Bord Gais enters the domestic electricity market

Also get 2% off for been Bord Gais customer for gas
And another 2% off for setting up Direct Debit with them.

10%/5% or even 1% less , it's all good. Better in your pocket than theirs!

10% discount is for the first year only, next two years its 5% below ESB... See the terms & conditions below from bordgais website,
Guaranteed minimum savings of 10%* off ESB rates

* The discount stated is off the applicable ESB domestic tariff unit rate and applies to the first year's consumption. Thereafter the Bord Gáis Energy standard discount tariff will apply which is guaranteed to be at least 5% below ESB unit rates for years two and three of this offer. Terms and conditions apply.

does anyone know if there is a minimum term?? eg 12 months. i cant see it on the website
Apparently not. The T&C says 28 days notice required to terminate. The guy from Bord Gais on the radio, while misrepresenting the 10% saving as being for 3 years rather than just 1 year, said there would be no penalty to switch back to ESB. I wonder could the ESB charge some admin fee for switching over and back.

So are we saying here that if ESB is due to cut prices as planned anyway in the next 4-6 weeks by say 15%, we can get a further 10% (in Year 1 anyway) on top of this?

If so, this could be the first green shoot of the year!

I've switch, 10% off then another 2% for being bord gais customer and another 2% for direct debit. You don't need to be a bord gais customer to register you just need it for the extra 2%

Have just signed with Airtricity. Had been filling in the Bord Gais application, slight blimp and could not get through to customer service. Started doing Airtricity, again slight blimp, got through to customer care immediately and they took all details there and then. That's the way the cookie crumbles! But I can say I took this option because it was greener:)

The discount is only on the usage element of the bill. The standing charge will be the same as that currently ( pardon the pun) charged by ESB. In my case the standing charge accounts for about 33% of the total so the 10% discount is really 7%.
Still going to change, though

We've just changed too. 10% in year one, followed by 5% in 2 and 3, as others have said. Stated to be 10% under ESB even if they counter by dropping their charges. We can leave at any time, and while ESB might levy some switch-back fee, it would probably be counter-productive for them to do so.

Only one downside for us - we lose the budgeting facility whereby our monthly payments are evened out automatically over the year. Now we'll pay the cost of the last two months be it high or low. Still worthwhile, though.

Left the cancellation waiver box unticked on the online form so we can back out over next 7 days if ESB make any radical announcements...

I just switched my self. The only problem is the botched formatting of the terms and conditions, which came to 39 (mainly blank) pages when printed.

Also they don't seem allow Electronic Payments for paying bills!!

From
What payment methods may I choose?
You may choose from Direct Debit, Laser or Credit card by calling 1850 22 22 55, by cash at Post offices, Paypoint and Payzone outlets or by sending us a cheque.

Excuse my ignorance, but how will Bord Gais deliver electricity?

i.e. Is this another form of Irish pseudo-competition whereby Bord Gais will be paying the ESB to use their infrastructure, in the same way as other telecom providers have to lease bandwidth from Eircom?

Yes, the electricity network has become the domain of ESB networks, who rent it out to the various utility companies, including ESB supply. Similar to eircom and RTE.

I just cancelled my ESB Direct Debit and have contacted both Bord Gáis and Airtricity to see what they have to offer. My last bill was over 450 Euro for Nov/Dec (big family). We used 7% less units than we did the same time last year, but the charge per unit increased by 20% in the same period. The Flippers !

Also they don't seem allow Electronic Payments for paying bills!!

From

I don't know why electronic payments would not work, if you transfer the money to your bord gais account. Just say no to direct debits and continue with your switching.

I didn't realise that there is an extra 2% off if you sign up for direct debits. I asked if the account is in credit will the company apply for the direct debit and the answer is no. Therefore if you pay over the amount due before the bills are issued, no direct debit will leave your bank account and you can benefit from the extra 2% off your bill. I made a mistake of skipping this and now I cannot seem to sign up for dd, I hope I can still get this discount if I sign up later.

So is it correct to say that Bord Gais are the cheapest supplier in year one, if you are an existing gas customer but from year two on Airtricity win out because they maintain the 10% discount whereas Bord Gais drops to 5%?

I can't see anywhere on the Airtricity website that states whether the 10% discount is just an introductory offer or an ongoing price promise.

First thing I did when I turned on the PC was got to Board Gais and switch, I havebeen with ESB for 17 years now and never seen them offering me anything to stay with them.

Just switched. I think the ESB and Bord Gais will be surprised by the uptake.

Back