Lucan - opinions?

Elitist said:
I am not from Dublin and bought in Lucan, a few years back and sold not long thereafter. I now live in a wonderful mature area, with lovely neighbours, strong sense of civic pride- snobs basically!:)

There are lovely people in Lucan but there is not the infrastructure to support them. The house prices there historically has reflected that.

FTBs move in, stay a few years and move on- I know of four other couples who have done so.

In relation to community pride- our estate was not taken in charge for 12 months and was overgrown with weeds.
I, Elitist with the wisdom imparted to me by "Selling Houses etc" took spade to hand to sell the dream to my future buyers!

P.S A dead cat lay outside Foxborough shop for a week

Elitist in 'How it Was' mode

I think it is well accepted that Foxborough is not the nicest part of Lucan, in fact I believe it was really a Clondalkin address until someone decided to put it into Lucan. Not that that means much, my point is thats is mostly rented out, doesnt have many established estates and therefore doesnt look too well looked after.

I am sure everyone has their own experiences. You seemed to have had a bad one.

So where is this "wonderful mature area"?

I see from my home.ie that there are a good few houses for sale in Castle Riada. This is probably what buyers have been waiting for for a while, Supply. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I think these houses have are in St Marys Parish and have access to the better schools in Lucan. However, there seems to be a mini exodus at the moment in Lucan as paretns can't seem to get places for their children in schools of their choice. This is also the case in D15 (Ongar, Clonee).

Castle Riada is in Lucan South Parish not St. Marys I'm afraid.

Also, Elitist, community spirit, civic pride etc. includes you. What did you do in the Foxborugh area when there to improve things?

Infrastructure in the country as a whole (hole?) is below par. Them likes of Lucan south of the N4 and Tyrellstown, Ongar etc. all suffer from the same probs.

I agree with you on restaurants BTW. Leixlip House is v. good and not too far away though.

N.

The problem with people living in Lucan is that everybody thinks that their estate is lovely and that the renters are in someone elses Estate. (everybody is out of step, except my Johnny)

I live in Liffey Valley Park, and while there are rented properties, the comment above that the area looks run down most of the properties are rented out is just not true.

The fact is that all of the Estates (apart from the village itself) have a significant number of rented properties. I have looked at properties in some of the following areas (Finnstown, Grange Manor, Grifeen, Rosberry, Hillcrest, Esker Meadows, Cannonbrook........the list goes on an on.....) and all of these had a noticible level of rented properties. That is not to say that these areas are good, bad or indifferent, its just that somtimes people can see the renters in someone elses estate, just not in theirs.

My sentiments in relation to Elitists comments would echo Redo's to a T.

Whoever said that there is no teenagers hanging around the area has obviously not been down to the shops at Eurospar recently!!

That said, Lucan has a lot going for it, its no better and no worse than anywhere else!

Steelblue05- I don't want to come across facetious with my remark about the other 20k drivers. You will notice the difference if and when you do move that life becomes easier in relation to doing simple things.

Can I not say where I live please?(-;

Noobie- I did not live in Foxborough, nor did I have any cat disposal facility- I did mention that I cleaned up my road of weeds to sell.
I also stopped my car on numerous occasions to pick up litter.

I am planning to buy a house in cannonbrook avenue. please let me know whether it is safe place and how is the school which is near the estate.

My sister currently rents in Lucan, and she has only got good things to say about the place

i think its a good judge of an area on how friendly the residents to lets say temporary dwellers people who have no ties with the place

when she is washing her car - the neighbours maybe nosy but i think its nice are out giving her advice on what to use to wash the car !

she got a local taxi driver who had to advise her where was the best place to get cheap car parts to do a service on her car and she checked up on it and it was as true to his word

my sis is close enouogh to the little shopping center area near her - i forget the name of the shop area but superquinn is there

and there is a Spar opened up near her. also is it the carlton that has the hotel close by as well +gym

If relative re school places i'd double check on the proximiity of schools in the area and although u might have no interest now its a good idea to think long term

To be honest i'm always sceptical of dublin maybe its because i'm from the country, but i'm currently located in a munster city suburb and have lived in an estate with the last year - and theneighbours to say the least are'nt eexactly the most friendly of people -
they certainly would'nt be giving u advice

Lucan seems reasonable enough too houseprice wise
As regards driving - she collected me from heusten station and it was quick enough to her house -
Driving we wont be able to escape traffic queues

The traffic will break your heart. I rented there for a long time and it completely wrecked my head. Buses are also pretty poor, as already mentioned. The M50/N4 roundabout upheaval has helped (I think - I don't live there anymore) but it seems to have moved the traffic build up to the other end of the Chapelizod bypass - near Kilmainham.

Think long and hard before you buy... but good luck!!

I am planning to buy a house in cannonbrook avenue. please let me know whether it is safe place and how is the school which is near the estate.

I am not a resident of the above estate, but it is a safe area and the school is right beside the estate. St. Thomas (national school) St. Annes (primary school) and the Community College (Secondary school) are all within 30 seconds of each other.

currently looking at buying a house in Rossberry in Lucan. anyone any thoughts on this area or what schools are in this area......thanks

I moved to Lucan 3 months ago and I really love it. I am originally from Templeogue and lived in Clonee for a year before I moved to Lucan so it was a new area to me. I think it is a great place to live. The traffic is no worse than my previous addresses but the bus service is definitely better. I have not once gone to the bus stop after work when there isn't a bus waiting there. They are so regular, every ten minutes at peak times. I think when buying in Lucan St. Marys and Esker Parish are definitely the best areas but there are certainly some lovely estates outside of these Parish's. My neighbours could not be nicer and there is a huge sense of community spirit where I live. There is fantastic value to be had in Lucan at the moment which should be taken advantage of in my opinion.

Lived in that part of Lucan for the past 7 years. Rossberry is a good spot. Nearly bought a house there last year but decided to purchase in Grange Manor instead. You'll be in the parish of Lucan South so your school options are:
(1) Archbishop Ryan National School
(2) Gaelscoil Eiscir Riada
(3) Griffeen Valley Educate Together

Places were at a premium a few years back but not sure of the current situation. Give them a call if you need more info.

Kishogue train station will be very close to you when it is built as part of the Kildare Route Project.

There are loads of posts on Lucan in this forum. Do a search.

To follow on from your query Lisie, I have never heard anything bad about Cannonbrook so that would lead me to believe that it is a nice quiet estate.

[/quote]
Can I not say where I live please?(-;

Seeing that you have a fairly negative opinion of Lucan, I for one would like to know where you moved to!

You say you now live "in a wonderful mature area, with lovely neighbours, strong sense of civic pride- snobs basically".

Pray tell us where such a place exists?!

Had a look at other posts but can't really find anything on schools in the lucan area. Anyone any thoughts on the following schools;
(1) Archbishop Ryan National School
(2) Gaelscoil Eiscir Riada
(3) Griffeen Valley Educate Together

Hi Liffey,

Just to let you know that Archbishop Ryan National School is in Balgaddy

Back