Better offers for new customers than existing- Virgin Media

Cancelling and rejoined is a kludge it's a backdoor they could close anytime. It's ridiculous that every year you have to go through that farce.
That's true and a possibility but I suspect that competition in the phone/broadband/TV market means that they'd be cutting off their nose to spite their face if they did and that a customer on a new customer deal for 12 months is better than no customer at all?

Last edited:
Yes found those posts thanks. Can’t afford the downtime. Couple of people working from home etc. whenever we’ve had to hotspot the service is not great. My wife will sign up instead so that we can avoid the down time

I just got off the phone with Virgin. I have 1Gb broadband with phone. I am out of contract and I currently pay €83 a month. They are offering me a deal of €73 a month for 12 or 24 months.

I asked to sign up for the €50 a month 1Gb for 24 months. The salesperson advised that it was not possible to sign up to that deal as I am an existing customer which is what I thought she might say. I asked her that if I cancelled could I sign back up as a new customer and how long this would take before I could apply. She advised that I would not be able to sign back up until mid September which did not seem right to me as I thought I only had to give 30 days notice but she said I couldn't sign back up until all the equipment was sent back to them and processed and all the bills were issued which would be mid September at the earliest. I asked her if someone else in the household could sign up as a new customer and she said that they could not and that the address would flag up on the system and would not allow any new customers until mid September.

Has anyone else had this as it was my understanding that in 30 days you were no longer a customer and could then sign up as a new customer and forfeit internet in the home for a few days. I also was under the impression that another member of the household could sign up as a new customer while I was in the process of cancelling if we did not want any downtime on our internet.

My plan was to get my wife or eldest son to sign up as a new customer about a week before my 30 days notice was due to expire so we maintained our internet but it seems this is not possible now.

I have read the posts above etc which are only a month ago so have things changed in the last month that restrict this or was the salesperson not 100% accurate in what she was telling me.

Any help with this would be appreciated.

Just a heads up re returning all equipment… we looked at this for a family member. They didn’t want to be without tv for a week let alone a month so we just signed them up for a new package and crucially a new TV box. They delivered the new box overnight but 2 weeks later still not collected the old one. So if you were relying on them to sort out the returns and processing you could be a while.

Just do what I did - cancel with virgin. About 7 days after I cancelled they came back with an offer of €30 per month for 12 months for 250MB down which I accepted. No interruption of service and no messing around sending routers back.

The salesperson is not correct

I literally just did this. Cancelled. Got my wife to sign up online in her name 7 days later. New equipment delivered the next day.

Still currently using old equipment until acc closure date on 28th. They sent me a link to send old equipment back via dpd

That's great thanks. I did feel she was reaching a little with me to see if I would bite. I didn't want to initiate the cancellation to be left high and dry internet wise but now I think I will do exactly what you did and get my wife to sign up as a new customer and overlap the cancelled account and the new account over the course of the 30 days.

I cancelled mine 28 days ago and I was told not to bother sending the box back. I'm currently looking at options but I expect to maybe sign back again with VM after a few weeks. I'll keep you informed if I do. I don't have a wife or other bank account name to sign up as a different user.

i have a 1 gig fibre service from Vodafone, every year, i have to the annual negotiation dance, it has been @€40 per month for about 7 years, this year, after the contract ended earlier this month, the price jumped to €70 for 1 gig fibre. i asked them to downgrade me to the 500 Mbs speed which is €40, and they retained me at 1 gig, added super wifi, added - always connected, and added- secure net for €40 intotal per month. I’l cancel all these add ons, before next contract renewal.

@rustbucket

Got Regulatory Notification recently so rang VM today. Went through the usual rigmaroll about new customers -v- loyal customers. The girl confirmed that we should be able to do a Transfer of Responsibility request (putting another person's name on account) and avail of the new customer rate without loss of service. Very much doubt what she is saying and will probably ring again in a few days to confirm.

Taking the 30 days cancellation notification into account they actually only give customers a few days to get their act together

For just broadband 500 Mb, new customers = €35, website says €70 for existing customers but haggle rate = €55 for 12 months.

One thought that does annoy is that they will only speak to the account holder unless effort is made to arrange for a spokesperson to represent.

Ok so I rang up Virgin today to cancel my subscription. I was redirected from the first salesperson to a second salesperson who apparently has the ability to give better deals.

I explained it all again to her and that I would reluctantly like to cancel my subscription as I was not happy with the offer I was been given. I explained that I would have signed up for the €50 over 24 months but the best offer I was getting was €68 for 12 months.

After declining the €68 for 12 months and insisting that I would cancel and find other options she gave me a deal for 12 months (9 months reduced and 3 months at full) which averaged out at €50 a month for 12 months.

I took that and said good luck to her. That’s another 12 months sorted until the battle begins again.

Just renewed with Vodafone 30eur for 6 months 40eur for 6 months.
Was with Virgin a few years ago but left over poor connectivity (constantly dropping Broadband) and price.
Didn't have to push Vodafone to hard for this price either.

Just renewed with Vodafone 30eur for 6 months 40eur for 6 months.
Was with Virgin a few years ago but left over poor connectivity (constantly dropping Broadband) and price.
Didn't have to push Vodafone to hard for this price either.
Good price, whichever one it is and hopefully the connectivity problems have been sorted.....

She probably saw the tears in your eyes and felt sorry for you.....

You would have done better by cancelling and waiting a week for them to come back to you with their last and final offer but well done.

You would have done better by cancelling and waiting a week for them to come back to you with their last and final offer but well done.
I refused their offer and still waiting for their final offer. I'm now in between cut off and final bill so I doubt their final offer is coming. My 5g phone with GoMo is working grand but I was using 130 to 140Gb with VM so will probably need a one off top up of another plan every second month to keep me going as they say their fair usage is 120Gb. My phone is dual sim but I can see myself going for another option after a while.

FYI...