Pub Sector get 12 days unpaid leave, where are the following years cuts to come from?

Re: Pub Sector get 12 days unpaid leave, where are the following years cuts to come f

I am very disappointed to have to take another pay cut, particularly as parts of An Bord Snip have been shelved because the government lacks bottle. However, I think the unions should just take it on the chin and go back to the government in the new year and proceed to put together the long term plan for reform. Otherwise, the same thing is going to happen at next year's budget. There will be another pay cut.
They should ask the government straight out how much money they want to reduce the PS bill by in the next 3 budgets. If this money can be saved without having to actually cut pay scales at least this debate won't be happening every year.

Great post, well said.

Re: Pub Sector get 12 days unpaid leave, where are the following years cuts to come f

However, I think the unions should just take it on the chin and go back to the government in the new year and proceed to put together the long term plan for reform.
It's just a damn shame they haven't been proactive in this regard at all. Reform has been promised over and over and hasn't been delivered. It is demoralising to be taking pay cuts and thinking there are yet more to come. Instead of threatening the Irish people, the unions should be pro-active on the reform front so they gain the respect of the people. Then they can point to reforms achieved, instead of making empty promises, and perhaps people would have more respect for their position.

From Peter McLoone in todays Irish Times.

The proposed deal included explicit agreement on the redeployment of civil and public servants, within and between organisations, to ensure better services as budgets and staffing declined.
Long-sought changes like the extended working day, which would deliver more flexibility and longer health service opening hours, were there for the taking. So were increases in day care, community health services, outpatient and diagnostic capacity.
The deal would have seen the introduction of shared services in areas like finance, procurement, human resources and payroll across health services, local authorities, education and the Civil Service. Competitive and merit-based promotions would have been extended to the last remaining areas of the public service, new procedures for redeploying surplus teachers would have been introduced, supervision and substitution arrangements would have been improved.
Staff co-operation with the restructuring and rationalisation of VECs and State agencies would have been guaranteed, better management and standardisation of annual and sick leave would have happened, and better Civil Service opening and closing times would have been introduced.
These are just some examples of the detailed changes that we tabled for the health services, education, local authorities and Civil Service – all as Government spending decreased. But the deal floundered because the Government reneged on its earlier agreement that the temporary measure of unpaid leave could enable us to get through 2010, before the transformation programme began to yield big savings.

Why did it take the threat of a pay cut to get all these things on the table and 'there for the taking'. Where were offers on these things during the years of so called 'partnership'. For years we have hearing from trade unions how efficient the public sector was and about all these reforms that were supposed to have happened. And yet the unions by some sort of mircle suddenly discovered all these inefficiencies that could be improved. It just goes to show that the past few years has been a case of take take take by public sector unions. They offered nothing but industrial relations peace in return.
Every reform mentioned by the Unions at the talks should be pushed through. With or without their co-operation.

There is no point in cutting our pay if they don't stop increments. The pension levy cuts were more of less cancelled out for me when I got my increment in August.

There is no point in cutting our pay if they don't stop increments. The pension levy cuts were more of less cancelled out for me when I got my increment in August.

I can never understand why increments never seem to be on the agenda. I mentioned to one of my colleagues months ago that the government should freeze increments and she was against the idea even though she is at the top of her scale and it would not affect her. Her reasoning was that it would be unfair as I should be allowed reached the top of my scale in the same time frame.
I think €250-300 million was added to the pay bill last year by people getting their increments so you would think that even a freeze for 2010 would mean the pay cut (which is permanent) required would be lower.
Most people will still reach the top of the sacle, only a bit later than they thought.

That's some increment. I'm down €80 a week with all the levies so it would take some increment for me to get all back.

Pay has to be cut as freezing increments alone won't change the pay bill that much. That and the unfairness of people like consultants who are on the max would not be affected. A cut of 15% in consultants pay will be a nice bit.

I can see both happening tomorrow and I always thought they would just cut pay and leave increments.

How have the private sector showed how it really feels? and who in your opinion are the "private sector"? The cleaners,the delivery people, the farmers, the butchers, the chippies, the general operative, the shop assitant, the factory line worker, the bar person, the list could go on. Every job that isn't paid for by the state is done a a person that works in the "Private Sector".

The people on the street aren't talking about the trade unions and the PS, they'll be talking about them though if more strikes ensue.

So again, who in your mind are the private sector and how have they made their feelings clearly shown?

What do you mean 'Who is the Private Sector'?

'They' have made their feelings very clear on this and many other forums, in letters to the papers, in conversations with Public Sector friends, by their outraged reaction to us getting 'holidays' ie having our working hours cut which resulted in backbenchers threatening to vote agains the budget. I really don't know whether this is a wind up or whether you really think that the private sector are not giving out about PS wages.

You must have got a very big increment or be paying a pretty small levy.

What do you mean 'Who is the Private Sector'?

'They' have made their feelings very clear on this and many other forums, in letters to the papers, in conversations with Public Sector friends, by their outraged reaction to us getting 'holidays' ie having our working hours cut which resulted in backbenchers threatening to vote agains the budget. I really don't know whether this is a wind up or whether you really think that the private sector are not giving out about PS wages.

In fairness, I know plenty of lower paid public sector workers who were equally outraged at the suggestion.

You must have got a very big increment or be paying a pretty small levy.

The levy for lower paid clerical grades was only 4 or 5% so it is possible that one increment would cancel it out.

There is no point in cutting our pay if they don't stop increments.

+1

This is not intended as an inflammatory description, but really, increments are automatic pay rises aren't they? Is there any other way of putting it?

Personally, I only ever get a pay rise if the company can afford to give me one. I certainly don't get one every year anyway. Didn't get one this year or last year either.

Maybe have a temporary freeze on increments, to be reviewed after 2 years?

In fairness, I know plenty of lower paid public sector workers who were equally outraged at the suggestion.

But not for the same reason. A lot of the private sector outrage was at the fact that our pay cut would be matched by a cut in hours worked. I can't imagine lower ranked public sector workers were agitating to work the same hours for less pay.

The levy for lower paid clerical grades was only 4 or 5% so it is possible that one increment would cancel it out.

Possibly. But my understanding is that Sandrat is a librarian so would not be a lower paid clerical grade.

+1

This is not intended as an inflammatory description, but really, increments are automatic pay rises aren't they? Is there any other way of putting it?

Personally, I only ever get a pay rise if the company can afford to give me one. I certainly don't get one every year anyway. Didn't get one this year or last year either.

I agree that increments are far too easily come by in the Public Sector. But I think there's a bigger issue here around the effectiveness of Performance Management and how realistic the marking structure is. This is certainly something that could usefully be looked at as part of reform.

+1

I signed a contract that stated a payscale so freezing my increment is changing my t&c's.

Yes they are payrises which are only meant to be paid based on satisfactory service. The automatic granting of them is something that crept in over the years, I'm just guessing here though.

I am very disappointed to have to take another pay cut, particularly as parts of An Bord Snip have been shelved because the government lacks bottle. However, I think the unions should just take it on the chin and go back to the government in the new year and proceed to put together the long term plan for reform. Otherwise, the same thing is going to happen at next year's budget. There will be another pay cut.
They should ask the government straight out how much money they want to reduce the PS bill by in the next 3 budgets. If this money can be saved without having to actually cut pay scales at least this debate won't be happening every year.

Very sensible.

After tomorrow any reasonable person will recognise that the Public service have certainly not been immune from this downturn.

I think a lot of the outrage was from the non-unionised who felt that the idea of any worker being exempt from this financial downturn was simply not fair. People who'd been hit hard were basically in no mood to have sympathy with the zero cuts stance of unions.

I believe we can move on from this point and there's now an opportunity for the entire public to get behind the idea that significant and permanent public sector reform rather than further pay cuts are the way forward from here.

I believe we can move on from this point and there's now an opportunity for the entire public to get behind the idea that significant and permanent public sector reform rather than further pay cuts are the way forward from here.

This is an important point. We need those making sacrifices to feel that it is in the common good, and that in taking the hit, they are in some way contributing towards a recovery, rather than being victims of the downturn.

From Peter McLoone in todays Irish Times.

The proposed deal included explicit agreement on the redeployment of civil and public servants, within and between organisations, to ensure better services as budgets and staffing declined.
Long-sought changes like the extended working day, which would deliver more flexibility and longer health service opening hours, were there for the taking. So were increases in day care, community health services, outpatient and diagnostic capacity.
The deal would have seen the introduction of shared services in areas like finance, procurement, human resources and payroll across health services, local authorities, education and the Civil Service. Competitive and merit-based promotions would have been extended to the last remaining areas of the public service, new procedures for redeploying surplus teachers would have been introduced, supervision and substitution arrangements would have been improved.
Staff co-operation with the restructuring and rationalisation of VECs and State agencies would have been guaranteed, better management and standardisation of annual and sick leave would have happened, and better Civil Service opening and closing times would have been introduced.
These are just some examples of the detailed changes that we tabled for the health services, education, local authorities and Civil Service – all as Government spending decreased. But the deal floundered because the Government reneged on its earlier agreement that the temporary measure of unpaid leave could enable us to get through 2010, before the transformation programme began to yield big savings.

Why did it take the threat of a pay cut to get all these things on the table and 'there for the taking'. Where were offers on these things during the years of so called 'partnership'. For years we have hearing from trade unions how efficient the public sector was and about all these reforms that were supposed to have happened. And yet the unions by some sort of mircle suddenly discovered all these inefficiencies that could be improved. It just goes to show that the past few years has been a case of take take take by public sector unions. They offered nothing but industrial relations peace in return.
Every reform mentioned by the Unions at the talks should be pushed through. With or without their co-operation.

Some posters here would disagree with Mr. McLoone; they think that there is very little scope for improving the public sector and would ask for examples before taking his word for it.

I'm all for public sector reform but sadly the bottom line (ie effect on reducing the 298m we're borrowing per day) wouldn't be changed until the medium / long term. We need to reduce borrowing now and hence the wage reductions. Given that the cost of living is meant to have fallen by 6% over the last 12 months, surely a reduction of 6% is the minimum to be sought?

I said it more or less covered the pension levy it didn't cover the health levy or the income levy. It didn't totally cover the pension levy but I still didn't get hit as hard as I would have done if I hadn't gotten the increment. There is no need for people to know what my scale or grade is.My increment was not huge, it was the norm but with the fact that the pension levy is tax deductable, the increment pretty much balanced things out. Maybe the fact that I was on unpaid leave at the start of the year might make things different for me but it wasn't nearly as bad as peopl were predicting in the media before the levy was introduced.

Back