Government is looking at changing the legislation regarding AH clawback.

It's going to be quite a while - there are a large number of government amendments, apparently.

Thanks for the update Brooklyn..i assume that means then that its not going to be done by the time the Dail break up for the summer..

The good news is that the bill is scheduled for committee stage next week.

The bad news is it's not on the list of bills scheduled for completion by the end of the session.

Committee stage is the first stage where government amendments are introduced. It had been said that this was where the provisions to allow remortgaging without the clawback would be introduced. I had a look through the amendments and couldn't figure out if they actually were there though, but I'm hopeless at reading these things - anyone else want to have go? They're here

Length of time is unpredictable, plus it has to go to report stage (for more amendments) afterwards.

I had a look here previously and i couldnt find any mention of it.. at the same time i didnt know if that meant it was cos it wasnt there or cos it was hidden in all the jargon. I really hope it doesnt mean that its not going to be included in this bill either :-(

Well it's going for report stage next week anyway and is due to conclude then. Good news if this is actually in the bill...!

I emailed. John Gormley about it asking him to point out the bit specifically dealing with Affordable housing remortgaging, and when he thought it might get all legal like. I'll post here when something happens.

I just spoke to someone in the Dept of Environment there and apparently there was a problem with it being included as an amendment in this bill and they have to wait until the next appropriate housing legislation! So again its on hold until god knows when.. Dont suppose anyone heard anything about this? V frustrating..

I found this question and answer, posted on a website dated 22nd April 2010.

Q) Martin Ferris:
"To ask the Minister for the Environment, Heritage and Local Government his plans to bring forward legislation to allow existing local authority mortgage holders to remortgage without triggering the clawback; and if he will make a statement on the matter."

A) John Gormley:
"While provision has been made in the Housing (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2009 to allow purchasers under the new Affordable Dwelling Purchase Arrangements to re-mortgage or top-up their mortgage without triggering the clawback, the Act does not provide this facility for purchasers under existing affordable housing or shared ownership arrangements. I have requested my Department to arrange to have the provisions necessary to address this matter included in the first appropriate legislative vehicle that becomes available."

I assume there is no update on this since the dail is now finished and it'll now be months until anything happens?

I just spoke to the Housing Dept and they said that at the moment there is no housing legislation due to go forward soon that will incorporate this affordable housing condition so god knows when it will end up being approved..have to wait for the next housing legislation to happen..

Has everyone waiting for this legislation had the council revalue their property recently? You might find the clawback wouldn't apply anyway.

Back