Bord Gais enters the domestic electricity market

Last bill dated 31/12 from ESB was per unit charge of .1597 + Vat 13.5% = .1813.

ESBNOWAY quoted earlier a higher per unit charge of .1861.

Why are the rates different ?

Last bill dated 31/12 from ESB was per unit charge of .1597 + Vat 13.5% = .1813.

ESBNOWAY quoted earlier a higher per unit charge of .1861.

Why are the rates different ?

Because the rates per unit increased as from 1st January.

Regards,

Fnergg

could not get through to customer service. Started doing Airtricity, again slight blimp, got through to customer care immediately

By the way folks, if you are switching to Bord Gais make sure you pay your bills by the due date. Otherwise you will incur interest charges on the debt. See their Terms and Conditions and in particular:

(f) If you do not pay us any sum due under the Contract you will be liable to pay us interest from the due date for payment at a daily rate equal to 2% above the Bank of Ireland AAA Overdraft Rate then in force or, if there is no such rate, then an equivalent rate, accruing on a daily basis until payment is made.

The ESB levies no such charge.

Always read the small print!

Call me stupid, but I'm waiting until the dust settles and some feedback starts to come through. There could be fun with the billing with each side blaming the other if there are errors. Theoretically it's supposed to be simple to change your internet supplier but it hasn't always turned out that way!!

How in the name of God could you cook the turkey with the little bit of gas fizzling through the wires:confused::p

Think of the shock you could get when you turn on your gas cooker:D

... the British owned Airtricity.

Fnergg, it sounds like you have an agenda here - why mention "the British owned Airtricity"? What does it matter who their owners are, if they offer better value and predominantly green energy?

It might seem strange that a company is so philosophical about losing customers but that is the price ESB has to pay in the interests of the greater good.

Do you seriously think that the ESB is interested in the greater good? You must be reading too much marketing material.

The ESB has totally antiquated work practices, and is basically run by the unions. They know they are untouchable because a strike would cripple the country. That's why they have been awarded a 3% pay increase when the national finances are in the greatest crisis since the foundation of the state.

It's great news that finally there's a bit of competition, whether it works effectively or not remains to be seen.

Fnergg, it sounds like you have an agenda here - why mention "the British owned Airtricity"? What does it matter who their owners are, if they offer better value and predominantly green energy?

Do you seriously think that the ESB is interested in the greater good? You must be reading too much marketing material.

The ESB has totally antiquated work practices, and is basically run by the unions. They know they are untouchable because a strike would cripple the country. That's why they have been awarded a 3% pay increase when the national finances are in the greatest crisis since the foundation of the state.

It's great news that finally there's a bit of competition, whether it works effectively or not remains to be seen.

Yes, competition is good even if it's not competition in the real sense of the word. Yes it's good to see choice in the marketplace and prices coming down.

I have no problem with foreign ownership of utilities. Eircom is/was owned by a bunch of Australian bankers/financiers last time I looked and I am a happy customer of theirs. Just thought people ought to know, is all. All things being equal I prefer my puny contribution to the coffers of such companies to stay in Ireland rather than going abroad though. Call me a sentimentalist.

The ESB has an unparalleled record of contribution to the common good. Read it's history. It has done more to better the lives of the Irish people than any other organisation you care to mention.

Do you seriously think the ESB unions would strike for 3.5%? How would any such strike cripple the country? The days when the power generation workers held such power (and they were always the only workers in the ESB who wielded such clout) are long since over. 72% of the power generation market in this country is now produced by private, independent power companies. The last strike by ESB workers was in 1991 and the last widespread power cuts as a result of strike action was back in the 1970s to the best of my knowledge.

Don't forget either that the ESB was not the only organisation to award it's workers the pay increase. Numerous other successful companies have also done so.

The ESB is a very successful company, profitable, and well managed by any yardstick. If that is what "run by the unions" results in then maybe that is the solution for the woes that so much private industry is suffering at the present time. Of course, it is not run by the unions but there is a good partnership arrangement between management and unions in the whole industrial relations arena.

I often think that many commentators would be happier if the ESB were losing money hand over fist, running to the government for bail-outs, suffering strikes every month and so forth because that is what semi-state organisations are supposed to do right? I mean, anything owned by the Government has to be inefficient, right? Unfortunately for such pundits the ESB has never obliged in that respect.

Regards,

Fnergg

Now, if only someone could enter the market to compete with my ridiculously high Bord Gáis heating bill...

You can choose another supplier (Flogas) already and switch your gas from Bord Gais in a similar way that you can switch your electricity from ESB, http://www.flogasnaturalgas.ie/

The problem is their rates are only marginally (about 1%) lower than Bord Gais, though you can get a 60% discount on the standing charge in year 1.

Energy competition however is happily a double edged sword for Bord Gais, Airtricity apparently plan to enter the residential gas market this summer, then I am hoping for some real competition on Gas prices......................

Are you sure?

From ESB t&c's:

'You must pay every bill we send you, including an estimated bill by the date shown on that bill. We may charge you interest if you do not pay the bill by the due date'

I can state absolutely definitively that ESB do not charge any interest on outstanding debt.

Regards,

Fnergg

The ESB has an unparalleled record of contribution to the common good. Read it's history. It has done more to better the lives of the Irish people than any other organisation you care to mention.

The ESB was setup to provide electricity to the state and it did so. I don't regard this as "contributing to the common good", it's just doing the job it's supposed to do. And ESB workers have always been paid very well for doing so.

The ESB is a very successful company, profitable, and well managed by any yardstick. If that is what "run by the unions" results in then maybe that is the solution for the woes that so much private industry is suffering at the present time. Of course, it is not run by the unions but there is a good partnership arrangement between management and unions in the whole industrial relations arena.

I have seen their work practices myself at first hand, in generation, transmission and distribution areas. I worked for ESBI on a short term contract (thus not a full ESB employee) in the '90s. Things may have changed since then, but some of what I saw were extremely inefficient work practices compared to the private sector.

I also know that when one particular power generation station was shut down, the workers continued to turn up, and do nothing, on full pay for over a year. To me that's a company being run by the unions.

Yes the ESB have served the country well by providing a stable electricity supply, nothing more than they're tasked to do. But well managed and efficient, I don't think so.

I'm happy to let Airtricity take some of my cash now. They may not be perfect either but at least they're private and they have to survive on their own.

Fnergg, seriously, give it a rest. You have been asked repeatedly whether you have any connection to ESB and I haven't seen you respond (apologies in advance if I missed it).

The ESB was responsible for electrification in Ireland. Electrification is what has brought so much good, not specifically the ESB.

yes fnergg I agree we all know you have a serious vested interest so let people who have no axe to grind discuss the matter What you are saying about the ESB and how well its run is total bull

ESB went to the regulator before christmas looking for a 15% decrease on it's bill , the regulator would not allow it, and somehow bord Gais doesn't have to go through the regulator. and another thing, when the stormy nights come once again, who is it that will be out fixing the lines, can't see any gas men wanting to go up poles. But the ESB will once again have to show themselves and keep everyone happy, then that will show where bord gais priorities are

Don't be silly, If you are with Bord Gais for your Electricity the same agreement exists from ESB networks to restore your electricity within the normal time frame.

I just wonder if the payback clause in there regular leaflet would still be valid if there was a long outage

ESB went to the regulator before christmas looking for a 15% decrease on it's bill , the regulator would not allow it, and somehow bord Gais doesn't have to go through the regulator. and another thing, when the stormy nights come once again, who is it that will be out fixing the lines, can't see any gas men wanting to go up poles. But the ESB will once again have to show themselves and keep everyone happy, then that will show where bord gais priorities are

I presume you don't work for the ESB or else you would know that it has long since been split and that ESB power generation and supply has as much in common with ESB Networks (going up poles and reading your meter) as Airtricity or Bord Gais.

Just announced.

ESB to lower prices by 10%.

does this mean now that when this is introduced I will now be paying 22% less for my units than in January.

switched to Bord Gais - so 10% + 2% DD + now a further 10% as Bord Gais are to be 10% lower in year 1 than ESB.

does this mean now that when this is introduced I will now be paying 22% less for my units than in January.
Yes. IF Bord Gais are to be believed.

Guaranteed minimum savings of 10%* off ESB rates

* The discount stated is off the applicable ESB domestic tariff unit rate and applies to the first year's consumption. Thereafter the Bord Gáis Energy standard discount tariff will apply which is guaranteed to be at least 5% below ESB unit rates for years two and three of this offer.

I thought this might be the case was hoping anyway. Has anyone received anything in the post since they signed up for Bord Gais electricity online, on 1st day? I haven't heard anything. I wonder if I am connected to Bord Gais yet as I unclicked the waiver? Does anyone know?

I thought this might be the case was hoping anyway. Has anyone received anything in the post since they signed up for Bord Gais electricity online, on 1st day? I haven't heard anything. I wonder if I am connected to Bord Gais yet as I unclicked the waiver? Does anyone know?

The process of electricity switching involves a series of messages that must be exchanged between market participant. i.e. your new supplier and ESB networks
It couild take anything from 18 working days up until generally 2 months before you officially switch.

It mainly depends on

- whether you supplier a meter read or not, generally this decreases the swap time, but only if a valid meter read is provided to networks within their 5 day limit. if you dont it could be up to 2 months before you are officially a customer

and also

- whether ESB Networks are equipped to deal with the volume of all the switches. There are general SLAs they must adhere to but this is probably the first time such customer movement has occured at the one time so ill be glad if they respond well to it, but time will tell

If you don't hear anything Ill give them a few weeks before giving them a call

Back