Public sector V Public sector

With all due respect (and I mean that) that’s utter nonsense. In euro terms the gap is widening and as a percentage of each other’s pay the gap is widening. As I said already if you earned €1 million one year and got a €200’000 pay increase the next and I earned €20’000 a year and got a €5’000 pay rise I would be getting a bigger percentage pay increase but the gap between our total pay rates would have increased by €195’000.

Would that then by justification for you to ask for another pay increase?

It is possible to play with figures for hours going by your example

Ok first year is 1,000,000 and you have 20,000 % would be 2%

Second year is 1,200,000 and you have 25,000 % would be 2.08%

Most peoples wages increase by %...what other way is there.

The private sector wages % compared to public sector have increased in the last 10 years from 74% compared to 77% today (excluding the 7.5% pension levy which brings it up to 83%).

It is possible to play with figures for hours going by your example

Ok first year is 1,000,000 and you have 20,000 % would be 2%

Second year is 1,200,000 and you have 25,000 % would be 2.08%

Most peoples wages increase by %...what other way is there.

The private sector wages % compared to public sector have increased in the last 10 years from 74% compared to 77% today (excluding the 7.5% pension levy which brings it up to 83%).

So in answer to my question "Would that then by justification for you to ask for another pay increase?" you are saying 'yes'.

Strange logic but I'm starting to understand Brethren logic. Is there a "Beared statistics 101" evening class in Liberty Hall (they do irony very well!) that I can attend?

So in answer to my question "Would that then by justification for you to ask for another pay increase?" you are saying 'yes'.

Strange logic but I'm starting to understand Brethren logic. Is there a "Beared statistics 101" evening class in Liberty Hall (they do irony very well!) that I can attend?

Ok can we accept that the public sector has by far more people with degrees than the private sector.

All the various professionals that work in the Public service all have to be paid better than burger flippers.

If you have a head architect in the PS who is in charge of a hundred architects you don't pay him the minimum wage, you pay him far more than that.

I don't believe there should be more pay increases but trying to compare the likes of the public sector and the private sector is just impossible.

In a thread recently someone mentioned they would like to have Michael O' (R)Leary take over the public service, Ryanair staff don't understand the phrase "Service" so how on earth would he know anything about it.

And most importantly the Public Service is about just that, Service.

Ok can we accept that the public sector has by far more people with degrees than the private sector.

All the various professionals that work in the Public service all have to be paid better than burger flippers.

If you have a head architect in the PS who is in charge of a hundred architects you don't pay him the minimum wage, you pay him far more than that.

I don't believe there should be more pay increases but trying to compare the likes of the public sector and the private sector is just impossible.

In a thread recently someone mentioned they would like to have Michael O' (R)Leary take over the public service, Ryanair staff don't understand the phrase "Service" so how on earth would he know anything about it.

Who has suggested that architects get paid the minimum wage? The biggest gap in the public v private sector pay is at the lower levels where professional qualifications don't come into it.

The public service is about service but it is not about service at any price.

As Sunny pointed out, the more qualified people in the public sector are less well paid than the semiskilled clerical staff relative to their counterparts in the private sector.
That’s not the point though, the lie is continuously trotted out by the bearded brethren that the public sector didn’t benefit from the boom. I am simply pointing out that the facts are that the overall pay gap between private and public sector has increased over the last few years so in fact the public sector benefited most from the boom.

I agree, as the various professionals that work in the private sector have to be paid more than the unskilled people in the public sector.

Nobody suggested otherwise.

No it’s not.

Not me, I just posted a link to his comments. That said there’s many areas of the public sector that would run rings around Ryanair when it comes to giving bad service.

Lol, good one!

From memory, in one of the ERSI reports the public sector premium for third level graduates was small compared to other groups.

From memory, in one of the ERSI reports the public sector premium for third level graduates was small compared to other groups.

IRRELEVANT YOUR HONOUR! ;)

(Well, considering most 'sentinels of the sector' on this site regard the ESRI report as deeply flawed - in particular, S.L.F as it happens :))

As a general rule in the public service, general operative/clerical grade types of jobs are overpaid and management (excluding politically appointed people at very top) is under paid.

A management (excluding politically appointed people at very top) is under paid.
Just for the record, the only politically appointed people are non-executive board members, with a very small number of exceptions for some individual office holders (Ombudsman, FS Ombudman, etc).

Back