Delays in rolling out vaccine

A phenomenal UK performance when you consider that President Biden has set an ambitious target of 1,000,000 per day for the first 100 days of his administration. That's the the equivalent of just 200,000 per day in the UK, a rate three times less than the UK. Somethings not right.
Biden also has the issue of 20m vaccines gone missing. The US is a mess, they used FedEx, UPS to distribute vaccines, and large pharmacys to administer it. One such pharmacy group is now implicated in providing $300,000 to fund the rally in DC for Trump that led to the riot.
Over 40% of care home workers in the US have refused to take the virus, with one loon destroying 19 boxes, saying the sky isn't real and the vaccine contains nano chips from Microsoft.

The UK are many things but they are very good at logistics and its population very willing to do the right thing, and unlike other countries aren't holding back vaccines for second doses as they have Astrazeneca producing .

Looks like von der Lyons and the commission under alot of pressure due to their mishandling of the vaccine rollout. This is a good thing because these people are not directly accountable to the electorates. However uniquely the vaccine crisis has put them squarely in the crosshairs and they don't like it one bit.
They messed up invoking Article 16 however the whole debacle has gotten more vaccines from Astrazeneca and a commitment from Astrazeneca to get production up to what is required in the European plants.
Pfizer has also committed to and extra 75m doses.
And there was a meeting yesterday with Merkel and Macron etc to get to the bottom of the issues.

As per yesterday Israel finished vaccinating everyone in care homes and assisted living facilities.
Article in German though - (Google translate should do reasonable good translation)

Israel sees as well already a significant drop in new infections of the elderly https://twitter.com/segal_eran/status/1356313705684869121

An Israeli/German 38 year Journalist got her first Covid Vaccination in Israel while her 91 year Grandmother was infected in Germany in Hospital with Covid and passed away

Biden also has the issue of 20m vaccines gone missing. The US is a mess, they used FedEx, UPS to distribute vaccines, and large pharmacys to administer it. One such pharmacy group is now implicated in providing $300,000 to fund the rally in DC for Trump that led to the riot.
Over 40% of care home workers in the US have refused to take the virus, with one loon destroying 19 boxes, saying the sky isn't real and the vaccine contains nano chips from Microsoft.

The UK are many things but they are very good at logistics and its population very willing to do the right thing, and unlike other countries aren't holding back vaccines for second doses as they have Astrazeneca producing .

Yes it's really hard to believe that the USA is in such a state. The $300k donation you refer to was given by the daughter of the founder of the supermarket chain PUBLIX and they have said that she has no involvement in the business. Friends of mine have been vaccinated in PUBLIX pharmacy section and it's very well organised according to them.
Given that most of the companies making vaccines are US companies you would think that they would have greater access to vaccines than the UK. The whole AstraZeneca controversy smells very fishy. It seems that the EU commission were not getting proper answers from AstraZeneca and so took the extraordinary step of publishing the contract and then when that didn't work they pressed the article 16 nuclear button. My guess is that the UK put huge pressure on AstraZeneca to allocate more of the output from the UK plants. It appears that the EU have brought AstraZeneca to heel but at a price.
Regarding your point about the UK population being very willing to do the right thing, I'm not so sure. On Channel 4 News they have reported on a lot of vaccine doubters and especially but not just in the BAME community. The better the UK do, the better for us so hopefully they keep up their excellent vaccination performance. I assume that once someone is vaccinated they are much less likely to be contagious?

An Israeli/German 38 year Journalist got her first Covid Vaccination in Israel while her 91 year Grandmother was infected in Germany in Hospital with Covid and passed away
add to the fact that many of them were vaccinated with the Pfizer Biontech vaccine which is essentially the Biontech vaccine as they really developed the technology from scratch. Biontech is basically a german vaccine that has vaccinated alot of the israeli population yet hardly any of the german one, no wonder the german tabloids are all over this and infuriated with Brussels and the german government handling of this.

Impressive rollout..
They are administering up to 1500 doses a day per employee.
Sure at that rate we should be able to vaccinate the country in a few weeks when we get the doses.
At €30 a shot (€60 per full vaccination) the GP's wouldn't be out of pocket either!

NIAC have given their recommendations on vaccine rollout for Ireland.

Recommendation 1
Any currently authorised COVID-19 vaccine can be given to adults of all ages, including those aged
70 and older

Recommendation 2
Vaccination of those aged 70 and older should not be delayed. Where practicable and timely, those aged 70 and older should be given an mRNA vaccine (i.e. Pfizer or Moderna)

Dosing schedule

Recommendation 3
For those aged 65 and older, a 2-dose schedule of COVID-19 Vaccine AstraZeneca® administered
at an interval of 4 - 6 weeks is recommended

Recommendation 4
For those less than 65 years of age, a 2-dose schedule of COVID-19 Vaccine AstraZeneca®
administered at an interval of 4 - 12 weeks is recommended

COVID-19 Vaccine AstraZeneca®
just out of curiosity why did you put the registration mark after the AstraZeneca name but not after the Pfizer or Moderna name. Is that a copy and paste from the NIAC release. is that how you put it there? :)

just out of curiosity why did you put the registration mark after the AstraZeneca name but not after the Pfizer or Moderna name. Is that a copy and paste from the NIAC release. is that how you put it there? :)

How observant of you... I put the Pfizer and Moderna in my own brackets in case it wasn't clear which vaccines it referred to - the rest is a copy and paste from the Twitter link :)

As per yesterday Israel finished vaccinating everyone in care homes and assisted living facilities.

I’m surprised their national rate isn’t higher. Didnt they pay above the going rate to secure extra vaccine? And also agree to share their vaccine statistics with the manufacturer as part of the contract?

Listening to Paul Reid on the News at One today and I just want to scream.

It's all about what they are going to be doing. Doctors not on board yet, Pharmacies not on board yet, talking up small deliveries of vaccines that are only a drop in the ocean to what we need.

It's the 4th February....why is the HSE still at the planning stage.

I agree with you Bronco Lane. In just one day, last Saturday, 598,389 people were given their first coronavirus vaccination in the UK. Here, and indeed in the EU in general, we are way behind.

I fully expect this to turn into the usual mess where the greedy doctors (sorry, front line heroes) get a fortune for doing very little but still complain about it but as of now the HSE have very few vaccines to give out so the delays aren't their fault.

The rollout is slow but I’m not surprised.
Last week Stephen Donnelly said it’d be completed by September. This week Micheal Martin said it’d be December. It will be well into 2022 before everyone has been given a jab.
Then, more questions to be addressed. How long is the jab effective? Six months, a year, forever? Nobody has answered this question yet, it’s too early to say. What if it’s six months though? That would mean those that received the jab in January will need another one in July. Which will delay the rollout even further.

We’ve about 450 million people to vaccinate. National interests within the EU will mean pushing and shoving.

Knowledge about the vaccines themselves is being gained, but that means the plan is changing and evolving, e.g. not giving the AstraZeneca vaccine to over 70ies.

Too much emphasis was put on “finding a vaccine” last year by the media. It left us thinking that a vaccine was a silver bullet. However, it isn’t, not in the short term anyway.
It’s just another arrow in the quiver, along with hand sanitizer, face masks and social distancing.

And just as the virus has evolved in response to those three measures (B117, N501Y), it’ll evolve in response to vaccines.

There‘a a long slow road ahead. At the moment we’re crawling through Monasterevin on a Friday evening at 6pm, circa 2003.
It’ll be a few years yet before our M7/M9 is completed.

Listening to Paul Reid on the News at One today and I just want to scream.

It's all about what they are going to be doing. Doctors not on board yet, Pharmacies not on board yet, talking up small deliveries of vaccines that are only a drop in the ocean to what we need.

And again the lazy journalists fail to ask the proper question.

That would mean those that received the jab in January will need another one in July. Which will delay the rollout even further.

Too early to say, but the early commentary looks positive. Note that effectiveness levels will fade rather than fall off a cliff, so it's still likely a best use of resources to complete a first roll-out rather than start round 2. Production volumes will continue to scale up as well.

Apologies if they've already been answered in this thread but I have two questions.
  1. Why has a decision been taken to only give the AZ vaccine to the under 70's when the EMA approved it for everyone?
  2. On the News tonight I saw a youngish Garda receiving the vaccine. Are Gardaí being vaccinated before elderly and other more vulnerable people?

Last edited:
Apologies if they've already been answered in this thread but I have two questions.
  1. Why has a decision been taken to only give the AZ vaccine to the under 70's when the EMA approved it for everyone?
  2. On the News tonight I saw a youngish Garda receiving the vaccine. Are Gardaí being vaccinated before elderly and other more vulnerable people?

The data from AZ for over 70s isnt as deep as that of Pfizer or Moderna. MRna vaccines are expected to have be less vulnerable to mutation.
AZ is still on the table for over 70s eg if supply dries up of other vaccines.

Gardai are way down the priority list, shouldnt be getting it. Especially as we are trying to keep pfizer for over 70s. Maybe there were spare doses although at this stage that should be expected and allocated to groups 1-4 only.

Back