When were 7 digit phone numbers introduced in Dublin?

Brendan Burgess

Founder
My family home number was 6 digits when I was a kid.

But at some stage a 2 was added before the number.
In other areas a 4 was added.

I would like to know the year this happened.

Brendan

I remember it being in the mid 1980's but I can't find any specifics online.

Probably because she was calling you from a coinbox, and if she had dialled the wrong number, she could have pressed Button B and got her money back.

Brendan
Sometimes, she got her money back , other times she got more than she bargained for .......like an answer..

Last edited:
My family home number was 6 digits when I was a kid.

But at some stage a 2 was added before the number.
In other areas a 4 was added.

I would like to know the year this happened.

Brendan
In 1998 on 16 th July the Irish times had an article announcing the changes to numbering systems in some Dublin areas due to extra demand for phone lines .

Gordon.
That is brilliant. I had not seen that at the end of the link.

I had also thought it was earlier.
Brendan

Number changesEdit

Several major number changes have occurred since 1990. The telephone number changes in Dublin and Cork took several years to complete, as they were busier area codes with few available lead digits. Other number changes took place in just one step, with all numbers being changed simultaneously.

To minimise disruption simultaneous working was enabled, allowing old numbers to remain mapped and active for a run-in period of one year. Caller ID only displayed the new numbers. This was followed by recorded announcements which remained active for at least a year, advising callers of the number change. Eventually this would be replaced by a dialling error message.

1990–1994Edit

Dublin (01) changes to 7-digits.

• All local numbers with the area code 01 changed from 6–digits to 7–digits in five stages between 1990 and 1994:
    • On 2 April 1990, numbers beginning with 23, 24, 26, 27, 28, 70 and 79 were prefixed with 6.
    • On 8 April 1991, numbers beginning with 8 and 69 were prefixed with 2.
    • On 4 April 1992, numbers beginning with 4 and the remaining 6–digit numbers beginning with 2 were prefixed with 8. Numbers beginning with 95 and 98 were prefixed with 2.
    • On 24 April 1993, numbers beginning with 75, 780, 781, 782, 783 and 784 were prefixed with 4, while numbers beginning with 60, 61, 68, 71, 76, 77, 785and 789 were prefixed with 6, and numbers beginning with 72, 73, 74, 786, 787 and 788 were prefixed with 8.
    • On 16 April 1994, numbers beginning with 3 were prefixed with 8, while numbers beginning with 5 and 9 were prefixed with 4.

1998–2000​

I remember it being in the mid 1980's but I can't find any specifics online.
I'd be of the same opinion, if I remember correctly the numbers in Greystones got a 2 as the lead number
Now before you say it Greystones although in County Wicklow was also in the 01 phone book
but our business number in Dublin changed mid nineties if I remember correctly

Call Jenny on 867-5309! (Google it... a great song!)
Try 5705 by city Boy another great 70s song that will be a ear worm for the rest of the day!!!!

Back