Cost of bathroom refurbishment

Planning on having the un suite converted into a wet room, does anyone know how much it would cost

new bath, shower, toilet, tiling and extractor fan installed in a bathroom as well as insulating a wall, demolishing a small outhouse and removing it and demolishing and building 2 new gate pillars and a few other odds and sods, cost about €3.5k down the country. Glad I don't live in Dublin !!

Thank you, assume they did the whole renovation? Ripple are as busy, first free slot was end of August when I asked last week.

I used Harreds bathrooms in Swords, Ripples quoted €9k and got these guys for €7.5k, know we could have got it for a lot cheaper in other parts of the country but we did go with some nice stuff. The tiler was excellent!

new bath, shower, toilet, tiling and extractor fan installed in a bathroom as well as insulating a wall, demolishing a small outhouse and removing it and demolishing and building 2 new gate pillars and a few other odds and sods, cost about €3.5k down the country. Glad I don't live in Dublin !!

It is all relative though. I would assume there are more people in Dublin with salaries that allow them to pay these higher prices.

It is all relative though. I would assume there are more people in Dublin with salaries that allow them to pay these higher prices.

I work in Dublin, as do most of my friends. Frankly if you are prepared to put up with the commute and want to cut your living costs, "get out of Dodge". Dublin prices are a rip off, for everything

Hi Peanuts20
Great price. Where are you based and who did you use?

Electric showers are the worst in my opinion. Expensive to run, low pressure, noisy (ugly!). Have a large hot water cylinder heated via the central gas boiler, and a central pump for hot and cold water around the house.
But of course I grew up on the continent where there isn't water tanks in the attic and ridiculous mains pressure, so YMMV.
I live on the continent where nobody has heard of an electric shower. My hot water cones from the gas central heating unit and is immediate. No tank in the attic either. I hate Irish electric showers, noisy, weak and temprememental.

Last edited:
Hopefully that’ll all change after Brexit.
Ireland will follow the European model rather then the British model.
Electric showers, or lack of, are just another thing we need to get rid of. Along with driving on the LHS, clunky 3-pin plugs, the hour difference between Ireland and Brussels, etc.
We should embrace European more post-Brexit.

I've both showers and find the electric showers brilliant especially when grandkids are around and can use the downstairs shower room after coming in from being at God knows what. Power shower upstairs, along with another electric one. How would you expect to heat the power shower during the good weather, i'm not turning on the oil/gas? That's why the electric shower is handy, fast, efficient and plenty of power. Sure they give a problem or two but it's a few years since I had any and they get plenty of use. Plenty of women in my family ;)

Zoned heating circuits so you can heat the HW tank without heating the radiators. Or a combi boiler.
Yes Coldwater, should have phrased my question to Why would you instead of How would you? My point was that by having the electric shower you saved having to do all this and I was making the point that they're fierce handy and totally adequate for a lot of quick shower jobs. Thanks though for going to the trouble of answering.

Full bathroom change including vanity unit, deep bath and fully tiled floor and walls, 2 x 2m priced at all parts and Lab and removal of debris €3500.

If that's for one room, even to double that for a smaller ensuite also..
Shop around I'd say.

Hi there,

This is a great quote! Are you working for a company in Dublin by chance / have a contact to share?

Thanks much,
Laura

We used Ripples in the end and the quote came in at 10k and ended up closer to 11k after we chose some higher spec finishes. What we were looking for was a company to come in and do the job Monday to Friday and take care of everything, I know it could have been cheaper sourcing individually. In this area of the market I found that to be a pretty standard price point. The service from Ripples has been pretty excellent.

Reactions: Leo
Got a quote from Ripples also before Xmas. The stuff they do is good but is wildly expensive. They quoted 14k for a bathroom refurb another company quoted 7k for the same job albeit cheaper items. I always got the impression from Ripples that it was their way or the highway to a degree. I told them my budget was 8k and they came in at €14k so i felt message sent was not message received. That is just my experience with them.

This is the link: https://www.reuter.de/en/

Purchasing bath, shower trays, toilets, etc. in Ireland is very much a rip-off. I have recently (well, 2 years ago) redone a bathroom and a downstairs toilet and saved massive amount of money by ordering that stuff from a German company: https://en.reuter.de/
Even with transport taken into account, I've saved about 50% on the Irish quotes - half of the savings I did spend on upgrading to "better" stuff though.

tiles, etc., I got here but bought during sales. Shaved about 40% off the price, even if I had to store them for 6 months in the shed....

Back