Newbury Wood, Clonshaugh, D.17

bottomfeeder

I have recently been offered a 3 bed house in Newbury Wood and have paid my deposit.

I am just wondering if anyone has any info regarding Newbury Wood i.e. is it a good location, would people recommend it, are the houses good quality.

I suppose im just a little bit apprehensive as im a first time buyer, if anyone has any info on the said topic I would be very grateful.

I was offered an AH unit there..went out to see the development. They seem like fine houses. However, I wasn't too taken with the development. It's on a tiny sliver of land with view of anything and there's an industrial estate right beside it. It seems a bit off the main road too. As far as I know Newbury Wood is being built for Dublin City Council just for Affordable Homes so I think this would have an effect on the re-sale value if you decided to move on in a while. For these reasons, I decided not to accept the offer.

I wouldn't like to put you off..but considering the importance of the decision I'd suggest you go see the development for yourself before commiting to it.

Just to add
I've taken a house in this development and have been to view showhouse paid deposit etc
Yes all of the development is affordable housing but I don't see how that would have any negative impact
The design and layout of the houses is excellent and the finish of a very high standard
I'm interested to hear of any other views but tbh am quite excited overall and believe it will be a well placed residential site
Nobody wants to live on a main road and it's still close enough to all major ammenities to be well located

I was offered a 2 bed here recently and am delighted. I'm from the general area and I can honestly say that it's a great place to live. I'm over the moon anyhow...can I ask u determined, when you say you've paid deposit etc, how did you do that? I only got offered before xmas so have sent my loan aprval into dcc etc and am just waiting to view ...got 100% loan aprval but will I still need to pay a deposit of sorts at this stage??? Thanks

Hi there
Can i just ask how long people are waiting on the DCC list

I was a year waiting to 'get on' the list, and almost 2yrs waiting to get something from the draw (was in three draws, and unsuccessful in first two...)

Hi, I've been offered a 2 bed house in Newbury Wood, has anyone seen them yet? If so what is the general layout/size of the house? Eg. is living room/kitchen combined etc. Thanks!

Hi I was offered one too and rang DCC yesterday about viewing...they said that they're arranging viewings for the 2beds at the end of this month...hth

The draw for the 3 beds was done first
I was told they did two draws one for the normal list and one for local residents on the list
I was invited to view and choose in early Dec deposit was paid to the builder directly on the day in question
Can't express strongly enough how good the finish is
The layout I think is different in the 2 bed but can't see how it could be any less in terms of planning and storage
All have downstairs wc (I think) and kitchen cabinets etc
I believe once the 2 bed selections are done at the end of this month we'll all be getting building contracts (so said the builder)
Completion depends on where you are on the street no's 1-60
first 20 due to be finished early May next 20 Mid May last 20 June (working down the street iykwim)
Oh and the fireplaces are fab
Oh Oh and the builders are Moston google them and you get a pic of the site a little pic :)
v v excited
Love to hear of any other "neighbour" stories

Hi, it sounds good! Do you know if for eg. the bathrooms or kitchen are tiled etc, can't get any info on finish or anything anywhere so any info you have is great!

Thanks

Tiling is done where needed splashbacks in kitchen were blue tiles !!!
Bathrooms all white tiling done above sinks approx 3 tiles high and full walls around the bath presumably where you would have a shower fitted
The space planning is ample and have found out since this is because they are providing for the need of poss wheelchair access so as to avoid having to pay out future grants
Suffice to say a wheelchair would have no prob navigating the downstairs

Thanks for your info Determined, do you rem if living room/kitchen are all one room or are they seperated? I take it appliances are not included? Thats prob a bit much to expect!!! Also, are both bedrooms double, enough space for bed, wardrobe etc, some apt's I've seen have had very small bedrooms. Wish they would give me a date to view :)

Must be remembered there are 4 different types of houses being built here
Larger 3 bed standard 3 bed
Larger 2 bed standard 2 bed
I was lucky enough to be drawn for the larger 3 bed so what comes as standard for me may not be the case for all
Last thing I want to do is dissapoint so for all I've seen
Kitchen is seperate to living room (more designed in mine to be living cum dining I think) My type is the wider type house so again layout may be diff but other houses are longer (ie go further back)
No appliances I wish but space left for fridge freezer hob and oven plumbed for dishwasher also small utility room plumbed for wash mach
Fire set for gas but gas fire not included
This bit I'm so happy about but not sure if it's standard in the rest but I have built in wardrobes in all bedrooms
One thing we'll all have to deal with is concrete floors upstairs and down so a lot of exp there
Gardens will all be seeded fencing between all done
Another thing which I'd guess is standard is the amount of storage areas eg seperate cloakroom (just needs a rail fitted) HUGE airing cupboard on upstairs landing utility room off kitchen
My daughter said it'll be great fun to play hide n seek in :)

Hi determined, do u mind me asking if you picked your own house, or was it allocated to you? I remember reading in the original brochure that some of the 2 beds (that I'm getting!) have gardens and some didn't...I really, really hope I get a garden and am just wondering how it works when you actually go onsite to see your house??? Thanks

They all have gardens as far as I can see Can't imagine how they'd have one without
When I was onsite we were in no 10 I think and got to look all around the house then Tom (builder) had a table with a large heatsealed aerial plan of the entire street
I was told by Tom on the phone prior to getting there that I had 3rd choice on House type B
There is I think 5/6 of house type B at the very top of the road and the same at the bottom Once the people who had 1st and 2nd choice had chosen then was my choice
Eeeny Meeny miny mo :) Such a happy day can't wait to hear your stories

Oh I drove up yesterday to have a look again and the 2 beds have no windows at the back upstairs instead they have skylights in the roof someone told me this works as it floods the upstairs with light
I think they will be fab and Ann I believe all have gardens
When I got the call in the beginning I headed into civic offices to look at the plans etc and having been on site ALL has changed from the original plans
Dying to hear when you all go on site

That sounds great about the garden! Don't like the sound of the skylight though! Sounds very peculiar! Although, to be honest, I'm just so happy to finally be getting my own place, that I don't really care if it has NO windows!!!
Thanks again for info determined - drove up myself yesterday and the development has really moved on since a few weeks back...will keep you posted once I get a look at my own house, which should be next week sometime!
Thanks again, ann

Hi, still haven't seen the house, but does anybody know what the clawback % is going to be or what DCC are stating as the market value? Or has anyone even got that far yet?

Ev1 no idea what the %clawback is just yet but I do know that DCC were valuing the properties as recently as last week
My mortgage is through DCC so they called me to explain the delay on my mortgage papers was because they were only getting around to the valuations
Isn't the clawback on a sliding scale the longer you stay in the house etc? not sure
I know some 2 bed selections are being done this weekend so stay close to the phone

Hi, the clawback is the same for the first 10 years and then decreases from whatever % it is set at from year 11 to zero % in year 20. I was told that I have 12th choice on the type C house, (2 bed), but haven't had an appt to view yet, I rang on Wed and they said prob be called to view this weekend or next, have had no call so it'll prob be next weekend now. (phone hasn't left me since I got the offer ha ha)

i have been up to the site twice since nov, i was picked for a type A house which is a 3 bed with fitted wardrobes, no flooring is provided but no electrical items, on the day i paid my deposit we actually viewed a type b (3 bed also but downstairs layout different) there is a bathroom upstairs and a large wheelchair accessable bathroom downstairs. there are no front gardens but a fairly good size back garden, storage for wheely bins and recycling units on the estate. the work seems to be coming along slowly, my house should be ready, mid may but realistically i don't think it will be ready until jully/Aug.

also bare in mind that although this site is currently a few mins off the main road, the are plans to knock down Northside shopping centre and rebuild it nearer newbury woods and turn the current site for northside/ liz delaney's aka 'the blacker' into a town centre with cinema plex, swimming pools, bars etc it could be a few years before this work begins but eventually it will happen.

Back