Current public sentiment towards the housing market?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why are Daft.ie so slow to update their house price index, the index has been in decline since April and has not been updated since July. They have 2 full months of stats for August and September, I'm sure these 2 months of stats don't paint a pretty picture.

[broken link removed]

Daft publish quarterly reports. Q2 was published on the 2th August, so I would expect Q3 at the end of the month, should make interesting reading.

Does it strike anyone else as strange, that the many price reductions that we are seeing in the market are not advertised as such by agents. Its common practice in other markets to highlight a price reduction to entice buyers. :confused:

Most buyers are investors and they want to buy a property that is going up in value not down in value.

This is completely different to buying a service that holds no value such as a telephone service where obviously you want it as cheap as possible and the fact that it has recently got cheaper will not effect your decision.

Daft publish quarterly reports. Q2 was published on the 2th August, so I would expect Q3 at the end of the month, should make interesting reading.

I understand that but the Daft house price index should be updated monthly, and has not been updated since July.
[broken link removed]

Why are Daft.ie so slow to update their house price index, the index has been in decline since April and has not been updated since July. They have 2 full months of stats for August and September, I'm sure these 2 months of stats don't paint a pretty picture.

[broken link removed]

Your observation would seem to tie in with my question regarding the marketing tactics of agents re price reductions. I know it seems cynical of me to even think this but are we seeing manifestations of denial in action.

Most buyers are investors and they want to buy a property that is going up in value not down in value.

This is completely different to buying a service that holds no value such as a telephone service where obviously you want it as cheap as possible and the fact that it has recently got cheaper will not effect your decision.

Well Americans have a different approach to the merits of price in marketing property. Just an observation.
[broken link removed]

Has anybody noticed the advertisements for mortgages now carry something link, "Interest Rates Can Rise". You have feel sorry for the people like those in the post below.

http://tinyurl.co.uk/xazo

Hi JayDub,

Your point about rates quoted at daft.ie being out of date is well made. Im moving that single post to mortgages and house buying.

aj

Supply still creeping up. Lots of people looking to sell. Daft National for sales figures. Any guesses when we'll hit 25k?

[broken link removed]

Hi and welcome, the long link doesn't work, needs a cut and paste, heres in the link in tinyurl format

http://tinyurl.co.uk/iypj

Thats a good find. Irish prices are out of this world, 2,000,000 and it doesn't even have a jacuzzi lol

I wouldn't like to be the people who paid full price when they bought off plans at the start of the year.
I find the E30,000 that the estate agent dropped off the apartment I went to look at in Firhouse more interesting because that's nearly 8% off the price of a first time buyer apartment.
I have also been tracking prices in Verdemont Blanchardstown, Loreto Abbey Rathfarnham and Earlsfort Lane lucan since July and have seen drops of E10,000 - E15,000 in all areas, although some sellers are still asking for the July prices. Two in Lucan have been for sale since July at E381,000 even though there are lots of similar houses for E370,000 now.

In relation to the potential for Stamp Duty reduction there is no sense in thr government reducing or eliminating this . Apart at all from the loss of revenue the change would only help a very small minority of people whilst p*****g off everybody else who has already paid. So not an election winning strategy therefore, and believe me, no money will be spent in the next budget except where it gives electoral leverage.

This apartment dropped from 370 to [broken link removed] this week.

Number of apartments grew from 10 on the 11th to 17 today in Glasnevin (Finglas Rd?)!!!

Others following suit. Similar apt dropped by 10K to [broken link removed] since last Friday.

( findx )

Supply still creeping up. Lots of people looking to sell. Daft National for sales figures. Any guesses when we'll hit 25k?

[broken link removed]

Thanks for that whizz! You're doing a lot of hard work there collating the figures each day.

Could you start the y-axis at 10,000 or 12,000? Would make the ramp look more pronounced!!!

Agreed. Well done Whizzbang.

Looking at the graph it makes me think of all the property bulls that have used the supply/demand argument over recent years to justify higher prices.

Will they use the same argument now to justify lower prices?

Thanks for that whizz! You're doing a lot of hard work there collating the figures each day.

Could you start the y-axis at 10,000 or 12,000? Would make the ramp look more pronounced!!!

I'm afraid I only have figures from early July! If anyone else has them I'm gladly include them.

Its a very pronounced trend but given that the graph starts in July, which is not strictly part of the selling season, is the July thru Oct comparison fair. In fact we should expect it look like this.
I wonder for example how this compares with the same period in 2005.

Its a very pronounced trend but given that the graph starts in July, which is not strictly part of the selling season, is the July thru Oct comparison fair. In fact we should expect it look like this.
I wonder for example how this compares with the same period in 2005.

definitly agree, I don't know how much of this is a seasonal variation, should make interesting viewing over the next few years.

Excellent, you should offer a url that updates daily.

graphing is not automated I'm afraid.

ohh, I get you know, I'll do that the next time ;) make it looks like we are starting from zero ;) sneaky...

Well Americans have a different approach to the merits of price in marketing property. Just an observation.
[broken link removed]

But the American market is in an outright rush for the exit doors. Our vested interests are still in the "hide it from the masses" phase.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back