€1 million For Rory Gallagher's Guitar . . . Or For Donal Gallagher's Lifestyle ?

The biggest problem is that most of his fans are from Cork and Cork people are too mean to pay into a museum. ;)
I know that's a joke but he genuinely has a very international fan base, you should see ballyshannon on June Bank Holiday, it is choc a bloc with camper vans from all over Europe. I can't think of any other irish artist or festival that generates that interest , he may not have the U2 record sales but I doubt u2 would generate that interest, I know they did back in 80s and 90s but not now. Gallagher fan base is fiercely loyal

I know that's a joke but he genuinely has a very international fan base, you should see ballyshannon on June Bank Holiday, it is choc a bloc with camper vans from all over Europe. I can't think of any other irish artist or festival that generates that interest , he may not have the U2 record sales but I doubt u2 would generate that interest, I know they did back in 80s and 90s but not now. Gallagher fan base is fiercely loyal
Daniel O'Donnell springs to mind, age group of his fans probably in line with Gallaghers fan base :)

The thing about Rory's management is that everything is so bog-standard.

No business addresses in lock-up garages in South London. No offshore trusts (so far anyhow) in Bermuda.

Just plain old Ltd companies with hip names like Strange Music (Donal's naming ?) or Capo Records (Rory's effort ?) put together by accountants/lawyers on the fringes of the London music scene. Then plain old annual accounts with a profits very modest indeed. Often just abridged balance sheets. Expenses always seem to eat into the turnover however big or small it be.

The one novelty is the changing of names of the main holding company. It goes from Strange Music to RG2016 to being taken over by UMC - then starts again as a Gallagher 'family vehicle' Strange Music. Donal's attachment to his company name is almost touching.

No probate record is listed in UK or Ireland for one William Rory Gallagher. This suggests that the main assets of the great man may have been company owned and personal effects would not amount to much. It seems that the guitar, mandolin, sax, harmonica and amps collection was either unloved and unvalued in 1995 or someone neglected to contemplate parting with them.

How times can change . . . :(

Last edited:
It seems that the guitar, mandolin, sax, harmonica and amps collection was either unloved and unvalued in 1995 or someone neglected to contemplate parting with them.

How times can change . . .
I made that point aswell, the guitar is only valuable now it wasn't back then, not monetary anyway. I think alot of it is to do with YouTube if that didn't exist Gallagher would be largely forgotten about but because there is so much quality footage on YouTube the guitar is now synonymous with his powerful live performances. Gallagher uniquely for 1970s and 80s had alot of his live performances recorded in very high quality, can thank german , Dutch and British TV companies for that. The bigger acts of the day didn't have so much material broadcast on TV as they were more commercial so we're more interested in selling records and live videos than giving free performances to TV. That is now standing to Gallagher as his legacy grows not diminishes

I think alot of it is to do with YouTube if that didn't exist Gallagher would be largely forgotten about but because there is so much quality footage on YouTube the guitar is now synonymous with his powerful live performances.
He doesn't have massive viewing figures on YouTube though, so I think it's more a niche underground following. No doubt the guitar has value to some, but the suggested price would put it amongst the most expensive of all time.

Back