Can a tenant be given notice to leave at the end of six months with no reason required?

DannyBoyD

Am i right in saying that a tenant can be given notice to leave at the end of six months with no reason required?

this is what it says on the RTB website:

Grounds to end a tenancy​

If a tenancy has lasted less than 6 months, the landlord does not have to give a ground as to why the tenancy is ending.

so I can let my property for 6 months only and the tenant has to move out then; obviously it would only be fair at the start to let tenant know that it will be only six months in the first place.

Last edited:
I think 6 months is clear; it only has to be one day under.

What Im asking is if I can let the property for six months at a time (to different tenants each time) and not be stuck with a long term tenancy?

I think 6 months is clear; it only has to be one day under.

What Im asking is if I can let the property for six months at a time (to different tenants each time) and not be stuck with a long term tenancy?
I think you're right
However from an expense point of view you will have cleaning and decorating every 6 months
Also void until now tenant
Expense of letting agent to find new tenant
And what if due to inertia the tenant is still there after 180 days, for e tenant have a claim?

Better to start with 3 months
Hike up standards
Hike up rent
Ensure they're well gone by 5 months

Cleaning isn't a problem. I dont think I'd have to decorate every six months. In the present market, I doubt there'd be voids. Anyway its a possible strategy until the election is over.

You have to give three months notice these days to end a 6 month tenancy. I'm not sure, but if you give three months notice at say the start of the fifth month, does that mean the tenant now has a Part IV tenancy ie. there for five months followed by the three months notice so in occupation for eight months in total

So I think that you'd tell tenant at the start that this was 6 months only, then at 3 months issue the notice to quit in 3 months time. It shouldnt be a surprise as you said 6 months at the start.

I dont think they can sit up on you then & claim a part 4 as they are overholding if they dont leave.

I dont know about RPZ - maybe someone else does?

I dont understand your post.

If a tenant is given notice to leave before 6 months and they refuse to vacate - they are overholding.

But that is the case anyway!

If you have a tenant right now with a part 4, and you give the appropriate notice as you want to sell / renovate / move in; then the tenant must abide by that.

Yes they could overhold & you have to go through the various steps to get them out; but they don't have a legal defence to stay.

Now what everyone is worried about is tenancies of indefinite duration, where you have no grounds to regain control of your property.

So the only solution is to have shorter lets so that the indefinite duration lease is never acquired.

Yes you still run the overholding risk - no more than you do at present - but the tenant has no legal defence.

You realize they've the last decade trying to get rid of short term let's.

Also making it as hard as possible to evict anyone quickly.

Back