Ireland Vs France-The French Goal!!

Even if that goal had been disallowed,we would probably still have lost.

No offence but this is bull**** - why would we probably still have lost - we were every bit as good as France last night and actually created more chances than they did.

No offence but this is bull**** - why would we probably still have lost - we were every bit as good as France last night and actually created more chances than they did.

Because it would have gone to penalties and if you were to pick 5 players from each team, who would you fancy?

I wouldn't call what Henry did cheating.

Why not though?

One handball - instinctive/deflection/accidental etc - fair enough it happens, but to handle it twice, and the second time to basically use it to control the ball, steadying it so he could tap it on?!?!

I'm not even into football (or any sport) but I can't see how that could ever be considered to be not cheating.

I dont agree that the ref was corrupt. He had opportunities to give a penalty earlier if he was.
I think that he was not up with the game and the linesman was unsighted.
Its no consolation and a terrible injustice but it does show the problem of not taking your chances. Duff and Keane had chances to put Ireland 2 nil up and didnt take them.

No-one can say who would or would not have gone through last night so to suggest that we probably would have lost anyway is quite frankly ridiculous.

Why not though?

One handball - instinctive/deflection/accidental etc - fair enough it happens, but to handle it twice, and the second time to basically use it to control the ball, steadying it so he could tap it in?!?!

I'm not even into football (or any sport) but I can't see how that could ever be considered to be not cheating.

Because it was instinctive. Anyone who has played football has done something similar at some stage. Robbie Keane got done about 5 times last night for hand ball but no-one accuses him of cheating. It was a shocking referee decision.

No-one can say who would or would not have gone through last night so to suggest that we probably would have lost anyway is quite frankly ridiculous.

So is saying that Henry cost us our world cup spot.

Gillette, The best a cheat can get.

I'm not buying Gillette any more or French produce or going to France.

That's my protest :)

Because it was instinctive. Anyone who has played football has done something similar at some stage. Robbie Keane got done about 5 times last night for hand ball but no-one accuses him of cheating. It was a shocking referee decision.

Robbie was seen handling every time

Whether the ref saw it or not, Henry knows that he cheated. He could have said it to the ref. The fact that he didn't makes him a cheat. He is obviously happy to go to the World Cup even if it means cheating to get there.

Sunny, it was cheating. I know what your saying, and that can happen, hand comes up, instinct. Doesn't hide the fact it was cheating.

And he should have been penailised. Keane did, and we didn't benifit by cheating. France got a goal out of it.

Out of protest against the French, I am never buying a Reno Clio. And as for that Swedish Ref! Well, I'm boycotting the Mamma Mia DVD. Other Half will never get me to watch it now.

out of protest against the french, i am never buying a reno clio. And as for that swedish ref! Well, i'm boycotting the mamma mia dvd. Other half will never get me to watch it now.

lol.

On the question of was it cheating?; it was cheating. He deliberately handled the ball. It was cheating.

I referee games, and I think it is very difficult to get all of the decisions correct. Sometimes it is difficult to see what happens because it happens so fast, or because like last night the referee was blind sighted to the handball. Henry concealed the hand ball as best as he could be keeping his hand down to waist height and by adjusting the position of his body the way he did. And okay the linesman should have seen it, but………..referees and linemen sometimes get decisions wrong. Other sports acknowledge that, and help them, by using video evidence. But football has not done that.

That incident last night was a monumental one. That goal should not have stood. It was cheating. It was despicable. I know that in the past games have been decided on incorrect decisions, i.e. a penalty not given, or an offside goal being allowed to stand. But the incident last night is much worst than most other controversial incidents. That is because (a) it was blatant cheating that (b) put Ireland out of the World Cup (c) after the team had done so well and (d) there is still time and opportunity to give Ireland fair play should FIFA so wish to do so.

I just think that the performance in Paris last night was a prime example of what the Irish soccer team did so well in the past in their most memorable games. They took on a team that had are ranked higher in football rankings, and deserved to win (1-0) on the night. They defied the odds. Many of the pundits thought they couldn’t do that. But they did. And it was brilliant to see. But now FIFA are going to stand by and allow this sporting injustice. Sacre bleu!

If anyone thinks that the handball was bad, they should listen to the interview that Ivan Yates had with the referee on Newstalk just before 9.00am this morning. Talk about deliberate insults!:mad:

If anyone thinks that the handball was bad, they should listen to the interview that Ivan Yates had with the referee on Newstalk just before 9.00am this morning. Talk about deliberate insults!:mad:

Did he really interview him? What did he say?

The balls in FIFAs court on this one. In most sports, if someone did what Henry did, they'd get a career ending suspension from the sport. Lets see what FIFA does about this.

On Henry, he cheated. I'd like to think that a lot of players would have given up on the ball and let it roll out once they'd handled it in the manner Henry did. The fact that he controlled it and passed it across shows he made a conscious decision to cheat.

On the referree/linesman. They need to be taken off the FIFA list. The most important job that any match official has is to get the scores correct - you have to get the right winner - this is why the game is played. You could get every decision right during a game, but if you mess up on a score, you're not up to the job.

Good on you Dermot Ahern!!! Good on you Liam Brady!!! (The following is an extract from today’s Irish Independent).

“The Irish Justice Minister has demanded a rematch after a blatant handball put France into the football World Cup finals. Dermot Ahern lashed out at governing body Fifa after the Republic was cruelly beaten by a controversial extra-time goal illegally set up by French captain Thierry Henry. Dubbed "Le Hand", the Barcelona star confessed to using his arm to control the ball before squaring for teammate William Gallas to finish. Mr Ahern, a passionate soccer fan, called for Fifa to be called to account in the interests of fair play.

The Republic's assistant manager Liam Brady also backed calls for a replay. "For the dignity and integrity of football, we will go to France and play again," the coach said. "(Fifa president) Sepp Blatter goes on about fair play - let him reflect on what happened last night. Where is football going if a team is cheated out of fair play? Where are we going if this decision stands?"

That wasn't the ref. it was a pee take

Back