Anglo Nationalised: what does this mean & what is the significance/consequence of it?

Z

z106

Anglo has just been nationalised.

In lay mans terms what does this mean and what is the significance/consequence of it?

I know it means the state now owns it?
But what exactly does that mean?

That the government is now also a part time bank as well as running the country?

Re: Anglo has been nationalised

Excellent News - however they better not keep dropping the interest rates.

Interesting to see that they are going to compensate the shareholders. I wonder what they'll end up paying for the shares of what was essentially an insolvent bank?

Interesting to see that they are going to compensate the shareholders. I wonder what they'll end up paying for the shares of what was essentially an insolvent bank?

I would say the shareholders (myself being one) will get a huge big '0'. But i have no problem with that, as that is the name of the game.

A lot to be said for the statement 'Do not put in what you cannot afford to lose'!!!

How many billions has Sean Quinn and his family lost??? Bloody hell.

Government statement here - [broken link removed]

Customer's will get a letter in the next few days. Any chance of a loyalty bonus for savers? (could you imagine the outcry)

According to the goverment statement, shareholders will be compensated.

We might get shares in Anglo . . . they're going cheap.

z

The government are for it. Cowen is finished. What a mess. The builders party has bankrupt the Country.

Why would the Government compensate shareholders? They invested in a company that has now failed. Why waste money on compensation?

Why would the Government compensate shareholders? They invested in a company that has now failed. Why waste money on compensation?

Even as a shareholder i agree. They shouldnt, but im sure there are plenty of ff members that have shares and interests in anglo.

An assessor will be appointed to see if the bank is worth anything now. If there is no worth, there will be no compensation, however if the assessor determines that the bank is of some value, compensation will be made, however low that is. So says Mr. Lenihan.

Lads,
What are the consequences (if any) for the Quinn group with respect to the money borrowed to cover Quinns stake in Anglo? I am extremely nervous at the moment as I have (and my mother) savings in Quinn Life via their freeway funds. Are these under any threat?

Lads,
What are the consequences (if any) for the Quinn group with respect to the money borrowed to cover Quinns stake in Anglo? I am extremely nervous at the moment as I have (and my mother) savings in Quinn Life via their freeway funds. Are these under any threat?

have a search on aam. This topic was covered somewhere before. Perhaps Brendan or somebody else can clarify the answer to this

What will happen to the workers in Anglo?

Back