Lisbon defeated what happens next ?

I thought we lived in a democratic country?
yes i taught we lived in a democratic country too...but it seems its only democratic as long as you vote the way the government want us to vote..otherwise it toys out of the pramb!
some democaricy

yes i taught we lived in a democratic country too...but it seems its only democratic as long as you vote the way the government want us to vote..otherwise it toys out of the pramb!
some democaricy

What's the problem with voting on the same thing twice?
Eventually the fools on the "No" side might see sense. ;)

We have seen sense that's why we voted against it in the first place and we won :cool:

I know people who voted for it because SF were opposed to it now they were fools ;)

Now if the twats on the Yes side would respect the democratic vote it would be even better....:p

Just on a side issue, why do we all know more than the politicians? Why do the majority of them want a yes yet the majority of us want a no? You would think that they are more clued in than us and should know whats better for the country than we do
Good point (maybe they do!).

Maybe you could including thinking for oneself?

My signature comes from the list of “You cannot” quotes which are usually attributed to Abraham Lincoln but which are also attributed to the Rev. William J. H. Boetcker who lived some time later.

The full list is:
You cannot bring prosperity by discouraging thrift.
You cannot help small men by tearing down big men.
You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong.
You cannot lift the wage earner by pulling down the wage payer.
You cannot help the poor man by destroying the rich.
You cannot keep out of trouble by spending more than your income.
You cannot further brotherhood of men by inciting class hatred.
You cannot establish security on borrowed money.
You cannot build character and courage by taking away man's initiative and independence.
You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves.

As you can see they are all about thinking for yourself and being responsible for yourself.

the fools on the"No"side account for the majority of irish voters.......so what dose that make you lot? The fools in the minority

My signature comes from the list of “You cannot” quotes which are usually attributed to Abraham Lincoln but which are also attributed to the Rev. William J. H. Boetcker who lived some time later.

The full list is:
You cannot build character and courage by taking away man's initiative and independence.
You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves.

As you can see they are all about thinking for yourself and being responsible for yourself.

Maybe you could live by those maxims and think for yourself is my point

I've always wondered where you got the signature from.

Sounds like a good way to think.

Maybe you could live by those maxims and think for yourself is my point
I do think for myself. That's why I don't swallow Goebbels-like propaganda designed to play on the fears of average citizens peddled by military contractors, isolationists with a private army and right-wing religious fundamentalists.

I do think for myself. That's why I don't swallow Goebbels-like propaganda designed to play on the fears of average citizens peddled by military contractors, isolationists with a private army and right-wing religious fundamentalists.
:D funny 'cause it's true.

How can you reason with people who "know more" about Corporation tax than ISME, abortion than the Catholic church and Irish Neutrality than the Irish government ?

The NO side are in for a tough lesson on European realpolitik.

That's me done in this thread.

:D funny 'cause it's true.

Maybe you could follow Purples example about thinking for himself and start thinking for yourself instead of using other peoples quotes in a debate. Who said it by the way? I know I read it in a paper but I can't for the life of me remember who it was. Thought it was a pretty good line.

. . Goebbels-like propaganda designed to play on the fears of average citizens peddled by military contractors, isolationists with a private army and right-wing religious fundamentalists.
This is vitriolic conjecture, unbecoming of a hitherto venerable poster.

The issues were aired, the people decided, it's time that the Yes proponents accepted same.

This is vitriolic conjecture, unbecoming of a hitherto venerable poster.

The issues were aired, the people decided, it's time that the Yes proponents accepted same.
Many of the issues aired (abortion, gay adoption, corporation tax etc) have nothing to do with Lisbon. Others, such as the loss of our commissioner for part of the time, had been decided before hand and Lisbon simply presented a mechanism to implement that decision. So most of the arguments against Lisbon were, to say the least, erroneous. The afore-mentioned Joe Goebbels wrote the book (so to speak) on this sort of popular campaign.

In the interest of the country letting the negative consequences of the no vote play out isn't an option. The Government have to go the far more difficult course of turning around the referendum result to what's in the country's interests before the people have to suffer the consequences of their actions.

Maybe you could follow Purples example about thinking for himself and start thinking for yourself instead of using other peoples quotes in a debate.
Using other people's quotes? I'm agreeing with his position! You'd think you'd have figured out how these discussion boards work by now

Last edited:
Many of the issues aired (abortion, gay adoption, corporation tax etc) have nothing to do with Lisbon. Others, such as the loss of our commissioner for part of the time, had been decided before hand and Lisbon simply presented a mechanism to implement that decision. So most of the arguments against Lisbon were, to say the least, erroneous.

I think that much has been made of the various issues but it'll be interesting to learn on how much impact they actually had on the no vote.

Many of the issues aired (abortion, gay adoption, corporation tax etc) have nothing to do with Lisbon. Others, such as the loss of our commissioner for part of the time, had been decided before hand and Lisbon simply presented a mechanism to implement that decision. So most of the arguments against Lisbon were, to say the least, erroneous. The afore-mentioned Joe Goebbels wrote the book (so to speak) on this sort of popular campaign.

Back to that rubbish again. I actaully thought the debate was moving forward.

Back to that rubbish again. I actaully thought the debate was moving forward.
You may learn that ignoring reality doesn't change it. You have my sympathies that reality doesn't fit your views.
The “what next” is to try to present the facts and reality to the public and not let disingenuous spin peddled by those with, as Garrett Fitzgerald would say, a flawed pedigree, cloud the truth.

Back