Budget win for pensioners as Heather Humphreys seeks €15 a week pension increase, while pushing back on Jobseeker’s rise

It is reckoned that by 2028, the PRSI increases will provide an additional 1.6bn per annum to the Social Insurance Fund.
There might be further increases beyond 2028.
Will the proposed increase to the weekly pension cost more than 1.6bn per annum?

Will the proposed increase to the weekly pension cost more than 1.6bn per annum?
The increasing number of people receiving it, the increasing proportion of people receiving it and the increasing amount of time people are receiving it will dwarf that €1.6 billion.

Hello,

I think the starting point is with a form of means testing, for anyone looking for a pension increase.

As an interim measure, let's help the elderly who need help, but not those who don't.

To keep things simple, in the shorter term, the elderly could make an annual self declaration as to their income and personal assets (excl. their personal residence). Anyone up to certain, specified, limits, gets the additional payment, but the others don't.

That could be an interim solution for say the next 10-years, while better longer term arrangements are put in place.

Ultimately, the plan would be to freeze all state pensions, with people getting plenty of lead in time, to start making their own arrangements.

Means-testing penalises saving. Do you want to encourage saving or not?

It is reckoned that by 2028, the PRSI increases will provide an additional 1.6bn per annum to the Social Insurance Fund.
There might be further increases beyond 2028.
Pension contribution in Germany is currently 18.6%. This is shared 50/50 between employer and employee. It will go up to 22% in the next 3 years- and this is still not enough to keep the state pension stable. It will probably go to 25% by 2030.
Pension age will be raised to 68 by 2028- but will probably go higher to 70 by 2035- or earlier.
Contributory state pension schemes are under severe pressure all over the globe due to the boomers retiring and not enough contributors following to fill the gaps.
Since the beginning of the year we have the choice when to retire- somewhere between 66 and 70. I think this will be changed again. Pension age will slowly reach 70. PRSI contributions will go up to previously unthinkable levels. And all "credits"- with the exception of the carer or homemaker ones- will be abolished over time. They might open up the possibility for voluntary contributions right from year one of entering the labour force- but at very high payment levels. There is no other way to save the contributory pension scheme.
Only a government with a strong and stable majority will be able to do this- right at the beginning of its term. Otherwise it won't be able to undertake those needed changes.

Last edited:
Pension contribution in Germany is currently 18.6%. This is shared 50/50 between employer and employee. It will go up to 22% in the next 3 years- and this is still not enough to keep the state pension stable. It will probably go to 25% by 2030.
Pension age will be raised to 68 by 2028- but will probably go higher to 70 by 2035- or earlier.
Contributory state pension schemes are under severe pressure all over the globe due to the boomers retiring and not enough contributors following to fill the gaps.
Since the beginning of the year we have the choice when to retire- somewhere between 66 and 70. I think this will be changed again. Pension age will slowly reach 70. PRSI contributions will go up to previously unthinkable levels. And all "credits"- with the exception of the carer or homemaker ones- will be abolished over time. They might open up the possibility for voluntary contributions right from year one of entering the labour force- but at very high payment levels. There is no other way to save the contributory pension scheme.
Only a government with a strong and stable majority will be able to do this- right at the beginning of its term. Otherwise it won't be able to undertake those needed changes.

Is that Germany’s official plan? Bleak. But better to have a plan.

I think we are incapable of actually puttinG a plan in place. I can’t see any party taking that one.

We saw the push back when discussion was starting 5 years ago. Our democracy for what ever reason seem late to fail the ability to make any sort of long term decision never mind a negative one.

Is that Germany’s official plan? Bleak. But better to have a plan.

I think we are incapable of actually puttinG a plan in place. I can’t see any party taking that one.

We saw the push back when discussion was starting 5 years ago. Our democracy for what ever reason seem late to fail the ability to make any sort of long term decision never mind a negative one.

It is Germany's reality. They have no choice- and most people know and understand that.
Unfortunately there are populist parties waiting in the wings. The right- like AfD- wants to restrict the contributory pension to native Germans only. No pension for foreigners- even if they have paid into the pot.
The left wants to bring down the pension age- and raise the pension. All paid by money from the magic money tree.
Both left and right's plans won't work- but the electorate might have different ideas.

Back