When were 7 digit phone numbers introduced in Dublin?

Now that I remember it. We did not have a chair to sit on beside the phone. I either sat on the floor or on the bottom steps of the stairs.
And if you told that to young folks nowadays they wouldn't believe you!

Now that I remember it. We did not have a chair to sit on beside the phone. I either sat on the floor or on the bottom steps of the stairs.
With a glass of whiskey in the hand, I enjoy sitting on the floor in the wee hours listening to music.

I remember in some halls, you'd see a combined piece of furniture, which has a cushioned bench to sit on and a stand for the landline.
I just bought a house from a dead person. There was one of those in the hall and general decor to match.

Ah all of ye city folk with your 6 digits in the 80s! I remember growing up where our phone number was just three digits! ;)
Remember the cushioned seat beside the phone alright but that was rarely used as everyone could listen in if you sat there!

And what about the people who had a lovely hall with a lovely cushioned seat beside the hall table which had a big heavy black phone with a winding handle for ringing an operator to put you through to anywhere.. they had only two numbers as a phone number.. When the phone went faulty and for a little extra they could get a white one .. if they wanted one..

You're safe then... haven't you sworn never to set foot on that accursed soil :)
I say all sorts of things. To know me is to ignore me.
I'll be there the weekend after this one and again in January. I love Cork.

Back