"The Kilns", Portmarnock-any thoughts on the development?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: "The Kilns", Portmarnock? any thoughts on the development?

I am thinking of taking a trip to the site in the morning. I know the builders used to work weekends, does anyone know if this is still the case?

Ccovich??

I'm not sure, I don't really stir out much on a Saturday.

If I notice this weekend, I'll let people know.

In response to the queries about leaving off skirting boards etc, I was on site about 2 months ago and the foreman told me they wouldn't be doing any of that type of thing, skirting boards off, extra sockets..I wanted to get sockets and cable box moved up the wall for a wall mounted tv so there would be no wires hanging down and they said no to that too. Wasn't a matter of money just said if they do it for one they have to do it for anyone one that asked which would mean delaying other people too which is fair enough.

@portochick - Yeah thats my apartment you were in.....cant believe its almost finished, woohoo!
I was on site briefly yesterday and the electricity has been turned on and they have filled in that ditch outside the entrance to block 3. Apparently the footpath is being laid today. I wont be getting in for another week or so though.....Richard (the finishing foreman) says the end of line apartments will be delayed to facilitate the installation of the staircases to the duplex apartments above.

Hi DubDave - when you say 'end of line' apartments does this mean the end of the block? Are the other units in block 3 still on track??

Yeah Portolad, its the end of block apartments that will be held up while the stairs go in. If ur mid terrace you should be in before me :(

Thanks for the clarification.

So, completion notices for block 3 this week…I won't hold my breath :rolleyes:

Sherry Fitz advised me today that completion for block 3 has been pushed out for another 2 weeks.......

Block 4 and 5 probably be July now. Does anyone know for Blocks 4 and 5 are the 2 bed apartments on the top floor going to have balconys at the back? I was up at weekend and there was no sign of these at the back next to the trees?

Two beds have Balcony to the front, the 3 beds have a terrace at the back which by the looks on things will not be getting much sun

I was under the impression the 2 bed apartments had french doors at the back opening on to a balcony at the back of one of the bedrooms?

On the plus side on the trees, this will enhance the privacyand Id rather look at trees than the train tracks.

Hi steveyd,

All of the 2 bed apartments in Blocks 4 and 5 (except the apartment closest to Station Rd in Block 4) will have a balcony off one of the bedrooms to the rear, overlooking the trees/track. In Block 4, the doors are in place at the moment, but not the balconies. Have not seen Block 5.

Starting to look like July for snagging in Block 4, which means Aug at earliest for move. Starting. To. Drag. Now!!

Spark

I hope somebody could please let me know what is the sq foot size on the 2 bed apartments and what was the last asking price they went for.

Thanks,

you'd have to ask Sherry Fitz that - but i do know a cancellation was released in Feb for a 2 bed for €400k

Yeh I asked at one of the viewings they had a few months ago for the houses and was told the next phase would be from 400k.

A little too much if you ask me. I live 30 seconds from the Kilns (renting) and there's just so little in Portmarnock in my opinion. The nearest decent pub is in Malahide. The nearest local shop is the Texaco. The nearest supermarket is Dunnes which is more like a Eurospar. It has the DART line which is a bonus and the actual apartments are lovely looking inside and out but I just think even 380k would be a fairer price, a car really is a must living out there.

Maybe I'm wrong!

I'm pretty comfortable with what's available in Portmarnock, the biggest selling point for me is the DART, not whether there is a supermarket within walking distance. I, like most buyers, am looking forward to stepping off that train from Connolly and taking 1 minute to get home. Bliss. The shopping was always going to be a car journey to either Tescos near the Hole in the Wall road or Dunnes - Malahide for fun and games. I currently rent in Ballsbridge and apart from a few pubs and restaurants, there is one crappy Spar shop that mostly seems to sell alcohol and a few ready meals - so hardly a welter of facilities there. Location location location - Portmarnock I think has been a brilliant purchase for those who have done so and I think the worth of the Kilns will be proved over time. The shops will surely follow but I for one have bought for the transport links, the beach nearby and the feeling of being away from the city centre .

I would say that despite the DART you still need a car if living on Station Road as it is pretty cut off from the rest of the village.

IMHO the village itself is pretty miserable (I say this as someone who is an owner occupier in Portmarnock). Station Road is due a substantial upgrade to a 'boulevard' in the next 5 years that will have the effect of creating a 'town centre' on Station Road, so that will make a big difference.

There has been planning permission granted for 1200+ units to the south of the DART station as part of the latest (final) Portmarnock Development Plan. This will have a huge effect on Station Road and the DART. Services are due to improve in line with this development, so hopefully the extra housing will not cause severe congestion on transport services etc.

i was never in any doubt about the need for a car, which I own, and i'm sure the location will not suit everyone. but as i pointed out, a car is needed in many other parts of dublin to get about and to transport shopping, that kind of thing. for me it's a great location, with A-list transport links (well, in so far as what is currently available in Dublin!). I'm really looking forward to it now!

Some interesting stuff there CCOVICH.

Beachman, the DART is pretty handy for you alright but presumably you use that for work? That's 9 hours a day maybe, 45 of your week. For the other 123 hours in the week, basing a house purchase purely on a job is a bit mad I think.

I think a shop, nevermind a supermarket, within walking distance is of as much use as a DART line when it comes to a location.

It would take probably 25 minutes round trip for me to walk from my apartment to Texaco to get a carton of milk. When you need it in a hurry, you need a car.

The beach is great, but after a few weeks it gets boring. It also rains a lot.;)

I've worked in Ballsbridge for 9 years now and while you're right, it's not really a residential district, by and large but it is within walking distance of town.

In 5 years it will probably be great but from someone who lives in Portmarnock, all I do is sleep there.

Without doubt, good investment, I just think they're overpriced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back