new tenants - late rent advice pls

Midsummer - Im fairly impressed with your patience in this situation - and I hope you get sorted. I dont think you are without flaws however. You seem like a first time landlord and are eager to learn how to do things the right way - which is good - but Im not sure its fair to "learn" on a tenant, even a bad one. It would have been nice if you had known all the right ways to handle tenants and got off on the right foot - but you didnt and you are learning as you go now. But that doesnt give you the right to get rid of a tenant so you can move onto the next one and do it right.

It takes 3 days for money to transfer from say boi to aib. So although i keep an eye on my accounts - I dont sweat a day or two. (lets face it, the tenant is never going to pay early!)
If i had to spend as much time thinking about my rental property as you seem to - then i would not be a landlord - its just isnt worth the stress or hassle.

I have never used an agency to rent a property although I have been approached by them every time I place an ad in the paper to rent. I recon it would be crazy to give them the work as they are only contacting me because they know how easy it is to rent out my area. The fact that your agency did not chase payment the first month (11 days late is a bit much) but I wonder if you had left it would the agency have EVER collected any money. It goes to show what other posters have said - do it yourself correctly from day one - and clearly spell out the rules to your tenant.

If an agency is not on top of your property - and they are the ONLY contact the tenant has with landlord - then it spells disaster for the tenants respect for the rules of the tenancy.

Hi - just a quick update - I was advised by a friend in the legal profession that I would be within my rights to evict based on the breach of the lease (and was advised to do so based on their behaviour). It would then be up to them to go to the PRTB within the timeframe and complain. However was also advised to be careful that the tenants could play dirty. They don't have any grounds and hopefully they're not that type. I'm willing to stand my ground if it comes to it anyway as I have nothing to hide !
Midsummer, I think you are the one with no grounds here. Are you trying to evict them based on the 3 day delay in paying the rent over the Christmas period? Since this has been resolved, what part of the lease are they currently in breach of?

I don't think it's a case of evicting without grounds, I think it's more a case of nipping a potential problem in the bud. If it can be done within the law then I think it's in midsummer's best interest. This forum is after all called Property Invesment.

As for the agent thing. We initially used a big agency. Big mistake. Since then we've used a single agent who left a big property company to go it alone. I met him through work (during our time with the agency) and he is a star. Charges less than the agency, vetts the tenants and we've never had a problem. He also manages the property and deals with any issues the tenants have, usually within 24 hours.

Since we employed this agent we have not spoken to or dealt with any tenants directly. We do have final say over who moves in but base our decision on the agent's recommendation. We've had no complaints from the neighbours about any tenant and the property is in better condition now than when we let it!

Midsummer - Im fairly impressed with your patience in this situation
Poster - I'm happy you're impressed. :rolleyes: No I was not using the tenants as a learning experience and from my own profession I knew exactly what I was getting into with the agency. Yes they did chase on time and it took that long for them to pay. I would hope you wouldn't think this is acceptable - I don't and therefore would prefer that they paid on time or found somewhere else. I don't think this is unreasonable. Yes I know how to handle them "nicely".

Afuera - it hasn't been resolved - they are in breach of the lease twice and therefore there are grounds - PM me if you want further details but I have this on good authoritry.

Sheshells - thanks for your support.

All posters - thanks for your interest and the various positive posts. I won't be posting again on the topic but thanks to everyone who had constructive advice to give a fellow landlord.

Afuera - it hasn't been resolved - they are in breach of the lease twice and therefore there are grounds - PM me if you want further details but I have this on good authoritry.
Midsummer, for your sake I hope the advice you are getting is accurate. Trying to illegally evict the tenants would certainly not help in this situation. Since they do not seem to be altogether happy with the apartment, maybe you could offer them the option of terminating the lease with no penalty and see if that solves the problem for you? I would be interested to hear how you get on with whatever action you decide.

Having had bad landlords and tenants you just live and learn, its not nice dealing with either. After last time a friend had bad tenants 2yrs later bills are still arriving for them! Loan sharks etc only when they left did he realise the neighbours were being terroised nightly. He didnt read the signs. Get out while the damage is minimal. There are lovely tenants and v. nice landlords out there you just have to find them and if you can wait for them for peace of mind it will be worth the wait.

J

Back