Things that annoy you

There's one of the news readers, I forget his name (Finnerty or something, I think), but he tries to put life into his delivery. Ridiculously exaggerated intonations all over the place, really irks me.

I agree that Michael Murphy's voice is also way OTT.

Also what is this when there are two of them and they are made to look at the start as if they are chatting to each other casually when -"oops we're on now".

One huge inefficient lumbering collection of behemoths really annoy me:

The public sector...yes...yes... I know they are not all useless & I have encountered this myself but in my experience, the majority seem to be:

Highly unprofessional, lazy, immature, uncooperative, rude and of below average intelligence.

The public sector...yes...yes... I know they are not all useless & I have encountered this myself but in my experience, the majority seem to be:

Highly unprofessional, lazy, immature, uncooperative, rude and of below average intelligence.

Most public servants I've encountered have been:

highly professional, career minded, hard working, mature, mannerly and highly intelligent.

Why can the petrol stations in this country not have an 'in' and an 'out', entrance and exit?

They all have two access points.

Also Large vehicles parking between these two points restricting your veiw when leaving the garage. Not just annoying but downright dangerous.

Most public servants I've encountered have been:

highly professional, career minded, hard working, mature, mannerly and highly intelligent.

Well lucky you Cole - are you in the public sector by any chance?

Even you must admit you are pushing it with the "highly" ;)

I have dealt with Co Councils, Govt Depts & HSE every working day for the last 10 years and as I've said, I have encountered some efficient, conscientious people - but the majority have fallen under the categories I mention.

I also know a few public "servants" on a personal level who casually admit that what I say is fairly accurate.

I'm from Roscommon and was chatting to someone today and mentioned that fact, and they said to me "oh I used to work with a girl from Longford, you might know her". WTF?? It's not even in Connacht, just happens to border part of our county.

Not pointing the finger or anything but a mate I worked with in Dublin started in his position and was asked where he was from. "Roscommon", he proudly replies. "Oh", said his (dub) co-worker, "Is that in County Athlone?" This was said earnestly, seriously and with no sarcasm !!!

People, learn your Irish geography!!

Edit: This was also in the Public 'Service' !!

Last edited:
Bought this electric toothbrush today. It was wrapped in a most trenchant plastic which even with heavy duty scissors took me about 10 minutes to undo. WTF do they pack them like that?

As I posted on another thread, my little rant for today is the following:
could posters try and use some grammar in their posts ?
A few sentences starting with capital letters would at least be a start and go some way to making them bloody readable.

When I come across somebody using that quality of written English, I immediately assume they are lazy and/or ignorant.
Come to think of it, actually I have come across that standard of English and it was a letter from worker in HSE.
Quelle surprise !

If the quality of English grammar and spelling used by posters to forums on the internet (not just counting this forum but almost all of them), is anything to go by, then our education system is pathetic.

BTW becuase I am a "techie" I would always consider my own spelling and grammar to be a little lacking but at least I try !

Try unwrapping a doll and all its accessories on Christmas morning with a child willing you to hurry up. Why all the wire, sellotape, cable ties, cardboard plastic? – its just a doll. Santy has a lot to answer for…

BB

Last edited by a moderator:
Well for today it is the habit of people who complain if they receive no explanation for something but scoff at the response when they do!
My particular pet hate is for people who scoff at the "leaves on the line" excuse for trains running slow without stopping to consider or to ask why this causes an issue. The presumption they make is that it is ludicrous/untrue/lazy or otherwise the fault of the train operator and dismiss it.
(PS I don't work for any rail company, I just know the reasoning behind it because I asked for an explanation once from a rail engineer and it was very reasonable)

When I'm drinking Corona in a pub and they run out of limes. They have limes for the first couple of drinks and after that they chance giving you a slice of lemon thinking you won't notice! Or what annoys me even more is when I ask "have you got limes" the answer is always "we have lemons". Eh, that's not what I asked!

Not pointing the finger or anything but a mate I worked with in Dublin started in his position and was asked where he was from. "Roscommon", he proudly replies. "Oh", said his (dub) co-worker, "Is that in County Athlone?" This was said earnestly, seriously and with no sarcasm !!!

People, learn your Irish geography!!

Edit: This was also in the Public 'Service' !!

That is truly shocking.

Whats the point of the whole "lime with my Corona" thing anyway? Wasn't the purpose of that supposed to be to stop insects getting into your beer when in Mexico?!

Whats the point of the whole "lime with my Corona" thing anyway? Wasn't the purpose of that supposed to be to stop insects getting into your beer when in Mexico?!

I had heard this too - but have since heard that it's an apocryphal story.
I think it's simply that Mexicans eat a lot of limes and to add them to beer is not that unusual for them - in the same way other people would put lime or lemon in a G&T.

I think it's quite nice actually.

I think it was to keep the flies out alright but Corona tastes much better with lime in it.

Back