Phoenix Park Racecourse

Lappy

Hi all.. first post.

Put a booking deposit down on Thurs with Hooke for Phoenix Park Racecourse. Just waiting for all the solicitor docs to be sorted and pay the balance of deposit in a few weeks time.

I got a two bed 900 sq/ft ground floor with my girlfriend. The 1st and some 2nd floors were the same money as mine but were 750 sq/ft.

Anyone else bought there? Any thoughts good/bad?

Does the ground floor unit have a garden with it? How much are they going for? When do they expect the new train station to be built?

They all have pretty large balconies and from what I've seen, a table and chairs and those small 'designer trees' can fit in without a problem with plenty of room still left over. They have a lot of glass for the perimeter of the balcony as opposed to boring bricks also which creates more space.

Not sure about the train station's completion date, I have a car so the train wasn't a factor I thought too much about when choosing the development. I think less than two years though and as of the moment, the phase that is currently selling will not be ready until November 2006 anyway which will more than likely mean early 2007.

They start at 410k and go up to 490k ish. Not bad considering the size of them and the location close to the city centre.

Lappy said:
Hi all.. first post.

Put a booking deposit down on Thurs with Hooke for Phoenix Park Racecourse. Just waiting for all the solicitor docs to be sorted and pay the balance of deposit in a few weeks time.

I got a two bed 900 sq/ft ground floor with my girlfriend. The 1st and some 2nd floors were the same money as mine but were 750 sq/ft.

Anyone else bought there? Any thoughts good/bad?

I think you should hope that the train station better be built ASAP as the traffic is brutal getting in and out of Castleknock during peak hours. I am saying this because I live in Castleknock myself and I know myself how it is. Navan road is very bad and simply cannot cater for all the cars. If you try getting in to town ythrough Ph Pk, so far rthe traffic through the park is not that bad but I bet it will get bad and then again, once outside the park its hell. Loads of cars from Blanch, Tyrrelstown etc etcc all make their way into town through the park. I hope it gets better for you but we are moving out.

Lappy said:
They all have pretty large balconies and from what I've seen, a table and chairs and those small 'designer trees' can fit in without a problem with plenty of room still left over. They have a lot of glass for the perimeter of the balcony as opposed to boring bricks also which creates more space.

They start at 410k and go up to 490k ish. Not bad considering the size of them and the location close to the city centre.

Very good price considering the closeness to town.

Were you told anything about management fees?

€1400 per annum brodie.

regedit2 - you have me worried now.. I have a mate who grew up in Castleknock and she now lives in Kempton and says she can get in in 40 mins to be in work for 9am. I don't start work until 10 and finish at 4 so I may be ok.

At the moment, the only way out of the place is a left turn, up the Navan Rd. and then either through Castleknock into the park or around the roundabout and back down the Navan Rd., into town.

There is a flyover being built from the site over the Navan Rd. and back down and Hooke have *said* there's traffic lights going in on the Navan Rd. to enable a right turn from the Racecourse in the direction of town.

I'm just getting on the property ladder however, I don't expect my first place to have had everything perfect so I'm happy enough.

Hi Lappy,

Just spotted this thread, when you had responded to my post.

We live in Castleknock and you friend is right, its only 40-45mins each morning. I think If you live on the far side of Castleknock (The far side of the village/ Myos - and up towards Carpenterstown, Blanchardstown, Clonsilla), that's when you have the real problem. Castleknock (and down in the raccourse wont be a problem for traffic).

Unfortunately, if Hooke and Macdonald have told you that there will be a break in the median on the Navan Road, they may be telling a few fibs.
Flynn and O'Flaherty had sought planning permission to have a break in the centre "island" to allow a right turn out of the development but this was refused.

On a better note, the quality of these apartments really surpasses many others that I have seen, in fit out and in Size. (all apartments come with a beautiful granite worktop). The balaconies are somewhere btw 5-6ft wide.
I know they may look like an eye sore from the Navan Road a bit, but its makes up for that 4 fold- with the interior layout and finish.
We are really thrilled with ours.
L&R

MondayMorn said:
Hi Lappy,

Unfortunately, if Hooke and Macdonald have told you that there will be a break in the median on the Navan Road, they may be telling a few fibs.
L&R

Here's the interesting bit. H&McD told me the builders applied for the planning for a right turn and were refused and they said the builders changed something and had reapplied and they were confident that they would get it this time.

They also told me there would be a flyover from somewhere on the site across the Navan Rd., again, I don't know how reliable this info is.

It would help if they didn't have a plan to block off the site half-way through so as to stop people using the road through the development to get to the Navan Rd from just outside the Castleknock gate of the Phoenix Park.

It is unlikely they will get planning permission for the right turn. With regard to the flyover, it is just a bare faced lie from the builders to make things sound better for buyers. It sounds good but will be costly for the developer and they dont want the expense. So they will keep spinning the story. Also the council don't want it and would have insisted upon it at the outset if it was going to be an option. Its just a smokescreen.

Phoenix Park Racecourse to Dublin city centre can be done on the 37 / 39 Bus in less than 30 mins, and that's during rush hour! There is a great bus lane the full length of the Navan Road that allows unhindered progress as far as Cabra/N.C.R.

Also possible to cycle to Dub city centre in 20 mins at a leisurely pace on the great cycle lanes in the Park.

In short, it's an excellent location. I would be aprehensive about the size of the development but I guess we will be seeing more and more developments of this size now that we're over the 4 mill mark....

Turns out the builders are not claiming to be building a flyover at all.

The right turn will more than likely not be granted - F&O'F are paying for the train station though which takes 15 mins to Connolly I think.

It is going to be a large development but where my apartment is, those buildings are already standing and there is a HUGE area of open space behind the blocks being worked on now so the other end can do what they like as I don't see it bearing too much on the end of the development that I'm talking about.

The quality of the apartments is fantastic and it is so close to town that the size of it is not really an issue for me and my apartment has already increased in value by €20,000 since April and it won't be ready until Feb/March 07.

What is the density of those apartments. Do you know how many are to be built ?

There's over 2,300 homes going in but the whole site is just massive..

CelloPoint - I don't think anyone is claiming it's going to end anytime soon!

I'm 24 and a FTB so having somewhere to live is more important than how much the value of the place is going to sky rocket anyway.

I do think though that there's a certain safety net buying in a location like the PPR.

I do think though that there's a certain safety net buying in a location like the PPR.

1:
The racecourse were way over priced from the start.

2:
The sheer number of properties being built will mean that it will be extremely difficult to resell the property, as they will be selling the racecourse from the next 5 years+ and you will have to compete for buyers with new stamp duty exempt appartments and developmers who can drop the price and still make money.

Did you know that they are still selling the appartments in the college grounds. They couldn't sell them so they took them off the market and are now feeding them slowly back into the market to maintain the pricing levels.

3:
There are a hugh number of investors in the racecourse, who will also have more flexibilty when it comes to selling a property.

4:
I would certainly not call castleknock close to town, especially if you have to drive away from town first to get there.

All apartments in the phases sold out.. quickly.

I don't see how 415,000 is 'overpriced' when people are paying that to live in Stepaside and Bracken Hill and the like and there's no schools, no shops, no pubs and no public transport. Have you seen the interiors?

It takes me 23 mins to get from Ballsbridge to the PPR in a car when I need to, if that isn't close to town and beyond, I don't know what is. Not to mention the QBC AND the train.

Show me ANY apartment complex in Dublin that does not have investors.

Show me ANY apartment complex in Dublin of a large-ish size which does not have builders on the site for quite a few years to come... that's the way it is.

I don't want to live in Mullingar, I don't want to live in a part of Dublin with a load of people having their house paid for by Bertie, I don't want to live in Swords to have an extra bedroom and I don't want to live right in the middle of the city centre.. PPR suits me just fine!

Back