Can a tenant be given notice to leave at the end of six months with no reason required?

Yes you still run the overholding risk - no more than you do at present - but the tenant has no legal defence.
All else being equal, 4 different tenants over the course of two years significantly increases your chances of getting a bad one who will over-hold. If you're not up-front at the start about the tenancy being limited to 6 months, the surprise of getting termination notice later might tip an otherwise good tenant over the edge into over-holding.

All else being equal, 4 different tenants over the course of two years significantly increases your chances of getting a bad one who will over-hold. If you're not up-front at the start about the tenancy being limited to 6 months, the surprise of getting termination notice later might tip an otherwise good tenant over the edge into over-holding.
Fully agree.

There's far too much effort involved and so much scope for disagreement with tenants. It's not a feasible strategy at individual level, never mind at population level.

If you are going to be a landlord be prepared to have tenants there as long as they want to be.

Most LLs want a tenant that is there a long time with no issues. They used to prepared to offer a reduced rent to retain them.

RPZ made this unstainable going forward.

If you're not up-front at the start about the tenancy being limited to 6 months
Refer Post #1 and post #8; so no surprises.
4 different tenants over the course of two years significantly increases your chances of getting a bad one
Agreed. But still a known risk right now versus the unknown risk of what a Sinn Fein government might do. As of now the legal system will support my right to regain my property; even if it's a tedious process.

it's a risk I prefer over the next two or so years until the next election is over.

Most LLs want a tenant that is there a long time with no issues.
I agree with this too.

But I want the right to regain control of my property at the appropriate time.

6 months only works with a tenant who is compliant. (which hopefully will be most of them)
Anyone who doesn't comply will ignore it and overstay. Then 6 months becomes meaningless.

You can't force a timely recovery of the property. Fooling yourself if you think you can.

You suck it up as you would a bad debt.

Then 6 months becomes meaningless
Yes and no.

Yes in so far as a tenant could overhold - but they could overhold even with a longer tenancy.

No in so far as the tenant does not gain a part 4 tenancy by overholding.

so whilst they may overhold - they will eventually have to leave.

not surprisingly we hear more about the overholding / property trashing tenants than we do about the ones who vacate as they are supposed to

is letting for a six month term risk free? no, it isn't. but it's one I'm prepared to take at this time.

Reactions: jim
Well you started the thread about 6 month leases. So its a bit hard not to mention the entire purpose of the 6 month lease, a reduction in risk.

You may never have the issue. But if you do, you should have reserve to endure however long the overholding takes and costs.

But still a known risk right now versus the unknown risk of what a Sinn Fein government might do. As of now the legal system will support my right to regain my property; even if it's a tedious process.
True, but no matter what Sinn Fein try to do in this regard, it won't happen overnight. Legislation generally takes time to work its way through the system. Yes the Covid measures were rushed in quickly, but I can't see them trying a similar approach with this. This measure will make no meaningful improvement to the rental market so they won't want to rush it in under emergency legislation only to give the opposition more time in advance of the next election to highlight its failure.

Students would still acquire a part 4 once tenancy is over 6 months.

Air BnB requires planning for RPZ; and whatever about cleaning every six months I'm definitely not doing it every week!

Well then you only option is to sell if you not prepared to be in it for the long haul. It's not good to be a reluctant landlord.

I think theres merit in your approach @DannyBoyD.

There might be more hassal for you but if you are upfront at outset, which you said you would be, and if you select your tenants somewhat wisely, I think its a good strategy to protect your property rights vis a vis part 4.

I tend to think about these things in terms of risks or downsides. Heres what i see as risks or downsides.

1 tenant mightoverhold. But thats a risk regardless so possibly a moot point re this strategy.

2. Additional hassal of choosing tenants every 6 months. In current mkt there is any number of possible tenants so as long as you are prepared for this and no what youre doing then its manageable

you only option is to sell if you not prepared to be in it for the long haul
selling is not my only option. the whole point of this thread is about renting property but not potentially being trapped if there is a change of government policy at the next election.

If the property is near Pyrite or Mica affected properties you could rent to home owners that will have difficulty find a property to rent short term. There would be more cleaning and painting required but that could be an option.

No idea where the "Mica" & "Pyrite" notion came from.

Not an issue in my property thankfully & has no bearing on six month letting that I can see.

Back