Lucan - opinions?

L

laura26

I am looking into buying a house in Lucan, but i dont know much about the area. Does anyone have any tips on which areas are nice? or are there any in particular to avoid?

also any views on travel between there and town? i heard its bad by car but fine by bus, 40mins?

grateful for any info or insights anyone has to offer!

Hi, i did but some of them are quite old and i hear that the traffic has got considerably worse recently and what with Adamstown coming up i wasnt sure if this would make it even worse again..

There are plenty of nice parts of Lucan.

The Finnstown end of it and from there half way to the Penny Hill are the best parts from my experience.

However.........

The traffic is a NIGHTMARE! Even the buses sit for up to 20/30 minutes on the road from the Penny Hill to Woodies and then of course you have the Lucan Rd itself.

Coming home from town, one of the most direct routes is through the Chapelizod bypass/Palmerstown bypass and it will break your heart somedays.

A house in Lucan was well within my budget and gave me the chance of getting a house over an apartment closer to town and I went for the apartment.

laura26 said:
I am looking into buying a house in Lucan, but i dont know much about the area. Does anyone have any tips on which areas are nice? or are there any in particular to avoid?

also any views on travel between there and town? i heard its bad by car but fine by bus, 40mins?

grateful for any info or insights anyone has to offer!

Any of the estates in St Marys parish or Esker parish I think it is are nice. Personally I would avoid the likes of Liffey Park as they are mostly rented out and the estate doesnt seem that well kept. There are no estates to avoid as such that I know of.

The traffic has got worse in the last 2 or 3 weeks, I think it must be because few people take holidays in May. At least the summer months will make the traffic lighter. Hopefully when they are finished upgrading the road between Penny Hill and Woodies to 4 lanes then that will help things. Having said that where is the traffic not a problem at rush hour in Dublin?

Normally the drive from Lucan into Baggot st takes me 55-60mins, but this has been up to 70-80mins in the last 2 or 3 weeks. The prices around Lucan have really shot up in the last 12 months, the demand is as high as ever.

thanks for the info guys, but one thing, people keep mentioning the Penny Hill to Woodies road, can anyone tell me what road that is so i can find it on a map? I am thinking of buying in the village so i would be getting the 67 into town, what is that route like?

I am getting the idea that the traffic is bad if you live south of the by-pass and have to travel through all the estates but would be ok if you lived in the village? or am i completely wrong?!

laura26 said:
thanks for the info guys, but one thing, people keep mentioning the Penny Hill to Woodies road, can anyone tell me what road that is so i can find it on a map? I am thinking of buying in the village so i would be getting the 67 into town, what is that route like?

I am getting the idea that the traffic is bad if you live south of the by-pass and have to travel through all the estates but would be ok if you lived in the village? or am i completely wrong?!

Well, I am not too sure what the traffic is like in the Village istelf but either way you will have to join the N4 which is slow up to the M50 round about. The N4 does have a bus lane so may not be too bad. The buses are usually packed in the morning so you may be standing.

The Penny Hill to Woodies road is part of the outer ring road that joins up with the N7. Do you know Woodies on the N4 just near Lucan? The road works there as part of the upgrade has slowed things down, but it should be a temporary thing.

Hi there,
Have lived in Lucan all my life. Would reccomend it!
There are no "bad areas" but some of the new estates are a bit rougher then "old lucan".
St. Marys & Esker parishes are both really nice.
Theres plenty of shops, cafes, pubs, schools. The village is lovely.
It only takes 20 mins to drive into town at non peak time, in the mornings & evenings it depends on what time you're leaving at really. Before 8 & it will take 40mins, after that it could be over an hour, same applies for the evening.
Good luck wit it!
Any specific questions feel free to ask!

laura26 said:
thanks for the info guys, but one thing, people keep mentioning the Penny Hill to Woodies road, can anyone tell me what road that is so i can find it on a map?

It's called the Ballyowen Rd.

http://maps.google.com/?ll=53.352729,-6.423912&spn=0.014242,0.029612&om=0

laura26 said:
I am thinking of buying in the village so i would be getting the 67 into town, what is that route like?

Buses available through the village are 25, 66/A/B, 67/A. All are pretty infrequent, with maybe 2 an hour, but between them you should get a relatively decent service.

Hi,

Lived in Castle Riada for 4 years. Really nice quiet area.

I'd avoid out around the east and south of the penny hill (basically east of the new dual-carriageway).

Traffic is a problem everywhere in this country and Lucan is no better. Doesn;t matter if you're in the Village or not. Woodies Junction is crap btw 7.30 am and 7.30 pm generally and the bridge in the village is much the same as is the newcastle (Superquinn) junction. The two junctions are due for upgrades as is the N4/M50 disaster.

Living south of the N4 affords the opp. of avoiding the N4 and M50 for getting to the N7 if thats of help but means you have to hit the village snare up of Toll bridge if you want to get to the Navan road.

Liffey Valley is best accessed via the newlands road.

Good bang for your buck in the area despite recent price rises.

Best of Luck,

N.

Lived in Lucan for 5 yrs,very near penny hill..moved out 3 years ago...mainly because of the traffic situation.Moved near ongar village D15,was bringing child for school into lucan for a few months ,the village was quite bad.There is a bus lane there now,so i would imagine the bus does not take half as long as the car.
Otherwise,found the area very nice,convienient and quiet.
Hope this helps a bit!

Just on the subject of traffic - does anyone know when the Ballyowen Road upgrade is due to be finished? I am moving to Mount Andrew this summer and am just wondering what it will be like for bringing dd to school at St.Andrews in the village. She isn't due to go to school for another while though so I'm hoping the road will be finished by then.....

Hi

I have lived in Lucan for four and a half years. Lucan itself is lovely, people are really friendly and there is a really nice community spirit. I myself am in Hillcrest which is a nice mature older estate close to all express buses and only 8 minutes walk to the village. The commute can take from 40 minutes to an hour to St Stephens Green! Hope that will get even better with new train Station at Adamstown towards end of the year!

A myriad of nondescript estates. No amenities, no infrastructure.
The only positive is there are very little teenagers

Elitist said:
A myriad of nondescript estates. No amenities, no infrastructure.

Do you mean Dublin in general? :)

Anyways I disagree....
My estate is very nice, I have a park just beside it, a GYM, a shopping centre at SuperQuinn and Liffery Valley (cinema etc), football clubs, soccer clubs, bar rush hour easy access to N4 and N7, train station on the way, its on a NiteLink route, Lucan Village itself and its shops and pubs.

What are you missing?

SteelBlue05 said:

No Lucan

Transient population.
No sense of community.
People don't stay for long
No restaurants.
Problems with school places.

Do you drive to the GYM bars and shops, with the other 20,000?

Elitist said:
The only positive is there are very little teenagers
This will change very soon. say in 5-10 years. The place (street corners) will be falling down with them.

To answer the posters questions, IF I had a choice of estates I would probably put Foxbrough and Earlsfort below other choices.

Elitist said:
Transient population. - YES
No sense of community. - NO
People don't stay for long - YES
No restaurants. -NO
Problems with school places. BIG YES

Elitist said:
SteelBlue05 said:

No Lucan

Transient population.
No sense of community.
People don't stay for long
No restaurants.
Problems with school places.

Do you drive to the GYM bars and shops, with the other 20,000?

Well, I also drive to work with the other 1,200,000 people in Dublin.

Where do you live Elitist?

I am not from Dublin and bought in Lucan, a few years back and sold not long thereafter. I now live in a wonderful mature area, with lovely neighbours, strong sense of civic pride- snobs basically!:)

There are lovely people in Lucan but there is not the infrastructure to support them. The house prices there historically has reflected that.

FTBs move in, stay a few years and move on- I know of four other couples who have done so.

In relation to community pride- our estate was not taken in charge for 12 months and was overgrown with weeds.
I, Elitist with the wisdom imparted to me by "Selling Houses etc" took spade to hand to sell the dream to my future buyers!

P.S A dead cat lay outside Foxborough shop for a week

Elitist in 'How it Was' mode

Back