Anyone risking booking a foreign holiday

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to think that you have a higher chance of picking up the virus abroad than here but I doubt that that is the case. Don,t forget that nobody knows whether they have it or not until they are tested.

I feel that after going to the sun regularly for holidays for many years and always enjoying the sun,the different cultures,the value for money.the different food .different drink,different adventures etc,that to go for a holiday at home would be worse than having no holiday at all and that the powers that be should not be trying to control where people should take their holidays.One should be free to enjoy their favourite holiday and not be enticed into compromising on their holidays because they have worked hard all year and deserve the best holiday they can have.[Just my humble opinion]

I feel that after going to the sun regularly for holidays for many years and always enjoying the sun,the different cultures,the value for money.the different food .different drink,different adventures etc,that to go for a holiday at home would be worse than having no holiday at all and that the powers that be should not be trying to control where people should take their holidays.One should be free to enjoy their favourite holiday and not be enticed into compromising on their holidays because they have worked hard all year and deserve the best holiday they can have.[Just my humble opinion]
The powers that be are trying to protect their health workers and vulnerable citizens from a global pandemic. My humble opinion is that people should make a small sacrifice and suck it up until the pandemic is under control.

Remember those ski-ing trips to northern Italy?
Sure those people deserved their holidays, but not at the risk of societal lockdown.
We can't have a free for all when it comes to foreign travel.
And your favourite destination will have changed too, it won't be the same adventure - you will have to navigate social distancing and restrictions.
If you love the sun, yeah Ireland can be a challenging holiday destination & expensive, but otherwise there is lots to do here and see.

One should be free to enjoy their favourite holiday and not be enticed into compromising on their holidays because they have worked hard all year and deserve the best holiday they can have.[Just my humble opinion]

In so far as taking personal risk is concerned, I agree. If someone wants to do a highly adventurous sport or risk personal injury by jumping off mountains, that is their concern. However, this is about public health, not personal risk. I think it is much more important to keep the infection rate in the country as low as possible so that schools can fully re-open, health services operate as normally as possible, and people go about their essential everyday business.

Anyone tempted by retirement to Greece? -

Greece is making a play for pensioners by offering a flat rate of income tax at 7 per cent for retired foreigners who transfer their tax residence...........
“We hope that pensioners benefiting from this attractive rate will spend most of their time in Greece,” Ms Kalyva told the Observer. Ultimately, the aim is to expand the country’s tax base, she added. “That would mean investing a bit — renting or buying a home.” ..........

The proposal goes further than other countries, however, with the flat tax rate in Greece to apply to other sources of revenue as well as pensions, according to the draft law.
“The 7 per cent flat rate will apply to whatever income a person might have, be that rents or dividends as well as pensions,” said Alex Patelis, chief economic adviser to Kyriakos Mitsotakis, the prime minister.

I was about to start a 6-month sabbatical when all this started. Long-awaited trips to friends and family in USA, Canada, Bali, Australia, New Zealand, Denmark, France, Germany, Israel, South Africa... all cancelled. Looking forward to making up for it over the next few years but I won't be in a rush onto a plane.

My main worry is that I can behave impeccably and take all precautions but I cannot predict or control who will be on the flight with me.

I have a strong suspicion that some of the people who are travelling at the moment are more likely to be risk takers in general and may have been less careful recently. I have no evidence for that but I think it's a reasonable assumption.

Dozens of potentially infected passengers in a small space for 2+ hours and it only takes 1 cough or sneeze in my vicinity. Being ill abroad can be a nightmare, even in the best of times.

Plenty of beautiful and historic destinations in Ireland.

Alas, London (May) cancelled; Spain (July); London (August) cancelled and Spain (Sept) cancelled. I feel that I shouldn't travel and risk bringing back the virus to my family/friends. No relatives coming into Ireland either this year, again to protect themselves and others.

Interestingly an article in the Irish Times yesterday stated that if you do travel overseas any travel insurance is invalid, not just for Covid issues, but for any injury, theft, lost luggage etc.
"They will also have no cover for lost bags, criminal damage or cancelled flights while they are overseas." was what was stated

The article also clarified the EHIC covers EU citizens for public treatment. I would imagine the cohort going to the 'Ballymuns' resorts of Spain would only ever rely on the EHIC regardless.

"While those in possession of a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) will be able to access medical care in most public hospitals in Europe, they will have to bear the costs of private treatments or repatriation, which can run to tens of thousands, if it is necessary."

Alas, London (May) cancelled; Spain (July); London (August) cancelled and Spain (Sept) cancelled. I feel that I shouldn't travel and risk bringing back the virus to my family/friends. No relatives coming into Ireland either this year, again to protect themselves and others.

An alternative without breaking the bank

Conor Popes article in the Irish Times refers to travel insurance being Invalid if you travel abroad.
However, most private health insurance have cover for health emergencies abroad.

That is true but will insurance cover you if you pick up the Covid in another country and dont forget that if there happens to be a cluster of cases ,places can close down fairly quickly. Just look at the area of the Costa Blanca a few days ago bars , restaurants night clubs etc closed down overnight.

I think it’s crazy to venture overseas. Things can change quickly and the very acts of passing through an airport and travelling on an aeroplane are more risky. And throw ambiguity around insurance into the mix as well.

Last edited:
I was due to go on a hiking trip which I have just cancelled due to quarantining for 2 weeks upon return. I fear that in the next month we might see restrictions increased again.

I had planned an Italy trip in June which was cancelled, and due to go to New York in September. I am not just cancelling everything for the foreseeable future.

I have been spending some time down in Wexford since travel restrictions have been lifted. The beaches are busy, but in general social distancing in shops etc is working well.

Note that the Department of Foreign Affairs has changed its travel advisory for green list countries to "take normal precautions".

Despite this however, Insurance Ireland said earlier this week that the green list “does not equate to a relaxation of the non-essential travel policy”.
This suggested that insurance companies may take the view that, green list or no green list, Irish tourists may not be covered if they travel abroad for non-essential reasons.
Insurance Ireland was correctly pointing to the fact that the overarching government advice was still to avoid non-essential travel.
In a statement today, Irish travel insurance provider GetCover.ie called for greater clarification and labelled the advice for green list countries as ‘very conflicting’.
Asked about the insurance issue, Coveney said that insurance companies will make decisions on the basis of the official travel advice and that the advice has changed in relation to the 15 countries.
The best advice, however, is probably to check with your own insurance provider before making any decisions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back