What will happen when/if the PService deal is rejected?

I understand that but take it from those who can afford to give it, PS have already given it twice, enough is enough.

As someone the unions claim "can afford it" I'd willingly pay even more tax in order to prop up an unsustainable PS/CS that is too big and too expensive for the country to afford. Heck I'd even give the keys of my house to facilitate such a fresh and proven economic principle.

It's only right that after years of frugal living and investment I take even more of a hit (besides the increased tax, substantial pay cuts, large job insecurity, increased working ours and output) for the poor management and expansion of service during the boom years and those who quietly accepted the rewards while the times were good.

Shall I make the cheque out to yourself or do you just want me to set up a standing order.

As someone the unions claim "can afford it" I'd willingly pay even more tax in order to prop up an unsustainable PS/CS that is too big and too expensive for the country to afford. Heck I'd even give the keys of my house to facilitate such a fresh and proven economic principle.

It's only right that after years of frugal living and investment I take even more of a hit (besides the increased tax, substantial pay cuts, large job insecurity, increased working ours and output) for the poor management and expansion of service during the boom years and those who quietly accepted the rewards while the times were good.

Shall I make the cheque out to yourself or do you just want me to set up a standing order.

Well said.
It has to be remembered that in broad terms the public sector has done far better out of the celtic tiger boom than the private sector; ten years ago the public sector was paid more than the private sector and in the last ten years the pay gap between the two has increased, not decreased. This is particularly true amongst lower paid groups.

Your guess is as good as mine purple, but i'm sure there are ways and means, I agree the PS needs reform for example 2 prison officers driving an inmate 250m to go to a court to answer a non display of tax summons.... cost to the tax payer?.... €1,500!
Putting people in prison for non criminal offences?.... probably 200k per year. simple steps that need to be taken that are right under their noses. I understand that the govt need to take immediate action which they have done and the above examples would take a lot longer, but, show the public that there is some sort of long term plan to cut spending not alone on pay, but on other measures that are wasting money. We need to have a forward plan, trust and above all leadership. Then we might start to have faith in the government, the public are begging for a light at the end of the tunnel.. show us one.

Just to note I am referring to the lower paid public servants, the ones that live week to week trying to keep a roof over their heads like a lot of others in the country, the ones that are the main bread winner in the house as their partner has also been made redundant and is entitled to nothing as the PS worker earns over €340 per week. Remember it wasn't the lower paid PS workers that ruined the public finances.
People always speak in broad terms thats the problem, most PS i know earn less than 30k per year.

They are countless talented people working in the public sector who are doing pen pushing jobs/repeative jobs.

While at the same time - you cannot pay rates online, pay motor tax online for a goods vehicle etc.

People always speak in broad terms thats the problem, most PS i know earn less than 30k per year.
I'm always a but sceptical about that statistic. What proportion of PS employees earning under €30k a year are working part time or job sharing?

The pay scales for a clerical officer start at €23k p.a full time permanent.

Sure but are there any allowances for qualifications etc like there are for teachers?
What the headline figures are is one thing, what's on their P60 is what matters.

Sure but are there any allowances for qualifications etc like there are for teachers?
What the headline figures are is one thing, what's on their P60 is what matters.

I have always started at the first point on the scale for any of the positions I have held regardless of having an Honours degree, Masters and post graduate diploma. I don't understand the teacher thing (surely if you need a teaching qualification then you should only start on point 1 rather than 3 for having that qualification) but I don't think it is widespread in the public sector.

The pay scales for a clerical officer start at €23k p.a full time permanent.
Yes, but after 7 years it is €30,688, and eventually rises to €37,341.
So for most of the PS to be earning less than €30K, there would need to be an awful lot of very recent recruits, or people choosing to work part time.

I have always started at the first point on the scale for any of the positions I have held regardless of having an Honours degree, Masters and post graduate diploma. I don't understand the teacher thing (surely if you need a teaching qualification then you should only start on point 1 rather than 3 for having that qualification) but I don't think it is widespread in the public sector.

Same here. I have improved my qualifications since going the civil service and have never got an extra allowance for it so I do not understand why it happens in other grades. Maybe this is one of the areas the government will look to make savings without hitting core pay?

Yes, but after 7 years it is €30,688, and eventually rises to €37,341.
So for most of the PS to be earning less than €30K, there would need to be an awful lot of very recent recruits, or people choosing to work part time.

Yes there are a lot of recent (in the last 6 years) recruits, a position that was advertised regularly in the Irish Independent. Anyone (who wanted to earn after 25 years in the civil service 37k per year) could have applied for but didn't because the private sector was better paid.

Back