Current public sentiment towards the housing market?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The guy is trying to sell something. A little pinch of salt might be useful.

For the record, they have speed cameras all over France bringing in money - but their chief success has been in slowing people down and cutting their road death count by a third in five years. Not only that, the amount of money they are bringing in in fines - in a country with a population around 15 times greater than Ireland - is running at €200million a year according to figures from 2005.

Both in France and Australia, practice shows that if you start controlling speed and effectively punishing people for it with fines and points penalties, they slow down. There is no way we'll replace stamp duty losses with speeding fines.

We'll have to find it from somewhere because house prices are stalling so an ongoing increase in stamp duty funds is unlikely, and if the market either stops dead with a stand off, or prices fall, the result is the same. Tax take will be down.

In any case, I fail to see how - replacing income from stamp duty aside - this is even remotely relevant to the current view on house prices which still appears to be "they're too high, but they ain't ever going to fall ".

Bleurgh.

OpenWindow,
Please stop multiple [SIZE=-1]consecutive [/SIZE]posting. Ive merged your last threee consecutive posts.

aj

1 St Margaret's Park, Malahide, Co. Dublin

On the market 6 months - the price has just been dropped 100k. During the spring peak initially think they were looking for around (probably above) 1.3m hence real fall is bigger, sellers clearly getting nervy that they may be still selling come April 07. Its been listed on myhome at 1.2m all summer.

[broken link removed]

[broken link removed]=

20K price drop. Cant find the cache link for the old price but has been on the market for a couple of months i think.

Old Price: 395K

Now: 375K

[broken link removed]

Yet the comments on stamp duty showing an amazing lack of basic understanding of Irelands finances. Cut stamp duty and either income tax rates have to go up by a few % or corporate tax rates have to go up significantly...... towards 20%. Ref Davys report this week.

Do the government have to replace the revenue from any future stamp duty adjustments. How about taking some cost out of the system which is the first place that most companies look to try and balance the books. How about tackling the bloated, benchmarked civil service headcount !!

Do the government have to replace the revenue from any future stamp duty adjustments. How about taking some cost out of the system which is the first place that most companies look to try and balance the books. How about tackling the bloated, benchmarked civil service headcount !!

Is that not one of the probs that the country faces in the future

1. Large percentage is employed directly & indirectly in construction, once that wains the exchequer has less money in its coffers
2. Also a large percentage of people employed in the civil service at the moment, who can't be employed if the coffers aren't full without raising taxes

I don't have the figures to hand on the numbers employed in these sectors at the moment, but I know that number 2 is a scary figure also

Unfortunately once this bubble bursts the knock on effects are going to be pretty nasty.

Interesting to see what is going to happen in the budget, tampering with stamp duty may extend this party a little longer, but the more you drink the worse the hangover... Anyone with aspirin should clear up! :)

THe so called "Standoff" by FTBers will turn to pessimisim as interest rates increase and no stmap duty exemption announced.

There may be a reduction in VAT but it would have to be more tha 2-3% to make a real difference, it seems Germany is rasing it VAT to 20% I think (or very close to, perhaps 18.5% from 16.5%).

There is talk that Ireland will lower its VAT to 18% to make it meaningful.

Could EU Governmnets be quietly harmoninsing VAT across the EU without such an official policy.

Currently VAT is the largest form of TAX revenue for the Irish Government so I don't know if they can afford to lower it, they have become addicated to HIGH VAT & A Relatively LOW INCOME TAX (i don't agree) regime.

Prepare for more stealth taxes I say.

Everything this government does cost more than "initially budgeted" for,if they were running a household they would have been seen to MABS long ago.

Whether infastructure project or social welfare spending they can get nothing right.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2006/1016/migrants.html

Has anyone got the balls to say no to the little angels ?This will just start off another round of pay/weekly working week reduction demands from the rest of the public service.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2006/1016/nurses.html

Hi TW,

What has your last post got to do with the debate surrounding "Current public sentiment towards the housing market?" ?

aj

Why are Daft.ie so slow to update their house price index, the index has been in decline since April and has not been updated since July. They have 2 full months of stats for August and September, I'm sure these 2 months of stats don't paint a pretty picture.

[broken link removed]

Hi
This is my first post but I've been reading this thread for a long time. I returned to Ireland last year from Japan and was looking forward to my new job(double my Japanese salary) and new life in Ireland but things are not exactly the same as friends and family were telling me before I came back.

I went back to Japan for a month in September to look at houses there again and you'd be amazed what you can get for E250,000 close to good schools, shops and main train lines, all this with 20 year fixed rate mortgages at 3.19%.

However, since I returned from my holiday a few weeks ago things have been looking up. An estate agents rang asking if I'm still interested in an apartment I viewed in July, now E30,000 cheaper at E340,000.
I'm playing the waiting game now. Paying E1,000 a month in rent in Rathfarnham for apartment that would cost E550,000 to buy
and adding a little every month tomy savings.
If things don't change big time by end 2007/start 2008 I'll emigrate again.
By the way I found this price change that I thought was interesting

E2,200,000(***You have to copy and paste this link for it to work***)
http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?search_type=sale&id=99288&map_lat=53.2772758964001&map_lng=-6.4148302349078&map_zoom=14&adserver_ccid=ct1&au_id=265427&unique=10-2006.1-67.9ed9b8689a72ba08cb3492920244fe35&daftID=298eb768129dd968274aaabb75e640ae&fr=default&limit=10&offset=0

now E2,000,000
[broken link removed]

Interesting because it's a new build so the developer can afford to lower prices until he sells

Hi TW,

What has your last post got to do with the debate surrounding "Current public sentiment towards the housing market?" ?

aj

The last couple of post were in relation government spending,tax revenues, stamp duties etc.It's all relevant to the housing market IMHO as any reduction in House price revenues whether vat,stamp duty etc. is going to leave a massive hole in the public purse.This money will have to be found from somewhere,yet the government goes on spending like this revenue is guaranteed on a future basis.
Could just have easily been posted in the "Irish Economy - Are there clouds ahead thread" if you wish ?

By the way I found this price change that I thought was interesting

E2,200,000(***You have to copy and paste this link for it to work***)
http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?search_type=sale&id=99288&map_lat=53.2772758964001&map_lng=-6.4148302349078&map_zoom=14&adserver_ccid=ct1&au_id=265427&unique=10-2006.1-67.9ed9b8689a72ba08cb3492920244fe35&daftID=298eb768129dd968274aaabb75e640ae&fr=default&limit=10&offset=0

now E2,000,000
[broken link removed]

Interesting because it's a new build so the developer can afford to lower prices until he sells

Hi and welcome, the long link doesn't work, needs a cut and paste, heres in the link in tinyurl format

http://tinyurl.co.uk/iypj

Thats a good find. Irish prices are out of this world, 2,000,000 and it doesn't even have a jacuzzi lol

Does it strike anyone else as strange, that the many price reductions that we are seeing in the market are not advertised as such by agents. Its common practice in other markets to highlight a price reduction to entice buyers. :confused:

Why are Daft.ie so slow to update their house price index, the index has been in decline since April and has not been updated since July. They have 2 full months of stats for August and September, I'm sure these 2 months of stats don't paint a pretty picture.

Have you contacted them as asked the question?

Does it strike anyone else as strange, that the many price reductions that we are seeing in the market are not advertised as such by agents. Its common practice in other markets to highlight a price reduction to entice buyers. :confused:

Too early. First ones will appear late nov/early dec but will become more common in feb/mar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back