Better offers for new customers than existing- Virgin Media

Only if they have already contacted you first though?
This offer is personal and exclusive to existing Virgin Media Broadband and /or TV customers only, who have been contacted by Virgin Media with the Half Price for 12 months offer via SMS.

I have virgin media. Was paying €35/mt x 12 mts. Due to go up to €70/mt. One month before contract end I called them to cancel it. They offered €45/mt. I declined and said cancel it. Had intended allowing it to cancel and then signing back up the next day as a new customer (I have done this before) for €35/mt. Interestingly, on this occasion, about 5 days before my contract was due to end (and 5 days before my 30 days notice period was up), they called me and offered €35/mt x 12 mts. I accepted this. So I could then cancel the cancellation and no down time whatsoever and have the new customer rate for a further 12 months.
The couple of days down time I would have had while waiting for new router does not bother me at all, I just use my phone as a hot spot if really pushed.

I think my mistake was that I explicitly told them not to call me again once I gave notice of termination. They still called me but I gave the guy short shrift. Maybe I shouldn't have?

They never contacted me with that offer, I saw it elsewhere, and it worked ok once I used the link in my final month of the contract. I didn't get an email to say it had worked but it did and my new bills are exactly 50% off
Fair enough - well done!