Cowengate

I don't really care about Cowen but at the end of the day, I haven't read that he was treated any differently to the thousands of other people who have been caught drink driving. He was charged, went to court and was sentenced. I haven't any accusations that he lied about the conviction. Someone leaked Gardaí records on the incident. He is entitled to fight to get those records corrected if he is convinced they are wrong. And he is right to ask why wasn't he charged with anything other than drink driving if attempting to evade a checkpoint was mentioned. Internal Gardai records should not be used to discredit people when they haven't had a chance to defend themselves in Court. This is at least the second time in recent history that Gardaí records have been 'leaked' or used against a sitting politician.
I agree that the leaking of records is a bigger issue. Cowan was detracting from the Government's ability to do it's job. That alone was a good enough reason to get rid of him. I think his career is far from over.

But sure the leaked account is "Pulse says he done a runner Guv", he says he didn't. How are we going to resolve the matter? Isn't there some enquiry ongoing?, surely the Garda can make a statement there (with his/her name withheld from the public).

That review isn't public.

I see DC has been demoted from the really important job of Government Chief Whip to Minister of Cows.
As an aside I note the marvellous news that Ireland has won its case not to collect €13bn worth of apple juice.

The obvious questions are

1) was it the law at the time (unaccompanied only on 1st provisional), 4 years ago?
2) if it wasn't why wasn't he charged with being unaccompanied?

It was only ever with your second provisional license you were allowed to drive unaccompanied. On a third and subsequent, you went back to needing a qualified accompanying driver. So even if it was before the change, there is a good chance he should have been accompanied.
Given the way that he has admitted to driving unaccompanied, it suggests very strongly that he did need an accompanying driver, so he should have been charged when caught.

Given the way that he has admitted to driving unaccompanied, it suggests very strongly that he did need an accompanying driver, so he should have been charged when caught.
I'm like Dr. Dre in the song Guilty Conscience, I'm worn down defending, Grady - shoot 'em 'both'. :p

is it certain the garda report was leaked ,what i mean is maybe it was one of his so called pals ,he may have mentioned it to them at the dail bar ? (someone maybe not happy about him getting ministerial position over their own man )

Back