Better offers for new customers than existing- Virgin Media

So it looks like the only way to get a proper deal with Virgin is to cancel and sign up again right?
Yes.
How did people time it in the past? Cancel it with 30 days before your final bill and then 3 weeks later join with a different name?
I did it the day after the account/service was terminated and used the same name and details as before. I've done this for three years in a row now.

Last edited:
I got a one year introductory offer of virgin broadband for €35 discounted from €70 in August of last year.

In September the direct debit defaulted to €70. I rang them up and threatened to leave and they gave me another €35 a month deal for six months. I might have to repeat the same ritual in six months time. But 10 minutes on the phone for €210.

If they don’t give me the same deal in six months time my wife will sign up for the introductory deal. It is a bit of hassle dealing with the changeover of equipment and downtime but worth it for €420 a year.

Stand your ground and threaten to cancel unless they offer other providers introductory offers. If they don’t switch provider. They will want to keep your business and more than likely offer the same deal. If not leave and sign up with someone else.

I’ve been with Vodafone the last few years and for the last two years my sub was to go up but has gone down in both years by being polite but stern on what I want and what I can get elsewhere.

The like of these service providers rely on people just letting their contract roll over. Not just broadband but energy providers, insurance etc. I always either call for a better deal or switch provider. It’s a simple process.

Stand your ground and threaten to cancel unless they offer other providers introductory offers. If they don’t switch provider. They will want to keep your business and more than likely offer the same deal. If not leave and sign up with someone else.
Not in my experience with Virgin Media several times over. They simply wouldn't offer me the new customer deals unless I cancelled and signed up afresh.

That was possibly when they were the only show in town?

If you can now also get FTTH from Eir, Vodafone, Sky etc, they may be more cooperative?

You've probably signed up for another one year contract though so you wouldn't be able to cancel in 6 months time.
Indeed you’re right I got an email to that effect.

Next year I will try @ClubMan ’s approach.

A 5G SIM and router would keep us ticking over. Maybe even phone hotspots would be enough.

No - last time FTTH was available from other providers but VM still wouldn't budge.

Then switch!
Home broadband has never been more competitive.
Getting FTTH actually installed can be pricey, but the providers are generally not charging for this at the moment.
I reckon my install from Vodafone would have been up to €2k, but I wasn't charged anything!
This will not last, so I'd say get all your options ready now.

Because they may not always be and you could get a FTTH installation free now.

It would take years of cheap deals to make up the €2k I possibly saved!

I'll be looking to get a SIRO install when my present contract runs out.

The more alternatives, the better the bargaining power?!

I used a spare 4G router that I have with a 48 SIM. I can cope with a few days of down time or slower connectivity. Maybe some people can't
A 5G SIM and router would keep us ticking over. Maybe even phone hotspots would be enough.

Where does one get a 4G or 5G router please, and how much do they cost?

Also, what download speeds are you getting from either service and how reliable is it (I assume it's only as good as your mobile phone signal, and struggles with multiple users, online meetings over Teams or Zoom etc.)?

Because they may not always be and you could get a FTTH installation free now.

It would take years of cheap deals to make up the €2k I possibly saved!

I'll be looking to get a SIRO install when my present contract runs out.

The more alternatives, the better the bargaining power?!

Is FTTH available to everyone, or only those in regions where SIRO is currently available?

I've been through the annual negotiation with Virgin a few times now, with various results - albeit I've never got a deal equal to those offered to new customers.

Having seen some of the new offers currently being advertised by Vodafone, I cannot see why chance of getting even close to these, next time I've to call them.

Thank you, all.

I bought a cheap 4G one for about €30 from AliExpress years ago but sold that on since. I bought another second hand 4G one on Adverts.ie a couple of years ago for €25 which was a real bargain because it was a decommissioned industrial one with lots of features that a retail one wouldn't have.
Also, what download speeds are you getting from either service and how reliable is it (I assume it's only as good as your mobile phone signal, and struggles with multiple users, online meetings over Teams or Zoom etc.)?
Yes. It will depend on those and other factors. It was ok for basic use but not ideal for things like large downloads, streaming, gaming etc. 5G should be better though.

If you google SIRO and Openair and enter your eircode, you should be told availability.
For some reason I cant link to them?

Maybe even phone hotspots would be enough.

I bought a new 5G phone as I needed a new one anyway for < €300 and used a GoMo all you can eat. Use a speedcheck app to see what speeds you can get. I got about 30 to 50 Mbps as I am in an apartment. This was more than efficient for my streaming but I am not a gamer or have multiple devices going at the same time. I just tethered my phone from the window where the best signal was.

Back