Phoenix Park Racecourse

The phoenix park is very close, it is beautiful on that side, if you like cycling, exercising in the open air is fantastic. The landscape inside the development is nice too and it feels very quiet smells countryside. There is a huge green space and they plan to make it bigger still.
The aspect in the apartments is very good I would say all of them have natural light. The finish is good. The location to go to town is very convenient if you drive is great it is only 7.5 km and you can enjoy the advantages of living in a landscaped place not very far from town. And the neighours seem all very quiet and nice. Many neighbours keep the car outside, so you know you have secure space for cars for visits a well as underground car park space. All the development has cameras inside it looks pretty secure.
The problems I find is that currently they do not have any shops although they plan to open a Londis soon and also I find it not very straight forward to cross the roads to pick the bus in the mornings quick, it takes 5 minutes to the nearest bus stops (only 37 there :( ) and a bit more if you go to navan and you cross safely for more bus routes I watch a lot my time in the morning, apart from that you can evaluate what are your preferences.

But more importantly do you like living there?

I am looking at the moment and think I might take a look. Would you recommend and why?

Against:
* Prices have dropped massively and are doing so at a steady rate, they are well below the initial off the plans lunch price.
* It's a massive development with 2400 units going in there, it will take them 10 years+ to sell all those apartments, so you will be living on a buiding site for 10 years.
* The management fees are 2k+ which is very high.

For:
Nice apartments and good fit out.
Location is nice, but that's subjective

im a bit confused with this development, is it going to be like hansfield in clonsilla, thousands of more houses and too high density of apartments.i mean 2000 euro of a management fee:mad::eek:the location is grand and they look well built but id rather an own door apartment because ive lived in a block of apartments in the city centre and noise is a big issue, other tenants/owners can be annoying etc etc etc.took a drive down to summerseat clonee on sunday.these were nice, own door, good landscape and asking for 220,000.also went to dunboyne castle and own door also, no showhouse open though.rang auctioneer today but no reply.suppose ill keep looking cos great option out there to buy

Against:
* Prices have dropped massively and are doing so at a steady rate, they are well below the initial off the plans lunch price.
* It's a massive development with 2400 units going in there, it will take them 10 years+ to sell all those apartments, so you will be living on a buiding site for 10 years.
* The management fees are 2k+ which is very high.

For:
Nice apartments and good fit out.
Location is nice, but that's subjective

Thanks everyone for the replies:)

Some good points particularly the not so good, 2k is a total rip off for a management fee!! It's that fact alone that puts me off buying an apartment, but I can't seem to find a house I like and can afford. Agree, finish is lovely and the location is great being right beside the Phoenix Park, but the fact that prices could continue to fall and the prospect of living on a building site are quite off putting.

Thanks again.

T

Yes depends on preferences, I wanted to be closer to city centre and a good network of buses. Phoenix park racecourse is quiet and you have also own door apartments. Regarding the building site... they will be building yes at the end of the apartments and they will build according to the needs as long as they are selling, surely they wont be building for a while and they will not launch all the apartments for sale at the same time besides they will also as they build create facilities for the people living there new shops...restaurants... creche ..their planning permission is granted already for all that so that also increases the value of the place what can I say, it is a matter if you like the place or not and if it is convenient for you. Paying 2k is a lot of money that is true but you also enjoy lots of garden and open spaces inside and the place looks good, how many places especially in city centre look old ugly buildings without open space at all and you are paying 1800 ? For what? I wouldnt pay so much money in that condition... if 2k (that I agree is a lot of money but I believe in this country the management fees are crazy anyway everywhere) if 2k are good enough to keep the place always nice then that is ok for me, that also says something about the place.

you do hav a point uma but did you in any way try and get this management fee down, especially in the current climate.

What you pay and what you get are not always proportional.

look at it this way; its a 2k fee, for very little return.

would you consider taxing and insuring a 3L petrol car? probably not, but thats about 2k per year too.

In general, not specific to this development, management fees seem to be very expensive for a very poor level of service/managment in return.

Therefore I would be very wary of expensive (or any any) management fees unless I could see the accounts, and also very obvious signs of where this money is going.

In general, not specific to this development, management fees seem to be very expensive for a very poor level of service/managment in return.

Therefore I would be very wary of expensive (or any any) management fees unless I could see the accounts, and also very obvious signs of where this money is going.

Usually the apartment owners are members od the management company which would entitle you to see the accounts. Either way you could download he accounts from the companies office website.

On the €2K management fee, I would look at this as a positive on the basis that you know that you're neighbours also have to fork out a €2K management fee and would be more likely to take an interest in the general upkeep of the building. A €2K management fee would also be a disincentive for any anti-social types who were also interested in buying in the same building, which is also a danger when buying apartments that are falling in value

Why not suggest raising it to 5K so. Make it really exclusive like.

Though, would that exclude them anti-social types from renting in the same building?

Guys...lookin at purchasing in this development. Can ye give me update on the building progress, are most of the apart. occupied. High maint. fee alright..any other disadvantages.? Whats the parking situation...Is it nice place to live.?

Usually the apartment owners are members od the management company which would entitle you to see the accounts. Either way you could download he accounts from the companies office website.

On the €2K management fee, I would look at this as a positive on the basis that you know that you're neighbours also have to fork out a €2K management fee and would be more likely to take an interest in the general upkeep of the building. A €2K management fee would also be a disincentive for any anti-social types who were also interested in buying in the same building, which is also a danger when buying apartments that are falling in value

I don't think thats been the experience of many with management companies.

What often happens is that some don't pay then the management company stops doing anything.

Guys...lookin at purchasing in this development. Can ye give me update on the building progress, are most of the apart. occupied. High maint. fee alright..any other disadvantages.? Whats the parking situation...Is it nice place to live.?

I've put a deposit down pending contracts. I like the location right beside the phoenix park, proximity to the train station, size of the apartments and fittings are good quality. You get a designated car space in the underground carpark. The only disadvantage for me is the maintenance fee but I intend to get my solicitor to investigate this thoroughly.

* Location is good beside the park if you like that
* Nearest shops are ashtown or esso, might have a shop on site in next 6 months
* Designated parking with each apartment
* Close to train, again ashtown train seems closer, trains are packed by the time they get to station
* Traffic can be heavy, but it's resonibly close from town
* Nice size apartments and fit out

* Management fees too high
* Prices will continue to drop, they paid massive for the site and they need cash to meet loan repayments (maybe NAMA might give them a repreave), but they will build and sell houses, so price will come down more. 2 bed 200k a good buy, next summer I'd say.
* Building site for the next 5-10 years, at least due to size of site.

what do you think a solicitor can do about a management fee ?

Well I will get them to look at the accounts to see how the management co justify the price. If I go ahead with the purchase I will be a member of the management co and intend on speaking to other residents to try and agree a better price.

Thanks for the feedback guys..Yes i understand there is a high chance that the prices will come down next year but according to EA there is only 15 2beds left and 4 2bed duplex..Does this sound accurate.?and your risking the chance of not getting one by waiting. But as you say there will be the next phase..

Back