Cost of bathroom refurbishment

I'd go for at least one electric as a back up - you'll be glad of it when the oil runs out/ boiler breaks down / someone else empties the tank!

Personally i'd have electric showers before power showers. Great ones on the market and far better and more economical than others plus, they're fierce handy.

Ok I have had a think about this. The new model Triton 90SR looks good and is a bit less noisy than the older versions (on youtube). I remember we got one in our house back in the 80s. It was very noisy and I never felt quite comfortable with the idea of water and electricity in such proximity. However all things considered they are quite convenient and presumably a lot less expensive to run than the immersion. Any idea on cost of installation. I think the unit is about 250 to buy. I assume it will be reliable as I would hope to get at least 10 years use from it. There are no maintenance issues I presume. I am not in a hard water area.

Hi Thirsty

Just having read this thread - the cost of your ensure sounded great - were you happy with the work ?
Would be hoping to get something similar

Hi All,

Can anyone recommend a good reputable company for bathrooom refit? I'm Dublin based. Thank you.

€15,500 quote to fully refurbish a small bathroom and extend a granny flat bathroom to include a shower.....needless to say going to shop around

FWIW I've used tradesmen.ie very successfully while renovating our house over the last 18 months. Sure sometimes you don't get responses, but the vast majority of the time you do and every tradesman I've got from the site has been excellent. It's great at the moment where so many tradesmen are busy, because only people that can actually do the work and want it will reply, rather than you ringing around trying to talk people into it.

I have been ringing around a few places trying to get quotes for installation of an under stairs w/c and sink and a few have said they are not taking on any more work for 2019 as they are booked up.

I would be interested if anyone has any decent contacts in Dublin. cheers

Last edited:
I have been ringing around a few places trying to get quotes for installation of an under stairs w/c and sink and a few have said they are not taking on any more work for 2019 as they are booked up.

I would be interested if anyone has any decent contacts in Dublin. cheers

Hi Gang,

Just so you know - I've been quoted just under €33,000 for equipment and labour to do up 3 bathrooms (1 main and 2 en-suite). I've gotten an equipment quote for some €12,000 only and waiting on the cost of labour and I got a labour estimate of €18,000 only before getting the equipment in. What do people think of what I've been offered?

6-8 week lead in time.

Best,

Opus2018

Zenith - do you look for references from those trades? Do you vet them etc?
You’ll get to see reviews from previous people who have used the tradesman, which is handy. After that it’s a judgement call after you’ve met them and got their quote. For bigger jobs then yes no harm asking for a reference or two, but tbh I never have.

Hi Gang,

Just so you know - I've been quoted just under €33,000 for equipment and labour to do up 3 bathrooms (1 main and 2 en-suite). I've gotten an equipment quote for some €12,000 only and waiting on the cost of labour and I got a labour estimate of €18,000 only before getting the equipment in. What do people think of what I've been offered?
So hard to know without knowing what is required in your house, size of the bathrooms etc. FWIW I’ve just done a few bathrooms myself, parts wise I paid €2250 (€300 toilet, €150 sink, €350 shower tray, €600 shower doors, €350 tiles, €100 sink tap, €300 shower, then maybe €100 on plasterboard, concrete board etc). That was all for mid range stuff, you could spend half that or double easily. So your €12k for parts sounds high enough to me, but again maybe the bathrooms are huge or you’ve chosen high-end stuff. Note that there is a shocking amount of ‘fat’ added to the prices in catalogues, you should not be paying those prices. 25% of stuff you see in the likes of the Sonas catalogue would be normal...

Hi Zenith63,

Thanks for the reply and your points are well made

I'll just give you a detailed sample of one of the rooms I got a quote for - it's the en-suite I'd use the most so. To be fair, I might have gone up market in one or two items (the 8mm glass door is mid range, but the shower head is on sale and the basin while a bit expensive, is something I'm happy to throw in.

There are one or two items I may not go with say the heated floor. On looking at the items I'm generally in line with you I think - I genuinely thought I wasn't going for the high end stuff - more mid range with a couple of nice add ons.

Shower tray 219
Sliding door 626 (glass 8mm)
Shower head pack 320
Basin and base unit for storage 500 (yes, I could have been cheaper but it's the storage
Toilet and Cistern 400 (there's 3 or 4 items including the toilet seat!)
Tiles for wall and floor 700 (I'm covering the room - it's not big but a decent size for an en-suite
Storage and mirror 200
Heated towel rail 300
heated floor 150
Aluminium trim for shower 150
and a few hundred for grout, sealant leveling compound etc

Plus VAT 944.65

Total cost 5,052 Oh and I did get a discount of 10%-15% on most items...

The main bathoom is cheaper as they'll be using the sink, shelving and mirror and I only need a bath there. The other en-suite is small and has a shower, sink and toilet - (there will be two rads going in there). they costed out and 3800 and 3900 respectively. the floor and wall tiles will be the same in all three rooms. I'm waiting on the labour costs for this with trepidation.

Best,

Opus2018

Personally i think the labour should be in the region of 8 -9 k max. I did a main bath and ensuite for labour of 6 k. This was a cash price but there should be less labour if they are doing all three at once and tiles are the same. I bought all the items with the exception of radiators on a german website reuter.de recommended by someone on here. All top quality wall hung sink units and bathroom cabinets LED etc. Wall hung villeroy and boch toilets and bath etc. Taps and concealed (vs exposed) shower fittings with rainshower and thermostatic mixer. Its a lot of work to sit down and go through all the items. You need exact measurements for everything and list of exact items eg bath waste but the website will guide you and they e mail you to let you know if you are missing items from your order e.g bath support legs. I would use them again. Everything arrived in perfect condition when they said it would and i saved a fair bit compared to the cost in an irish showroom. Get a good installer as no point in spending on a nice bath if the tiling looks badly finished. I didnt tile all the walls as i dont like tiles everywhere. Half way up a non bath located wall is just fine with a nice finishing trim or decor and paint the rest looks better imo. Radiators i just purchased from an catalogue i got in one of the showrooms here, nothing too expensive. Make sure you buy the right valves depending on your set up. Dont forget tanking kit. And you will need to price in at least one skip if you are taking out old bathroom fittings and tiles.

Recently paid €7,000 for a complete bathroom renovation in Kerry. I think it was worth it, they did an excellent job. When they removed the shower, they saw a partition wall behind it was completely rotten and they fixed that up. It feels like a bathroom in a fancy hotel now.

I am considering Ripple Bathrooms in Dublin, has anybody any experience? Not started the process yet but they look likely to charge in the region of 9k for a smallish main bathroom. This is based on an example they put up on instagram of a full renovation. Obviously the cost will greatly vary depending on size and the fixtures and fitting but I estimate that it is probably 5k labour

We got a bathroom (Dublin area) renovated last year by http://stylishbathrooms.ie.

Corny name but I would recommend them without reservation.

Excellent workmanship and happy to offer an opinion on what would work best in our space. Always turned up at the agreed time and delivered as promised. They're busy though - it was roughly six weeks after pricing the job before they could start.

Roughly €5k for labour; €2.5 for fixtures and fittings (mid-range). Proper VAT invoices.

A word of warning - bathroom renovations create a lot of dust and plumbers' glue takes an age to cure (and stinks in the meantime!).

Hope that's of some help.

We got a bathroom (Dublin area) renovated last year by http://stylishbathrooms.ie.

Corny name but I would recommend them without reservation.

Excellent workmanship and happy to offer an opinion on what would work best in our space. Always turned up at the agreed time and delivered as promised. They're busy though - it was roughly six weeks after pricing the job before they could start.

Roughly €5k for labour; €2.5 for fixtures and fittings (mid-range). Proper VAT invoices.

A word of warning - bathroom renovations create a lot of dust and plumbers' glue takes an age to cure (and stinks in the meantime!).

Hope that's of some help.
Thank you, assume they did the whole renovation? Ripple are as busy, first free slot was end of August when I asked last week.

Back