 2-bed. Madness - I've seen bigger 1-beds.

You are too kind (or is there some EA in you ;) ) that place is only 430.5sqft

asking price and sale price are so different, so how can you compare then and now...

Last Spring we had asking price of 380K, got an offer of 430K which we happily accepted.
If a similar house in similar area goes on sale now asking 380, it seems that sellers are being advised to accept 380 (or even less).
On paper that wouldn't look like a drop in the market.

Heard George Lee interview with Brian Cowan and he in no uncertain terms stated that he was 'not going to interfere with the property market' .
Rather surprised me...so with that in the public domain, if the EA's are correct we should see houses starting to be snapped up since there is no reason for people to hold back!

Don't worry, M. Finnegan from SHF has said it will be a soft landing..... phew!!!;)

That was lucky :)
Still it's sure to have a big effect on public sentiment, I'm sure it will be a big shock to some people to hear about a slowdown.

Not a lot in this to be honest.IIB econmist telling us we were heading for a soft landing(yawn!).

That was lucky :)
Still it's sure to have a big effect on public sentiment, I'm sure it will be a big shock to some people to hear about a slowdown.

I want to see if Austin Hughes' toes are crossed, he is incredible. I really feel sorry for the saps who listen to his advice and then go and sign on the line which is dotted. He was hardly given a bumpy ride by Miriam, she was disappointing in this regard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back