Kilbrack grove - Cork

simo1234

Anybody have any news on this estate? i have been told the letters will go out in Febuary.

Simo.

Hi Simo,

I haven't heard anything about the estate itself but I rang on Tuesday and was told that the letters would go out towards the end of January. The city seem very reluctant to give much away but he did say that they'd send letters whether you're being offered or not, which is more than the county does. They wouldn't tell me anything specific about the houses, though. With the whole estate being affordable it seems impossible to get much information about them.

Liz.

Hey Liz, I went to check them out the other day and they look good quality, although the gardens may be a bit small for some people, depends on your preference really. There seems to be sky lights in all of them so maybe a loft coversion room also? There is no road through yet and no turf or anything laid in the gardens.

A friend of mine rang the council and they said that they sent out around 900 letters for this estate!! when i first applied for htis in July last year the whole list for the city was 1,300. I guess you can take a good few applicants out of it htough, people who have been made rdundant, bought in the mean time, cant affords it ect ect, but id stil lsay we are looking at around 250 / 450 at least looking for 37 houses.

Trying not to ponder on it to much as wrecks your head!! ill hang 5 on buying the golf clubs just yet!!

900???! Yeah... I'll try not think about that too much! I'm giving them until the start of February and then I'll ring again. Still, I didn't get something with the county so I'm afraid to hold out too much hope with the city, unless they do things drastically differently. They do look like nice houses. Here's hoping they don't suit 863 other people!

Hahahahahahhaha....dunno how they decide the points ect ect. I received some inheritance last year and when i applied in July last year they made an offer on shanakiel within 6 weeks. I would have accepted but had heard about this scheme and declined and told them i was hanging on to see if i got one of these.

I would say they cant price them much more than 230,000 for a 3 bed, the prices have dropped nationwide and they are supposed to be affordable regardless of the area.

They dont give much away though, like when you ring you feel like your being stup[id by asking questions!!

As for the county, i applied and sent a copy of a loan approval, they replied saying they couldnt see the banks name on the approval and needed another one, went to Ulster Bank then who said the ywont provide an approval form until i have an offer!! UB hav also tightened the belt on loans, they made me an offer based on my salary an savings, my wages have increased by 1k and they say that it will be the same if not less.

First Active on the other hand were really felxible about the amount, the type of loan too. UB tied my original offer in on a tracker rate, 3% above ECB, worked out around 6.5% at the time!! might as well gone sub Prime altogether hey!!!

Been looking at the houses again on Skehard, they have kitchen units ( well could see cupboards ) and tiles around them, also were off cuts of carpet in the back garden so they may well not be the shell that i was certainly expecting.

Spoke to the council yesterday, still no price agreed on the houses and hence no letters sent out, but they said letters will be out in the next couple of weeks.

Hey Simo,

I heard today that the letters aren't going out now until March. *sigh*

Hey Liz..Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr that sucks!! not supprised though. I can handle the wait but the lack of info is annoying. Also rang First Active today, in Novemebr they were chucking me around 200K for a loan, down to 141K now!! prob as RBS are in trouble in the UK.
I emailed the council today and asked directly if there were any details available and they just replied saying no news yet...i got a list of mortgage providers we can use so need to try EBS, Bank of Ireland And Haven so hopefully they will offer more. The EBS have just put 150 Million aside for AH loans so will ring a few tomorrow.

Simo.

Hi Everyone, I spoke to the Council yesterday and it’s going to be May (at least) before the builders sign off on the houses in Kilbrack Grove. And after being on the list nearly 3 years and with €235k available they still don’t think my application “looks too good”. So much for “Affordable”!
AMC

May? *sigh* I really thought it would be March. It's interesting that they told you about your application because they usually don't. How disheartening, though. You'd wonder what kind of price they're anticipating putting on them. I might give them a ring and see what information I can get out of them but it sounds like I'd be in a similar boat to yourself.

Thanks for letting us know!

Hi, jeez this is a suprrise!!! im similar really, 230K would be my limit...affordable? well if there more than 230K i dont see how they can be.

You can get a new house in ballincollig on the old quater through sherry fitzgerald, there marked up at 250K, before i even started negotiating they said they can sell them for 225K, very bad build though, looked at one yesterday!!

Just spoke to the council today about this estate. The prices are 200K for a 2bed and 220k / 225K for a 3bed.
All people who are being offered one should know by the end of the week by letter.

I was told a while ago that they were doing this on a draw basis, not sure if that has happened or not.

Simo.

Hi again Simo.

I heard today alright that they were given out. That's a bit more hopeful, though, if all the letters haven't been received yet because I sure didn't get one! I was going to ring them tomorrow because I didn't have my reference number with me at work today. I was talking to them a few weeks back and they said it would be at least May, more likely June (obviously not!) but that it would probably be a draw in the end because of the interest. Apparently the 2-beds are tiny but then, most new houses tend to be. I don't know what to think of the price.

Yeah most 2beds these days are small enough i guess. Id say they have posted them yeserday or today even, i was offered a house in Shanakiel last August and the letter arrived on a Thursday.

Im not sure which houses are the 2 beds, there is a row of semis / Terraced at the side where you drive up to the Blackrock Inn, its hard to tell which are which.

I think they all have sky lights in the m though so even if you have a 2 bed there might be room in the loft for another room.

Sit and wait time i guess!!!

I am one of the lucky ones. I got my registered letter last Monday 6th April. I’ve been offered a 2 bed mid terrace for 200K. The estate consists of 2 bed terrace, 3 bed terrace & 3 bed semi-ds. The 2 & 3 bed terrace houses are the same except the 3rd bedroom is in the attic. The houses that are visible through Kilbrack Lawn are the 2 bed terrace and the 3 bed terraces are left of them (ie the ones with the skylights). The semi-ds are over on the far left. The big building on the right is sheltered accommodation. The builders haven’t signed off on the estate yet so we can’t get in to look. I expect it’ll be another month or two at least before they hand it over to the council. And even then if I’m in before Christmas I’ll be surprised and very happy. It’s been a long process but I’m delighted I couldn’t have asked for a more perfect location. Hopefully you’ll both be receiving letters too.

Congrats, AMC-Lady! You must be thrilled!

They wouldn't talk to me today (kept saying they'd ring me back) so I reckon the letters are all gone out, though I'm still holding on to a little bit of hope. Anyway, I was told a bit back that the builders said they'd sign off on it around May/June and that realistically that meant at least June. Still, it won't be as bad for you waiting on that when you know you have a place. Enjoy your new home :)

Hi AMC, well done, sure you will be well happy there.

Hey Liz, yeah im still hanging on a small bit of hope, only because they said probably by the end of the week, but hearing that letters have been recieved already im not so sure at this stage. See what the post man brings today or tomorrow, failing that, Plan B, whatever that is!!!

Simo

It turns out all the letters have gone out. The closing date is tomorrow for people to accept. There is a reserve list but I have no idea if that's everyone who didn't get it first time or if it's just a few. I was told I was on the reserve list so I'll wait a few weeks but after that I'd say it's the open market for me!

Hey Liz.
The way that the council have handled the whole thing was a bit of a shambles, i was told on tuesday this week the letters will be out this week and that was that, not you have until the end of this week to decide.
Just getting any information from them at all has been a nightmare from the word go.
Im not aware of any other developments going at the minute that i would be interested in so ill be going on tothe open market id say.

Simo

Hi, I actually got an offer for one of the 3 bed 3 storey houses but having spoken to one of the builders on site it looks like the council should not have sent the letters out so early as they will not let u on site to see them until June. They expect u 2 pay the deposit by tomorrow along with all ur solicitor details without even having looked at the properties. I cannot commit to it without seeing it myself. I think a few people might feel like this so u could be lucky on the reserve list. I did not see them myself but a colleague of mine was able to view them the day the letters came out and was concerned that the 3 beds seemed really small and very dark - even though it was the middle of the day and the sun was shining - doesnt seem to be much light in some of them. as there is no hallway, just immediate entrance into the living room u have to go through the living room to access the kitchen. U will never be able to mount the stairs day or night without having a light on. €220k might be cheaper than buying privately but is still a lot of money. we r going to reject them as have been looking around privately and there are a lot of good properties that can be negotiated with builders etc..... it is a buyers market. Like yourselves we have waited a long time and had been so excited about the prospect of being offered one of these properties as it it such a great area it has been a bit of a disappointment overall. having said that, spoke to some1 else who had seen the 2 bedrooms and said they looked nice.

Back