Cost of bathroom refurbishment

Susie2017

Hi. I was hoping to refurbish my small main bathroom ( 2 X 2 m) and ensuite. I have gotten a quote from a supplier in Dublin for 7 k excluding tiles. This is before labour costs. I am replacing a bath, shower, two wall hung sink units, two mirrored vanity units and two toilets. Price includes new shower equipment, door and tray. Does this sound excessive ? Any tips on where to purchase. I am swamped with brochures and don't know what makes are really the best there are too many to choose from. Any tips welcome on where to cut costs as most showrooms seem to have similar prices for many items.

Full bathroom change including vanity unit, deep bath and fully tiled floor and walls, 2 x 2m priced at all parts and Lab and removal of debris €3500.

If that's for one room, even to double that for a smaller ensuite also..
Shop around I'd say.

Builder's providers one bit of advice was to stay away from Cooke & Lewis suites from B&Q. They maintained that the fittings are different to our units because they are for UK only. They said that they regularly have people looking for parts which are not available here.

Hi. I was hoping to refurbish my small main bathroom ( 2 X 2 m) and ensuite. I have gotten a quote from a supplier in Dublin for 7 k excluding tiles. This is before labour costs. I am replacing a bath, shower, two wall hung sink units, two mirrored vanity units and two toilets. Price includes new shower equipment, door and tray. Does this sound excessive ? Any tips on where to purchase. I am swamped with brochures and don't know what makes are really the best there are too many to choose from. Any tips welcome on where to cut costs as most showrooms seem to have similar prices for many items.

insanely expensive , dublin isnt that far from many counties , consider options from tradesmen in meath , kildare , louth

dublin is obviously in a labour bubble

Purchasing bath, shower trays, toilets, etc. in Ireland is very much a rip-off. I have recently (well, 2 years ago) redone a bathroom and a downstairs toilet and saved massive amount of money by ordering that stuff from a German company: https://en.reuter.de/
Even with transport taken into account, I've saved about 50% on the Irish quotes - half of the savings I did spend on upgrading to "better" stuff though.

tiles, etc., I got here but bought during sales. Shaved about 40% off the price, even if I had to store them for 6 months in the shed....

Thank you newirishman. Great website. Intend to use it. Great prices I wonder are those reductions just for January or all year round. I see there is no problem with delivery. Time to make a list! . Now if only there was something similar for kitchen doors and work tops !

Thank you newirishman. Great website. Intend to use it. Great prices I wonder are those reductions just for January or all year round. I see there is no problem with delivery. Time to make a list! . Now if only there was something similar for kitchen doors and work tops !

That site is always way cheaper than ireland (and most of the UK suppliers too). Always has deals too.

Ok so Im getting quotes for labour for this job. What do people think should be the rough labour cost for the following;

Main bathroom; approx 2m x 2 m floor area. Remove all old wall and floor tiles. Some replastering may be necessary after this not sure how much until old tiles come down. Install 1700 mm long bath. Overhead shower, taps and thermostatic mixer. Side glass panel to bath. Install new wall hung vanity and mirrored cabinet. Install new wall hung toilet. Tile floor 4 m2 and walls/side bath (20 m2).

Ensuite
Remove old floor tiles and tiles in shower no other tiles elsewhere. Install new shower tray 900 x 900 mm, thermostatic mixer, shower and doors. New sink and cabinet. New wall hung toilet. Tile floor 5 m2 and shower area/ toilet area 12 m2.

Ok so got a quote for this work. 7 k for labour only. What do people think of this price. If I were to add prices from Dublin bathroom supplier total cost will be huge. Obviously will try to purchase stuff online as much as I can (but even those prices have gone up I assume as we are now in February). What do people think of 7 k for labour for two bathrooms ?

I'm not following your figures - is the 7k for both main bathroom and ensuite for materials (first post) and then another 7k for labour?

How many quotes have you requested for this work? Ideally you will always get 3 or more quotes from recommended suppliers. Every renovation job has its own quirks and complications, getting a few quotes will give you a good indication of the market rate for the job.

Did they give you any indication of how long the work would take?

Yes it's 7k materials ( but hope to buy cheaper stuff online) plus 7 k labour (one quote only). For main bathroom and ensuite. First tradesman says job will take 6 days. Intend to get further quotes but should I expect to get it any less ? Never had bathroom work done before.

A brand new (i.e. nothing there before) ensuite cost me c. €2500 last year. That included building partition walls, plumbing, fully tiled etc., That said, I have middle of the road loo/shower/whb. Tiles from a big box store etc.,

Get some more quotes and take up references.

Ask for a break down of the materials costs.
Ask for a break down of the job (day 1, day 2 etc.,)
Ask how many people will be working on the job in those 6 days - I'd expect to hear, plumber, carpenter, electrician (if you're installing electric shower), tiler.

2500 including labour and fittings sounds very good. Back to the drawing board I think. Definitely need another labour quote. No electric shower. Just thermostatic controls from immersion. Thank you.

That's a big loss to the house unless you already have an electric shower (think you can only have one?). One of the best additions that we ever made to the house, well worth the money.

Electric showers are the worst in my opinion. Expensive to run, low pressure, noisy (ugly!). Have a large hot water cylinder heated via the central gas boiler, and a central pump for hot and cold water around the house.
But of course I grew up on the continent where there isn't water tanks in the attic and ridiculous mains pressure, so YMMV.

That's a big loss to the house unless you already have an electric shower (think you can only have one?). One of the best additions that we ever made to the house, well worth the money.

You can install two, but you must install a priority switch so that only one can be used at a time. Running two simultaneously would overload the incoming supply.

I wasnt planning on an electric shower. Water is pressurised from a pump in hotpress. Can heat water in immersion from gas boiler (zoned). Agree electric showers are noisy and dont look the best on the wall. Want a nice overhead rainshower and separate hand held shower with thermostatic mixer control dual lever i think its referred to. Not sure ill go with concealed box as more expensive but exposed can look fine and be inexpensive.

Electric showers are the worst in my opinion. Expensive to run, low pressure, noisy (ugly!).

A couple of teenagers in the house will soon have your tank emptied, and you'll wish for an instant electric shower:) Or, set your alarm clock a bit earlier.

If you think all electric showers are noisy,check out the Triton t90sr.Its a revelation!

Back