The Lisbon vote

These are local issues that we have given the Dail and government the right to decide on.

We haven't given them the same rights on EU matters.

Health insureance for me and my family is around 2 grand (not a big family!). you think this is affordable for some one with 3 or 4 kids on an average industrial wage where its probalbly doubled?

That's hilarious. You voted no to the Lisbon Treaty in case it resulted in further privatisation of Irish health services but you actually pay for private health care for yourself.

It is refreshing to see someone whose beliefs run so deep.

Its hilarious to see some people who complain about the lack of democracy in the EU then go on to react with horror at the democratically elected parliamentary representatives of other countries exercising their mandate as they see fit. They have every right to ratify any Treaty they please, and its none of your business I'm afraid.

The French government admitted that if their people voted on this referendum it would be defeated. It was defeated when it went before the French and Dutch people as the Constitution. It's now 95% the same document except that only Ireland had the right to hold a referendum. Why were the other countries not allowed to hold a referendum this time around? Coincidence? :rolleyes:

Socrates,

Sorry for delay in responding.

The reason why those of us living in the UK didn't have a vote is because our Government has reneged on a manifesto undertaking to give us a referendum on the grounds that the Lisbon Treaty is not a constitution. I can't speak for any other country, though I believe that we here are not the only ones denied a referendum on similar grounds.

Back